News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Ice Superbird...Next Chapter Now with pics !!!

Started by hotrod98, November 27, 2009, 12:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Here's another pic taken in the front yard after we got home from Branson. Shows the rallyes a little better.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

tan top

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 27, 2010, 11:21:57 PM
Here's another pic taken in the front yard after we got home from Branson. Shows the rallyes a little better.

congratulations  on the trophy  last week  :yesnod: :2thumbs:

bird looks awesome  :drool5: :drool5: :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

taxspeaker

The latest chapter on the Black Ice Bird.

About 3 weeks ago I bought the Black Ice true Superbird from Larry Roper. He had several people showing interest and 1 very serious guy. I told him I did not want to snatch it from under anyone and to please call the 1 guy back and tell him that the money was available from another buyer who said this 1st guy had dibs. When the 1st guy could not follow through I then bought the car.

It is the history of the car that really grabbed my interest. First-that it was bought from a police impound lot in 1982 for $300 after being abandoned on the street in LA. Then Tom Ferry buying the car, painting it black and using it in marketing for his band, plus the cool fresh air  hood. Finally, the fact that Larry Roper had owned it for so many years, resprayed it and kept it unchanged. I know Larry from my yellow Daytona I bought many years ago, and he is as up-front and honest a Mopar lover as can be found.

The car is incredible. We cut and buffed the paint over the weekend, and I tuned it tonight. There are several minor things to do, but what a great car, and the black color really gets set off in the sun. The tires are old, some little things need to be fixed or changed to my liking, but it is a 4-speed with a 6 barrel, fresh air and 6-coat deep black gloss paint job that is absolutely gorgeous, even from 1 foot away. I even got the "BlkkIce" personalized  plate that was on it when Tom Ferry had it. I would love to get a set of those 1985 Enkei  rims he had on it too.

Look for  it at World of Wheels in Louisville in January, and thanks to Larry Roper for his honesty and care of the car.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

held1823

i was wondering how long I'd have to keep quiet, lol. not quite as mind boggling as the one you sent me on your way back from Texas, but a pretty cool text none the less

great car, and great people on both ends of the transaction
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Congrads Bob !!  That car is very cool.. Almost bought it if my 500 sold but the deal for my 500 feel through and that ended that pursuit... Have fun with her...... It is a fun ride....... Larry, another chapter opens for you.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Impkidd

birdsandbees

Jean. .. Jean.. do you know what your husband's been up to ??!!!  :lol:

Congrats Bob, another beauty in the fleet..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Birdflu

Congratulations Bob!  :cheers:

Wendy and I would sure love to see the collection in person if we ever make it that far South!

moparstuart

congrats bob  I really wanted to buy the car from Tom when it was in Alaska  ( you have two Alaska birds now)  lol  but couldnt afford it  .  I turned  Larry on to the car and glad he got it and has been a great care taker of the car .  Good to hear it has another great caretaker !!!!     
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

taxspeaker

We are getting Black Ice ready for the World of Wheels Show in Louisville on the 22nd/23rd. Have put on new tires, complete tune up, redid all dash wiring to factory gauges and fixed a number of issues (tach, reversed dash light indicator, radio, speaker, rear package tray, antifreeze, trans and diff lube, repaired wiper motor, back up lights and other small things.)

I will be replacing the exhaust next weekend and started on a "judges book" which I put in the front seat of all the cars.

An interesting piece of paperwork is the "abandoned vehicle" title, tow receipt and purchase for $125 in 1983. Last titled in Texas in 1981, it had apparently been abandoned on the street on Los Angeles area at that time. Sadly, the lady that bought it was murdered by her husband a few years later.

tan top

Quote from: taxspeaker on November 02, 2021, 07:02:58 PM
The latest chapter on the Black Ice Bird.

