News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Pig gets a new engine !

Started by firefighter3931, November 23, 2009, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

oldschool,

Think thats the best news you can get in a situation like that. If it was just a fluke you would be out big time, but they messed up and should (and it seems) are going to pay for their mistake.

oldschool

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 25, 2009, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: oldschool on November 25, 2009, 12:34:34 PM
ron, it is a stock block.found out today,not enough piston to valve clearence.all the exhaust valves hit.the intakes were ok.the machine shop accepted the blame.i'm buying all parts and they do the rest.

Geez.....i'm going to guess that the assembly guy didn't measure the PV clearance ? If i remember correctly you were upgrading to a 1.7 rocker, correct ?

If that's the case then they should be responsible. Hopefully you have enough valvespring to keep things stable. The 1.7 rocker ratio will require some type of spring upgrade or it'll go into valve float.  :Twocents:

I guess the PV check will determine if it's a total lift issue or not. If there is more than .100 PV clearance the problem might lie elsewhere (not enough valvespring)

I'll be interested to hear the final outcome.  :scratchchin:  Keep your head up buddy !  :pity:

Ron
they said they measured it with clay.i dont know how they would have missed it tho.i dont think they used clay.i think they used a dial indicator,and was off a little.i am using 1.7,s with a solid roller cam.things can get close in a hurry.i did upgrade the valvesprings.i use k motion 950,s.they are good to .750".i'm at .700".the pressures are high enough for this cam. they are: 277# @ 1.950" and 722# @1.250".my new pistons are custom wiseco,s.they WILL have deep valve pockets.the other ones were off the shelf pistons.i thought i could buy one piston and fly cut them,but there was not enough material to cut .090".i'll have it up and on the dyno in about a month. fwiw,before it blew, a part throttle pull netted 568 hp and 601 tq.the dyno broke also.the throttle servo would only pull about 3/4 throttle.it was just a bad day........
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

oldschool

Quote from: FLG on November 25, 2009, 01:51:05 PM
oldschool,

Think thats the best news you can get in a situation like that. If it was just a fluke you would be out big time, but they messed up and should (and it seems) are going to pay for their mistake.
they are stand up guys,that i know personaly.i dont think this will ever happen again.the feel really bad.
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

Musicman

Wow Brian... I thought I had all the bad luck... Sorry to hear that the Dyno session didn't go as well as planned. At least they are taking caring of everything for you, that's a plus. :yesnod:
My new build hits the dyno later this week, right after the holiday... Nothing personal, but I hope I have better luck than you did... I'm not sure I can take any more bad luck right now :-\

Mike

P.S. Sorry for hijacking your thread here Ron

oldschool

Quote from: Musicman on November 25, 2009, 04:59:57 PM
Wow Brian... I thought I had all the bad luck... Sorry to hear that the Dyno session didn't go as well as planned. At least they are taking caring of everything for you, that's a plus. :yesnod:
My new build hits the dyno later this week, right after the holiday... Nothing personal, but I hope I have better luck than you did... I'm not sure I can take any more bad luck right now :-\

Mike

P.S. Sorry for hijacking your thread here Ron
thanks mike.yea it sucks when things dont go as planned.good luck with yours.sorry for jacking your thread too ron.
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

firefighter3931

No worries guys....i've hi-jacked a few myself.  :lol:

Carry on boyz  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

R2

I may have to get a new plate for my car... to go with the EVIL 68'

Tilar

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 23, 2009, 02:08:58 PM
Just got off the phone with Dwayne and the final numbers were ; 721tq @4500/705hp@5600....still making 694hp@6000  :2thumbs:

Ron

Wow, Ron... Those are very impressive numbers for pump gas.  Looks like we're going to have to start calling you the man that "Put the squeal into the pig"    :smilielol:

Quote from: R2 on November 26, 2009, 06:16:09 AM

That's pretty cool :2thumbs:

