News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Last Superbird Built?

Started by hotrod98, November 21, 2009, 10:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Aero426

I have always liked that car.   It has a nice old look to it with lots of original paint.   The original owners son was a DSAC member a few years ago, so the sellers story seems to match.    I don't know how much of a premium you place on the last one, or one of the last ones.  To me, that is not particularly important.   The positives to me are are Limelight, 4 speed, unrestored and a documented history to day one.

hotrod98

I like the coolant overflow bottle. Is that an original item? Looks totally factory.
Also, what is the part to the right of the master cylinder. Is that part of the cruise control?

Charles Addams

pettybird

I love it. 

the pinstripes are awesome, the 3D graphics are awesome and it's all documented back to day one.  I'd crank up the A/C, stick a CD player where the 8 track is and it would be my road trip car!

FJ5WING

I have the build date from the data sticker in the jamb but how do i determine the specific day? is it on the build sheet? I have that too.
wingless now, but still around.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Alaskan_TA

What is that page from? The AAR / TA info is not right.  ;)

A383Wing

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 21, 2009, 11:30:22 AM
I like the coolant overflow bottle. Is that an original item? Looks totally factory.
Also, what is the part to the right of the master cylinder. Is that part of the cruise control?

Looks like the item to the right of the master cyl is one of those 12v lights that pulls out....that was quite common on GM cars to see that under the hoods

Now I have a question: Looks like the "SUPERBIRD" decals on the rear quarters are black & white....I assume that's not "Factory"....but I do like it.

Bryan

nascarxx29

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 21, 2009, 05:04:51 PM

I got it from a friend in the 80-s.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

472 R/T SE

Wow.  My buddy told me about this car.  He knows who bought it.  It's supposed to be just flat loaded up with paperwork.  He was told the most documented Bird in existence.  

I wonder if the kid knew the buyer was gonna turn around & flip it w/in 3 months.  I knew Galen was coming to town as they asked if I wanted to do an inspection on my Challenger.  The $800 was more than I wanted to spend.

I just called my buddy & mentioned I'd love to take a bunch of pix of it before it sold since someone will prolly restore it.  He said it could be arranged no problem,  :think:  Original paint except one fender & part of a door.

69bronzeT5

I'm really liking that 'Bird. Slots, hood decals and all....there's just something about that car :drool5:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

pettybird

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 21, 2009, 05:04:51 PM

Random AAR/TA question:  Should the center carb bowl vent be open or have a hose running across the valve cover?  The place I'm working part time www.rhcollectibles.com has a pair of 49 state cars that both have bowl vents.  The carbs are the right numbers but that doesn't mean the bowls are original...

Alaskan_TA

Open. Valve cover breather should have one nipple that goes to the air cleaner base.

N95 cars used a three nipple breather, one ran to the bowl vent.

Beep Beep Dave

I seen that one too. What a cool looking ride. I really like it just the way it is.
It would be nice to see in person to see how well all the paintwork matches up.
I would really care about the last Superbird claim either, I just dig the car :2thumbs:
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

62 Max

Quote from: A383Wing on November 21, 2009, 05:07:01 PM

Looks like the item to the right of the master cyl is one of those 12v lights that pulls out....that was quite common on GM cars to see that under the hoods

Now I have a question: Looks like the "SUPERBIRD" decals on the rear quarters are black & white....I assume that's not "Factory"....but I do like it.

Bryan

The wing decals and quarter panel lettering should both be black .

69_500

Quote from: 62 Max on November 22, 2009, 11:27:57 AM

Bryan

Not always. There are plenty of factory Limelight Birds with white lettering on them from the factory.

62 Max

Quote from: 69_500 on November 22, 2009, 01:08:02 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on November 22, 2009, 11:27:57 AM

Bryan

Not always. There are plenty of factory Limelight Birds with white lettering on them from the factory.

69_500

There is a whole batch of known cars that are limelight with white lettering. One of which is owned by Rick Edwards who bought the car brand new. Another is owned by the malcom's.

