News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Pig gets a new engine !

Started by firefighter3931, November 23, 2009, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Last week I went to Dwayne's shop (Porter Racing Heads) to dyno the new Big Cube build for my heavy (4100 lb) street/strip Charger aka the "Black Pig". The car is a Tank so it needed to get a new bullet with LOTS of torque to help with the launch & short times. I wanted this to run on pump gas as well because i do drive the car on the street.  :icon_smile_big:

Basic combo : 572ci
- World iron block 4.50 bore
- Eagle 4.50 crank & 7.10 h-beams
- Diamond Racing 4.5in custom dished pistons (10.6:1)
- PRH roller cam
- Isky ez-roll lifters
- Harland Sharp 1.5 rockers
- ICH EZ 295's with some Porter Racing Heads valve/chamber/port work
- MP 337 low rise single plane manifold + 1in open spacer
- Quickfuel 1050 Q-series 4150 carb
- MSD pro-billet distributor
- Firecore 50 ignition wires
- NGK plugs
- 2in dyno headers

The plan ; Basicly i was looking for a strong streetable engine that would be quite responsive for street driving, have nice manners and still make respectable power. Dwyane did all that and then some ! The idle is nice and clean @ 1000-1100 rpm and is very responsive to throttle position change.

The Tq curve is impressive ; over 600ftlb from 3500 to just under 6000. The HP is also holding on pretty solidly after 5500 rpm peak only dropping 8hp over 500 rpm @ 6000.

So basicly we have a 700hp/720tq combo that runs fine on pump gas and idles nice and clean. The QF 1050 carb was tested right out of the box (691 hp) so there is more in it....Dwayne figures 700 hp is no problemo.

I have to thank Dwayne and Kudo's are well deserved. This should be a nice upgrade over the old 446 that Dwayne built several years back. For reference that engine made 530hp/525tq and ran a best of 11.68@116 in the 4100lb BP Charger....on pump gas as well.

Here is the first dyno sheet with the MP 337 manifold/1in spacer & quickfuel carb. This is how it will be run in the car with the stock hood.  :coolgleamA:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Just for reference here is a second pull with the ICH 440-2/carb adapter & tweaked 1150 Dominator. The difference in peak power would be ~25hp vs the M1 337/QF 1050. Running this induction package would require a hood scoop and it wouldn't be as nice to drive on the street with reduced throttle reponse. I'll take the 25hp loss and keep it in Stealth mode.  :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

Very nice Ron!!  That should spin the tires!!!  Are you going to give away the old engine now??   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Challenger340

Looks GREAT Ron  :2thumbs:

WOW !

You starting a new business relocating Building Foundations ?

KEEERAP !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRGD on November 23, 2009, 09:53:15 AM
Very nice Ron!!  That should spin the tires!!!  

Heck...the old 440 boiled the hides at half throttle....can't imagine what this big dog is gonna do to them  :D

Are you going to give away the old engine now??   Bob

Not sure yet what i'm gonna do with that motor. I might install a milder cam and use it in my 70 R/T or just use the top end (heads/intake/carb) and build a 493. I won't be racing that car and want to install a 4spd so it will be a nice cruiser with good street manners. The 70 has cruise control, power brakes, power steering, power windows, 3.23 gears etc...

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on November 23, 2009, 10:06:22 AM
Looks GREAT Ron  :2thumbs:

WOW !

You starting a new business relocating Building Foundations ?

KEEERAP !

Thanks Bob....it's a torque monster for sure !  :icon_smile_big: Just what you need with a 4100lb raceweight Pig !!!  :haha:

The 295 EZ's sure kept the velocity up and brought the Tq peak in early enough to make the car streetable. With the tight lobed roller (110lsa) it has sharp throttle response as well. The Quickfuel 1050 worked pretty nice right out of the box.

Can't wait until spring !  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

suntech

Nice!!
Just curious!! Why did you go with an iron block, when you went with a new one anyway??
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mefirst

:cheers:

-Nice.. -No, better than nice, those are Kick A$$ power numbers :2thumbs:

I think its going to be an interesting season 2010. The race for the case of beer is still on... I have to say, I getting a little nervous.. I knew your new engine would make alot of power, but I did not think it would put out that much... But if the time slips run to much in your favour. I have a "killer" camshaft I can use and also bump up the comp a bit higher... Im going to run al season 2010 N/A wont run a nitrous kit before I have completely rebuilt the engine..