Quote from: Musicman on November 24, 2009, 07:00:08 AM
Think of all those poor little rice rockets out there on the streets, with their scoops and spoilers and nitrous injection, shaking and quivering in fear as the black beast of the north descends upon them. With massive torque, it grinds their bones under the rear tires until all that is left is a wake of discarded frenzy. :lol:

Damn, I think I just got a woody.  :naughty:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

firefighter3931

Quote from: R2 on November 26, 2009, 06:16:09 AM

Do it Douggie !  :devil:

What a contrast ; Mr Clean & Dr Evil.....Love it !  :bow:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Tilar on November 26, 2009, 09:21:03 AM

Wow, Ron... Those are very impressive numbers for pump gas.  Looks like we're going to have to start calling you the man that "Put the squeal into the pig"    :smilielol:

Thanks Dave....maybe Pigs can fly  :pigsfly: time will tell  :lol:

Ron

firefighter3931

Here's the best dyno pull with the re-jetted Quickfuel carb and warmed up oil.  :2thumbs:

Ron

The70RT

Nice. How much do you think the spacer helps?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

firefighter3931

Quote from: The70RT on November 26, 2009, 11:53:10 PM
Nice. How much do you think the spacer helps?

Every engine combination is different, but in this case it was worth ~10hp/ftlbs. I like using them for the heat insulating factor...keeps the carb & fuel cooler.  :2thumbs:

Ron

tan top

:coolgleamA:  thats a nice motor  700 +++ foot pounds  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

firefighter3931

A couple of pics ;

(1) shortblock with 34cc Diamond pistons  :scope:

(2) On the dyno @ Porter Racing Heads  :2thumbs:

Ron

FLG

Looks sweet Ron!!!

Cant wait to see it in the beast!

Musicman

Looks great Ron :drool5:

I like the valve covers :yesnod:... I just put a set of those on my 383, to replace the ones that I stole for the 505 :D

Thanks for posting the pic's  :cheers:

Mike

SeattleCharger

Was the new block you bought stronger or modified than an old stock 440 block?  I mean, could this build be done with a stock 60's 70's block?   thanks, Nate
  what was the $ ballpark?  I assume the heads cost mass money, and the pistons prob. cost a lot, huh.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

firefighter3931

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on December 04, 2009, 11:57:56 PM
Was the new block you bought stronger or modified than an old stock 440 block?  I mean, could this build be done with a stock 60's 70's block?   thanks, Nate
  what was the $ ballpark?  I assume the heads cost mass money, and the pistons prob. cost a lot, huh.

Nate, the block is an aftermarket big bore piece....no way you could punch out a stock block to 4.50inches. These blocks have siamesed cylinder walls and are extra thick. These are capable of handling 2000hp or more !  :coolgleamA:

Everything on a build like this costs big cash....my fun money account is depleted big-time.  :P  :lol:

I haven't calculated the total but it's over 15k....big reliable power costs a bunch !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

1Bad70Charger

CONGRATS RON, that is some mega power that will be propelling the Black Pig well into the 10s!  :cheers:

Bad ass man!  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

firefighter3931

Latest updated pic with the Charlie's pan and dual line swinging pickup.  :coolgleamA:

Looking forward to next season allready !!!  :icon_smile_big:

Big  :2thumbs: to Dwayne @ Porter Racing Heads.

Ron

1Bad70Charger

SWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!  :drool5:  :drool5:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

oldschool

1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

Ghoste

I've likely missed it somewhere Ron, but what are you doing with the bullet that is in the black Pig now? (and no I'm not offering to buy, just asking)

Cooter

Ron, Don't really know 'ya, but that's one badass motor for $15K......I've seen as well everybody here, the $20-$30K engines in a crate that don't make that kinda power...Very well done...I'm just glad to hear you say "Because I like to do it the hard way"..Well, I like to do things the hard way as well with stock blocks, iron heads, pump gas, street tires, AND WITHOUT A HEMI, etc....Hats off to 'ya.. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"