News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear window defroster

Started by dougc426, November 18, 2009, 11:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougc426

Does anyone out there in charger land know if dodge made a rear window defroster for a charger WITH rear speakers?>It has to be with dual rear speakers though?...Thanks guys

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mike337

Doug,

I asked the same question recently.  With the help of board members, I determined that the speaker/defroster adapter from an E-Body might fit a 68 Charger, but would not fit a 69 Charger because of the v-shaped drop down that runs across the package tray of a 69.  The company I work for has a sheet metal shop, and I am  going to see if one of our wizards can fab an adaptor on the same principle of an E-body one, but that will bolt right into a 69 Charger.  I will post a picture if successfull.

Mike

Dodge Don

I don't know which years you guys are referring to however in 70 you could get the defogger and dual rear speakers. The defogger just gets mounted differently.

dougc426

Quote from: Dodge Don on November 21, 2009, 12:25:13 PM
I don't know which years you guys are referring to however in 70 you could get the defogger and dual rear speakers. The defogger just gets mounted differently.

Don,As you kbnow a 1969 dodge and a 1970 charger are the same?.Do you have a part #?>Any pics?...Thanks for your time...Doug

maxwellwedge

The '69's use one of the rear speaker holes.

dougc426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 13, 2009, 09:37:58 PM
true,But with a dual rear speaker setup you have to have a place to mount the speaker in with the defroster unit...!!!

Dodge Don

Quote from: dougc426 on December 13, 2009, 08:51:59 PM
Quote from: Dodge Don on November 21, 2009, 12:25:13 PM

Don,As you kbnow a 1969 dodge and a 1970 charger are the same?.Do you have a part #?>Any pics?...Thanks for your time...Doug

69 Chargers and 70 Chargers are often very different because of the new features and options on the 70 which has alot of one year only parts (PITA for sourcing parts). Anyways here is how the defogger gets mounted on dual rear speaker cars.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: dougc426 on December 15, 2009, 08:49:32 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 13, 2009, 09:37:58 PM
true,But with a dual rear speaker setup you have to have a place to mount the speaker in with the defroster unit...!!!

I have to check the parts book but that 69 pic has a speaker and the rear defogger - I think you were SOL if you wanted dual speakers and a rear defog - gonna check.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Don it that really how it gets mounted in '70?  Looks half assed to me.   Where would it get the fresh air from if the rear seat panel was installed?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dodge Don

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on December 16, 2009, 03:31:55 AM
Don it that really how it gets mounted in '70?  Looks half assed to me.   Where would it get the fresh air from if the rear seat panel was installed?

Chris, I totally agree. It does look half assed. It gets air from the cavity between the motor/fan and the rear seperation panel. No idea how effective it was vs. mounting in open speaker hole. Again, not sure about 69s but for 70 you could defintely get the rear defogger option and the dual rear speaker option together. I've never researched whether the "half assed" option had to have a hole drilled for the mounting hardware or if they were pre-drilled on all models already.

b5blue

If you explain what your looking for I will check my 70 for it as mine has never had rear defrost but I want to add one. (did these things have an electric heating coil in them?)

Nacho-RT74

no, just blows the air he gets from the cab ( if attached to the speaker location ), same temp.

It has a resistor into assembly just for the speed selector, what keeps cold with same air blowed
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

b5blue

Thank you Nacho, I've been looking at them on eBay and saw one described as "Has heating element intact" and was confused. (now I know they are confused)

mike337

Nacho clued me in to where I could get a repop of the E-body Speaker/Defroster, and I ordered one 2 days ago.  I am going to use the new adaptor to design one to fit a 69 Charger either by adapting it, or using it for construction of a new fiberglass adaptor housing.

Project should start right after Christmas.

I will post progress.

Thanx Again Nacho! :2thumbs:

Mike

dougc426

Quote from: mike337 on December 16, 2009, 12:36:01 PM
Nacho clued me in to where I could get a repop of the E-body Speaker/Defroster, and I ordered one 2 days ago.  I am going to use the new adaptor to design one to fit a 69 Charger either by adapting it, or using it for construction of a new fiberglass adaptor housing.

Project should start right after Christmas.

I will post progress.

Thanx Again Nacho! :2thumbs:

Mike
Hey guys,I have a defroster unit from a 1969 c-body and i was wondering if it could be modified to fit a charger?will post pic tomorrow...Thanks a bunch guys...Doug

dougc426

Mike
Hey guys,I have a defroster unit from a 1969 c-body and i was wondering if it could be modified to fit a charger?will post pic tomorrow...Thanks a bunch guys...Doug

Nacho-RT74

from C body assembly I think only problem you will confront is the outlet/duct width since they are smaller to B/E bodies. C bodies are LAAARGER. Blower and flex hose will work though. Switch... mmmm, dunno