News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Ice Superbird...Next Chapter Now with pics !!!

Started by hotrod98, November 27, 2009, 12:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Can't help with a b-body. I have a couple of e-body console harnesses, but they're entirely different.

Been priming some spots on the bird today and stripping the wing braces. Other than a washer welded to the top of two legs, you can't tell the difference btween these factory wing braces and the ones that I build. Now I can tell the guys with the birds that they are correct for their cars as well. All they have to do is modify the bracket that they weld to the floor. The Daytonas bolt down and have the extra flap. Easy alteration.
I "will" have the car painted next week. Getting more excited by the day.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

66chargerkid

I'll just slide my charger in next right  :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

Quote from: 66chargerkid on April 08, 2010, 11:45:32 PM
I'll just slide my charger in next right  :icon_smile_big:
There are four of us working at the shop now and we still can't catch up. I've been letting them do most of the work with me supervising. I'm officially retired from building cars for customers. I said that the Daytona clone would be the last and I plan to stick to that plan. We're starting to do a lot more collision work. It pays a whole lot better and the cars are in and out in days...not months.
I just want to work on my own cars for a couple of years.  I have to start on my new 70 Barracuda drag car next. Then I plan to turn my 71 sassy grass Barracuda into a cuda clone and take it to an auction, hopefully making enough money to pay for these other builds.
At this rate, I may never get my tor-red 71 Cuda finished.  ;D

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Yes. There are a few more vids of the car on there as well including the snow incident. It looked like he had ran the car into the snow bank but he didn't. There was no damage. I have pics taken after they pulled it back onto the highway. After I bought it, I kidded Tom about me bringing the car down from Alaska to warmer weather and then we had the worst winter we've had in many years here in the sunny south. I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

Update. I have the hood and deck lid ready and now all I have left to do is to block the fenders, the cowl and the tail panel. It should be in the booth by Tuesday.
We should have it buffed by Thursday and start re-assembly Friday or Sunday. That's the plan anyway.  :yesnod:

Charles Addams

Aero426

This is Jim Radke's old yellow car taken about 1976-77.   Is this what became the Black Ice car?

Aero426

Rear view

moparstuart

We would have to ask tom for sure , but that is who tom bought the car from so its a good chance  ?  Jim  owned so many wing cars  ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Jim Radke purchased this car in 1983 or later. I have the police paperwork showing that it was impounded and then sold at auction in '83. Jim then bought it from the person that bought it at the sale.
Has to be a different car.

The car is sanded and will be going into the booth in the morning. Didn't get it painted on Tuesday as planned.
We spent the week clearing out a 20x24 wood garage building and then moving it about 100 yards. We needed the space for the new building addition and the builders are anxious to get started. Priorities.
We plan to buff the car on Tuesday. I'll paint the hood and deck lid on Monday and then buff them on Wednesday. Should have plenty of time to get it ready for the show on Saturday here in Greenwood.
Looks like I won't be drag racing this weekend. 

Charles Addams

hotrod98

After several days spent moving a building and a mountain of dirt to make room for the shop expansion, I finally found the time to get the bird into the booth. I shot the body today and plan to shoot the hood and deck lid in the morning. Should be driving the car by Friday if all goes well.
Everyone's trying to talk me into putting the rallyes off of my runner onto the bird for the car show this weekend. I can't believe no one likes my Centerlines. I was planning to steal the Boyds off of the cuda but I think one of my kids is driving it to the show so no go on that idea.
I'll probably just put the Centerlines back on and surprise everyone.

Charles Addams

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparstuart

mauve66

::) ::) ::)
there will be 50 pof them there with rallyes.................... stay different
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

472 R/T SE

Let's see, it's black, then it has an air grabber hood along with no vinyl top. 

There's at least a half dozen of them up here.  You better stay with the Black Ice themed wheels to keep from being a belly button ride. 

:sarcasmalert:   ;)

dads_69

Larry, car looks great, but my question is paint related. How do you like the white paper you used to mask your car vs. the blue paper? I know the paper you used is more expensive, it is here at least. Just thought I'd ask.
Also I vote Centerlines back on the Bird.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

tan top

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 19, 2010, 08:02:17 PM
After several days spent moving a building and a mountain of dirt to make room for the shop expansion, I finally found the time to get the bird into the booth. I shot the body today and plan to shoot the hood and deck lid in the morning. Should be driving the car by Friday if all goes well.
Everyone's trying to talk me into putting the rallyes off of my runner onto the bird for the car show this weekend. I can't believe no one likes my Centerlines. I was planning to steal the Boyds off of the cuda but I think one of my kids is driving it to the show so no go on that idea.
I'll probably just put the Centerlines back on and surprise everyone.

looks good  :coolgleamA:   :2thumbs:
Quote from: moparstuart on April 19, 2010, 09:02:41 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on April 19, 2010, 08:56:13 PM
I vote Rallyes!  :cheers:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod::drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

yep rallyes looks great ! but i love the look of centrelines also :drool5: :shruggy: :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hemidog

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hotrod98

The guy that bought my paint stores from me back in the 90's now has a new paint store here. He lets me buy everything at cost and he just happens to carry the white Carbo paper. I've never had any bleed through from the urethanes with the Carbo paper so I've never seen the need to switch.

I think you guys are right about the rallyes. I really want the car to retain the Black Ice theme. Tom's been trying to get the old Enkei's back for me so that I can keep them as part of the history of the car. I'm only making a couple of changes. I'm removing the console and going back to the correct non console shifter and I removed the extra spoiler that Tom built since it drags the edge of the concrete badly every time I pull it into the garage. I'm afraid I'll damage the nose if I leave it on. I will keep the spoiler of course in case I decide to put it back on at some point.

Charles Addams

superbirdtom

looks great  Im still trying to get the enkeis off the hick.  I will tell you what  I tried to do at the  time was get the most futuristic rims I could find  , if I get you the enkeis  I think you will actually like them as they were never popular and they still look way cool.  I would also keep with the centerlines  just polish em up real good.   its the center caps  that really go with the mean look I was going for.  take and post a pic of the center caps  looks like from the waffen SS.  >  Id definetly put back on the white reflective  wing decals.  oh thats right i think it was good enough shape not to paint it.   Im excited.   you probably can't get any sleep dreaming of  cruising  that dethmobile.

Since  it did have Black Ice Painted on the quarters at one time  , several other band guys nicknamed it.  heres the list.. the Icer--the Ice Bucket--the bucket--the death--the beatings machine--the mobile whorehouse--detherizer.  thats about all I could think of hearing it being called . except when a little kid saw it , and said  look mommy its batman!

moparstuart

I wanna see larry dressed as batman with the cape LOL

moparstuart

hotrod98

Quote from: moparstuart on April 20, 2010, 11:40:11 AM
 Tom forwarded me this  I think they got some facts wrong LOL

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/forum/black-ice-1970-plymouth-superbird-restoration-4964.html

Uhhhhh...yes. Oh well, I guess a little incorrect print is better than no print at all.

The Centerlines are back on the car and the car is out of the booth waiting to be buffed in the morning.

I'm not going to paint the wing and fender scoops at this point. Not enough time. I can always do that later. They still look pretty good.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Here's a sneak peak of the freshly painted body.
Note all of the dirt work around the shop. The car is sitting on part of the pad for the new addition. Been difficult working on numerous projects all at once. The hood and deck lid are in the booth, prepped for paint.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

The hood and deck lid are painted along with the diamonds and the vinyl top moldings. Getting excited now. It's almost time to start assembling this bad boy.

Here's a pic of the center cap on the centerlines.

Charles Addams