News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Ice Superbird...Next Chapter Now with pics !!!

Started by hotrod98, November 27, 2009, 12:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Well, the Superbird was delivered this morning from Alaska. I absolutely love this car.
Tom kept preparing me for the car not being perfect. Well, he's wrong...in my eyes it is perfect. It has just enough roughness around the edges to make it a true driver in my eyes. I had been thinking all along that I would take up where Tom left off and continue the disassembly and then restore the car back to perfection. That's not gonna happen.
My new plan is to block it, seal it, throw some fresh black paint on it and drive it...a lot.
I drove it home from the drop off point this morning and it drives great. Much better than I had expected.
The only resto work for me other than the paint will be to recover the seats, put new carpet on the console, move the battery from the trunk to the engine bay and a few other odds and ends. There is just no way that I'm going to tear this car down. I want to be driving it and showing it as soon as possible.
As soon as the Daytona clone is together, this car is going into the booth.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Hemidog

That thing looks bad ASS!  :2thumbs:
Perfect daily driver!  ;)

More pics!

hotrod98

Tom jacked the torsion bars up in the front and the air shocks in the back so that it would clear everything while being loaded. Looks kind of cool that way. The car has to be lowered back where it belongs even though the car is in Arkansas. We have paved roads now.  ;D

It's trip started in Ketchikan, shipped to Seattle and then transported here to western Arkansas. I was relieved that there was no damage done to the car. Tom removed the wing, wrapped it up nicely and placed it inside the car. Even with the wing removed, the truck driver said that the car drew a crowd everywhere he stopped.

Here's a pic of the car in the container in Alaska and then a couple of pics of the car sitting in front of my shop.

Charles Addams

69bronzeT5

Awesome...I'd be pumped to have that thing come out of a container just for me :D I thought it was painted though? :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Blown70

mauve66

i always wondered how they tied it down inside the container?? or do they just expect it to sit still as long as noone tilts the container or the ship doesn't have rough seas??  i saw a video once of a container ship losing several hundred containers right off the deck into the ocean, always wondered what was in those containers............................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

4cruzin

Very cool deal!  I would still be jumping up and down!   
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hotrod98

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 27, 2009, 12:46:10 PM
Awesome...I'd be pumped to have that thing come out of a container just for me :D I thought it was painted though? :shruggy:

The story starts when Tom had just started the process of restoring the car to sell. I stepped in and asked for a deal on the car "as is" with no further work. After the deal was made, Tom then on his own decided to go ahead and finish up some of the work that he had started so that the car wouldn't have bare metal showing while in transit. Tom also located the original bucket seats and Dana 60 and reunited them with the car before shipping it to me. There aren't many people in this world like Tom Ferry.
I have never intended to buy a bird that was not in need of at least some resto. I don't like driving cars that someone else has painted. It's a painter thing. This car is in much, much better shape than many of the resto projects that I've looked at over the last couple of years that were priced in the same area as this car. And, this one is running and driving.
It's an original 440 car but has a six pack on it now. The custom air grabber hood is just the kind of thing that I would have done to the car.
Now if someone gives me grief, I can just say that I bought it this way.  ;D
Tom also sent me the stock hood that he had made for the car. There was a thread on here about him making the hood. I'll keep it in case I ever decide to drive it in it's stock appearance form. I already have a set of rallyes so I might do that at some point just for fun.
It's sunny and warm here today so the wife and I have been out tinkering with the car. Can't wait to start driving it to the cruise nights.

Charles Addams

dads_69

Awesome Larry! I remember the last time I had a charger shipped up here from Seattle. Funny part was when I asked where is my car, they said, most likely where those 10 to 15 people are standing, ha-ha. Couldn't see the car at all, and yep, there it was.
What a great feeling that was seeing a car for the first time ever.
Enjoy your new ride.  :2thumbs:
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

billssuperbird

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

The70RT

I have been following your threads. I'm glad you finally got it. It is nice to here stories where someone got what was promised or better than expected  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hotrod98

I hope that Mark and Allen are as happy with the cars that they're buying from me as I am with the Superbird. Mark's Cuda is leaving here tomorrow, headed to the northwest and Allen's car will be ready for him in a few weeks. It was difficult giving up two of my favorite cars to get the bird, but it was worth it.

Charles Addams

41husk

Congrats ! on your new arrival. and I am just like a kid on Christmas waiting for mine to get home.  I know how you feel parting with her, I feel the same about my 68 headed for Australia soon. :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

472 R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 27, 2009, 03:12:18 PM
I hope that Mark and Allen are as happy with the cars that they're buying from me as I am with the Superbird. Mark's Cuda is leaving here tomorrow, headed to the northwest and Allen's car will be ready for him in a few weeks. It was difficult giving up two of my favorite cars to get the bird, but it was worth it.

You're selling your other 'cuda too?  What are the odds that they're both coming up here too?  ;)

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 41husk on November 27, 2009, 03:39:52 PM
I know how you feel parting with her, I feel the same about my 68 headed for Australia soon. :2thumbs:

So it sold?  G-Man buy it?

hotrod98

Oops. I meant Mike.  :icon_smile_big: Forgive, me. I'm a little excited right now.
The transport guys postponed picking your car up until Saturday. They said that they had problems with people not being home on Thanksgiving day and not being able to pick cars up. I wonder why? I guess we have to go by their rules, which seem to change each day.  Sounds like a few women that I know.
The other 71 cuda is safe and sound on the top level of the four post lift...for now. Since I've decided not to do a total resto on the bird, I might accidentally find time to restore the other 71 next year.

Charles Addams

472 R/T SE

I quoted this from one of our emails.  It figures that it was my guy.

"To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers' miss any of their scheduled pick up/delivery times."

superbirdtom

I want to say Larry roper is a man of his word, I have ben around for a while and I had no prolems what soever with the transaction, he is number one in my book!  and I hope to meet him someday ata  wingar meet I AM GOIN G TO START ANOTHER ONE CALLED SCARLET RE D AND IS GONNA BITCHIN    lARRY ISA GREAT GUY HONEST AS HELL AND i CAN;T WAIT TO SE TE PROGRESS PICS   GOOD NITE ALL AM READY T ASS OUT KEYS ARE GETTIN BLURRI.>..

41husk

Yes G-man has bought my 68, I hope he is as excited about owning my Charger as I am purchasing Larry's Daytona :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 41husk on November 28, 2009, 11:13:47 AM
Yes G-man has bought my 68, I hope he is as excited about owning my Charger as I am purchasing Larry's Daytona :2thumbs:

You're welcome.