News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1966 Charger Instrument Cluster

Started by Demonhead, November 30, 2009, 08:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demonhead

I just bought a pretty decent 1966 Charger, 383 4 speed car. The instrument cluster does not work. Nothing, no gauges, lights, nothing. Any ideas out there of where to start troubleshooting? Thanks.

Ghoste

I believe the site has been having some issues lately but a good place to start is the 66-67 Charger forum.  There is a link in my sig.
You have two issues to deal with there.  Lighting for these cars is powered from a transformer under the dash that converts it to AC and then bumps it up to 240volts.  The white wiring under your dash is for the lighting so you need to treat it with respect because it will bite you hard.  The power pack (transformer) needs to be well grounded.  The next thing you need to know is that the lighting is wired in series so if one part goes out, the whole section goes down.
Guages have the voltage limiter built inside the fuel guage on our cars and they are infamous for burning out.  Does your fuel guage work?  The dash has to be well grounded for everything to work as well.

Topher

And there's a few of us that can help you with your problems.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

Demonhead

Thanks for the reply. I read it a while back and it will help.

ODZKing

Yes, http://66-67charger.com/forum/index.php.  Now when you say the cluster does not work, do you mean the gauges do not register any readings or just thee lights do not work.  Lighting could be several things starting wit the power supply.
No blubs in case you didn't know, it is electroluminecent and the supply runs that.  A service manual would be your friend here as well.
But if you head over to the first gen forum, there are MANY who can help troubleshoot as well as repair issues with the cluster.

Demonhead

Yeah, know there were no bulbs. But right now nothing works. The alternator gauge "moves" but nothing else works, gauges or lights. I am tracking down the wiring now following a wiring diagram to make sure all wires are good. Then will go from there.

Topher

Fuel gauge rebuild for starters. Either the tach, or the driver may be bad, could be a needle shorted out, or the power pak needs rebuilding.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

JohnZepka

You probably need to address your voltage limiter which in that gauge cluster originally was built inside the fuel gauge.  If it is burned up you will need to get inside cut some things out and rig another limiter.  The 66-67 forum has instructions I think or some help from users that know the process.  Also one thing to think about is the cluster grounds itself when it is screwed into the dash,  otherwise you'll fry your gauges. Some things to think about.  JZ.