About 3 weeks ago I bought the Black Ice true Superbird from Larry Roper. He had several people showing interest and 1 very serious guy. I told him I did not want to snatch it from under anyone and to please call the 1 guy back and tell him that the money was available from another buyer who said this 1st guy had dibs. When the 1st guy could not follow through I then bought the car.

It is the history of the car that really grabbed my interest. First-that it was bought from a police impound lot in 1982 for $300 after being abandoned on the street in LA. Then Tom Ferry buying the car, painting it black and using it in marketing for his band, plus the cool fresh air  hood. Finally, the fact that Larry Roper had owned it for so many years, resprayed it and kept it unchanged. I know Larry from my yellow Daytona I bought many years ago, and he is as up-front and honest a Mopar lover as can be found.

The car is incredible. We cut and buffed the paint over the weekend, and I tuned it tonight. There are several minor things to do, but what a great car, and the black color really gets set off in the sun. The tires are old, some little things need to be fixed or changed to my liking, but it is a 4-speed with a 6 barrel, fresh air and 6-coat deep black gloss paint job that is absolutely gorgeous, even from 1 foot away. I even got the "BlkkIce" personalized  plate that was on it when Tom Ferry had it. I would love to get a set of those 1985 Enkei  rims he had on it too.

Look for  it at World of Wheels in Louisville in January, and thanks to Larry Roper for his honesty and care of the car.

dont know how i missed this post  :slap:    wow ! nother awesome aero mopar to you collection  ! congratulations Bob  great stuff   :yesnod: :2thumbs: :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

472 R/T SE

Not many better people to buy from than Larry Roper!

Hes a sight unseen type seller to trust.

taxspeaker

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 09, 2022, 10:23:13 AM
Not many better people to buy from than Larry Roper!

Hes a sight unseen type seller to trust.

I totally agree!

Beep Beep Dave

'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

taxspeaker

After months of minor repairs such as tires, exhaust, rebuilt the 6 bbl carbs, wiring updates, etc, I drove the black ice Bird to Mobile Alabama for yesterday and today's Moparfest at the Battleships. Great people, great cars, great weather and once again the only wing car there. Incredible attention to the car, but the best story was when a band member of a heavy metal band walked up and said he knew the Band (Black Ice), played in a heavy metal band, and collected 1980's heavy metal albums. Tom if you read this, you would love him! His picture even fits the car and I got his permission today to post it.

moparstuart

dreamcatcher

The car looks fantastic !  I love that car and its history! I sent an email to Tom. I used to keep in contact with him but haven't herd from him in some time. He is the best! That man helped me out so much over the years. I don't think my S. bird would exist with out his help and all the templates he sent me. Hopefully he will see that his car is in good hands and still out there !
Don
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

dreamcatcher

I got the email back as not a valid address. I hope and pray things are ok with Tom and family. That email address was always good before.   :shruggy:
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

moparstuart

Quote from: dreamcatcher on May 05, 2022, 09:35:36 AM
I got the email back as not a valid address. I hope and pray things are ok with Tom and family. That email address was always good before.   :shruggy:
he pops up on Face book every so often

dreamcatcher

Well glad to hear that. I have a phone number and another email address. I will try them. I haven't talked with Tom in a while.
Thanks

472 R/T SE

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 03, 2021, 08:00:02 AM
Congrads Bob !!  That car is very cool.. Almost bought it if my 500 sold but the deal for my 500 feel through and that ended that pursuit... Have fun with her...... It is a fun ride....... Larry, another chapter opens for you.......

And this car opened the book for you....

taxspeaker

WHile I was in Alaska the video guys did a 90 second pretty cool video on this car as a teaser. They had me record th story of the car before I left and tell me it will be up as a bit longher video within the week. Either way, it's a cool video and they did a great job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYCfXg5moCU

held1823

I'm betting that Matt wishes he had taken you up on your offer now.

Nice work, guys

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

:METAL: :METAL: :METAL: :METAL: :METAL: :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka:    Look at  Bob  Rocking out to the Heavy Metal    TOM will be so proud