Just wanted to make an observation. I don't pay as much attention to the Superbirds as I do the Daytona's or 500's but I do notice oddities on them. I believe that is the same paper that mentions the color choices on the Superbirds as well right? And it doesn't list the FK5 color which there were cars built in as well. Seems that with Mopar there is almost always an exception to every one of  their rules that they took the time to write down.

A383Wing

What I meant was that it looks like there are both black and white on the car....like a stand out....I assume this was done aftermarket?

62 Max

Quote from: 69_500 on November 22, 2009, 02:01:19 PM
There is a whole batch of known cars that are limelight with white lettering. One of which is owned by Rick Edwards who bought the car brand new. Another is owned by the malcom's.

Just wanted to make an observation. I don't pay as much attention to the Superbirds as I do the Daytona's or 500's but I do notice oddities on them. I believe that is the same paper that mentions the color choices on the Superbirds as well right? And it doesn't list the FK5 color which there were cars built in as well. Seems that with Mopar there is almost always an exception to every one of  their rules that they took the time to write down.

As far as saying that a car is 100% original,I take that with a grain of salt.I've seen many that were supposedly untouched originals,some were,most were not including one of Malcomb's that was at the Nationals that had paint work a novice could have pointed out.Believe what you want. :Twocents:

69_500

Quote from: 62 Max on November 22, 2009, 04:36:42 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on November 22, 2009, 02:01:19 PM

Just wanted to make an observation. I don't pay as much attention to the Superbirds as I do the Daytona's or 500's but I do notice oddities on them. I believe that is the same paper that mentions the color choices on the Superbirds as well right? And it doesn't list the FK5 color which there were cars built in as well. Seems that with Mopar there is almost always an exception to every one of  their rules that they took the time to write down.

As far as saying that a car is 100% original,I take that with a grain of salt.I've seen many that were supposedly untouched originals,some were most were not including one of Malcomb's that was at the Nationals that had paint work a novice could have pointed out.Believe what you want. :Twocents:

I will agree that there are several of the cars in the survivor tents at shows that have had paint and body work done to them over the years. As far as Rick's car is concerned I'll let him chime in on that one but it has the white lettering on it and the car has only had small paint work done on it.

talkiemopar

O.K.  Danny,
My Bird has original paint and dirt except for lower quarters that were done 30 yrs. back.
serial # on my bird is RM23VOA179713.  As you know mine has white lettering and white decal from factory. Jim Walton had #179712 Limegreen with white lettering and decal. Bob Malcoms #179711 Limegreen with 8000 mi. also has white lettering. #179714 spent some time with a guy in Australia and again Limegreen with white.
Rick and the secretary

talkiemopar

Hmmm getting in on this discussion a little late.  Regarding the last one built it looks like the mount for the over flow looks kinda factory but mind doesn't have holes drilled  thru the radiator core support and antifreeze decal. See now you have Sherry interferring with our conversation.  Once she starts typing not like me who can't stop  :blahblah: :blahblah: :chatting: :soapbox: :puke:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 22, 2009, 01:34:45 AM
Open. Valve cover breather should have one nipple that goes to the air cleaner base.

N95 cars used a three nipple breather, one ran to the bowl vent.

I agree - Single Nipple breather (he said nipple  :D  ) on non N95 - 3 on those.
Which would be with the round flap type bowl valve vent - not the tube. I have seen a few two nipple cars with bowl vent hoses - they were 440-6's though...probably some engineering or AMA info on what States required this combo. Funny - the 70 FSM shows that pic.

I also agree some stuff on the other site mentioned is wrong and I nicely told him years ago....to no avail.

hotrod98

I wonder if the overflow reservoir is off of a c-body or off of a later year car. Or, it may have been a parts department option. Either way, I would love to have one for my car even if it wasn't original to the car. I hate those cheesy parts store overflow reservoirs that are available nowadays.
Note to self...I must be getting old when I'm more concerned about how an overflow reservoir looks than how fast the car might be.

Charles Addams