I read in another forum that the oil pressure was a little on the low side in the upper rpm range? You should upgrade the internal oil system to an external. I run a dual line oil system with a swing pickup. Used the stock high volume oil pump, and a longer drive shaft.. Found most of the parts on EBay, reused the oil pump I had from my old 440 (just cleaned it) and bought a new bronze drive shaft from a local speed shop.. This oiling system is probably more than Ill ever need...

..why the 10.6:1 comp??? E-85 Baby :icon_smile_big:

/Tom

SeattleCharger

Thanks for sharing firefighter, that is awesome   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Damn Ron!   You post this as I am contemplating on going back to the stock iron intake :rotz:

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mefirst on November 23, 2009, 01:10:00 PM
 The race for the case of beer is still on... I have to say, I getting a little nervous.. I knew your new engine would make alot of power, but I did not think it would put out that much...

Thanks Tom...it's making really descent power for a pump gas build.

Just got off the phone with Dwayne and the final numbers were ; 721tq @4500/705hp@5800....still making 694hp@6000  :2thumbs:

It's holding on well up top but increased compression and more cam would certainly help  ;)

Why the pump gas ? Because i like doing things the hard way !  :haha:

Get to work buddy....there's a case of Beer riding on this  :cheers:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on November 23, 2009, 01:29:15 PM
Damn Ron!   You post this as I am contemplating on going back to the stock iron intake :rotz:

;)

You need to put a tunnel ram on yours and cut a hole in the hood.....no stock manifolds allowed !  :rofl:

Ron

Musicman

Hey, isn't this the same guy who's been riding me all year for building a torque monster that puts the power on the street :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Great Job Ron, and getting it all in under 6000 RPM with a 110 LSA... Nice work indeed  :2thumbs:...
Hell, who needs rear tires anyway :lol:

Mike

Mefirst

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 23, 2009, 02:08:58 PM
Get to work buddy....there's a case of Beer riding on this  :cheers:

Ron

I am :icon_smile_big:

I have been in contact with Dr. Diff about a new rearaxel. The 727 is down and waiting for a rebuild. Found a chassies shop that hopefully will have time to take my car in for a rollbar installation, before season 2010 starts...

/Tom

greenpigs

So what does your little black book say the 705HP will do for the pig? I think that is about a low 10 ET if I remember right for 4100lbs. :eek2:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

R2

NICE............... :cheers:

I know somebody that is coming after ya....lol ( nice job Ron ) :2thumbs: ;D

RD

wow ron!!! insane!! so is your chassis/suspension ready for this explosive engine?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rolling_Thunder

what are you doing with your old engine ?    :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

8WHEELER

Very nice Ron!!  That should spin the tires!!!  Are you going to give away the old engine now??   Bob

Bob, the intention is NOT to spin the tires   :nana:   :lol:  evan though it might be possible with the torque
numbers this engine is putting out   :yesnod: :yesnod: 

Ron, when you said the next build will be a 572, I did not know you were going to get it done this fast, dude
you made my head spin, good job. So, when does it get slipped into the pig? your probably are doing that right
now, silly me..............

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

SeattleCharger

Hi Dan, how's it going.  Did you get flooded out there this weekend?

Ron, could you take some pics of your car and putting the engine in after?   thanks, Nate

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

8WHEELER

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on November 23, 2009, 10:13:25 PM
Hi Dan, how's it going.  Did you get flooded out there this weekend?

Ron, could you take some pics of your car and putting the engine in after?   thanks, Nate

Hey Nate
Pretty good, did you see my wife's car in the General Charger section?

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bill440rt

S-s-s-s-ssssseven-hundred twenty+ lbs of torque on pump gas?? Oof! I'm just saking thinking about it.
Damn, Ron! That's awesome!!!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar_nut_440_6

Awesome numbers Ron!

Are you planning on putting  more cage in the car?
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

Blown70

:drool5:  WHooly mother of...  :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs:

I missed this thread,  WOW RON, NICE very NICE  :drool5: