News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuilding my 440 for my #'s Matching build

Started by BLUE68RT4ME, December 01, 2009, 01:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: BSB67 on June 08, 2010, 07:47:13 PM
Sounds like your building something like this:

Yes, almost exactly like that!  lol!  I'll have a different intake and HP exhaust manifolds but yeah, like yours.  How did you fare going through those exhaust manifolds?  Are those the aluminum heads or cast?  Thanks for the post!

Mark
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: GPULLER on June 08, 2010, 03:39:42 PM
Cool Mark...be waiting on the power numbers.  Hows the body coming along?

Reed

Man, the body has been at a stand-still for a while but Aaron promised to get a significant amount done while I'm on vacation in Canada.  I hope to see a great improvement when I get back!

How's the Flat Back?   ;D
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

General_01

Sounds like everything is coming along nicely Mark. Who did you use to build the motor? I used Wheeler.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

BSB67

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on June 09, 2010, 09:06:00 PM

Yes, almost exactly like that!  lol!  I'll have a different intake and HP exhaust manifolds but yeah, like yours.  How did you fare going through those exhaust manifolds?  Are those the aluminum heads or cast?  Thanks for the post!

Mark

I thought that I read you we're using the SD intake.  I think that the right side manifolds are the same except maybe the clocking of the head pipe flange.  The 67 left side is different than the rest but similar.  Aluminum.  The performance is in the sig and more on the web site

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

GPULLER

Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on June 09, 2010, 09:08:14 PM
Quote from: GPULLER on June 08, 2010, 03:39:42 PM
Cool Mark...be waiting on the power numbers.  Hows the body coming along?

Reed

Man, the body has been at a stand-still for a while but Aaron promised to get a significant amount done while I'm on vacation in Canada.  I hope to see a great improvement when I get back!

How's the Flat Back?   ;D

Thats good progress will be made on the body cause as soon as you get your powerplant done you'll wanna be driving it!

The '66 is fine, not much new to report, waiting for some wheels from Stockton, should be here by the end of next week.  Then its getting new shoes, will still have body colored steel cop wheels.  Just getting 15x10's for the rear.

Quote from: BSB67 on June 10, 2010, 06:59:33 PM
Quote from: BLUE68RT4ME on June 09, 2010, 09:06:00 PM

Mark

I thought that I read you we're using the SD intake.  I think that the right side manifolds are the same except maybe the clocking of the head pipe flange.  The 67 left side is different than the rest but similar.  Aluminum.  The performance is in the sig and more on the web site

By your qtr mile time and weight your making around 530hp at the flywheel.  I could live with that.  ;D

firefighter3931

Quote from: GPULLER on June 11, 2010, 09:25:08 AM

By your qtr mile time and weight your making around 530hp at the flywheel.  I could live with that.  ;D

The Moroso speed calculator is showing 560hp to run 120mph at 4150 raceweight.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

GPULLER

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 11, 2010, 10:00:51 AM
Quote from: GPULLER on June 11, 2010, 09:25:08 AM

The Moroso speed calculator is showing 560hp to run 120mph at 4150 raceweight.  :2thumbs:

Ron

The calculator I used was on dragtimes.com   :shruggy:
Still not shabby at 530!

BSB67

Thanks guys.  I usually stay away from talking hp numbers just for this reason, although the Moroso Speed Calc does level the playing field once you have the weight and mph, making it a pretty good tool for relative actual hp comparisons.  However, because it gives an actual hp (i.e. not corrected) you still need to acquire the weather data or DA for the run to make corrected hp comparisions.   The DA on that run was 1740.

Here are a couple of pic and some info:

http://508charger.yolasite.com/

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BLUE68RT4ME

Well, things were running late at the shop and I had to run 30 miles to get a new magnetic pick-up for the distributor but we squeezed one pull in before the day was over.  They assembled it with their own carb and some 1-5/8" headers that they had laying around because they didn't have a flange and tube for my manifolds.  They are having a pair built today.  Anyway, the time we had left before close allowed enough time to get it started, warm it up, check the timing and take a pull just the way it was.  It showed the carb showed up quite rich but they were going to put mine on and jet it once the cam was broke in and everything was seated.  It pulled 518 HP @ 5200 and 614 TQ @ 4000.  I'm hoping I don't lose much going from those small headers to my manifolds but I should know more today.  All-in-all I'm very happy with what I saw.  We'll wait to see what the manifolds bring! :)  :popcrn:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

GPULLER

Sweet numbers...you going to get to know your tire dealer on a first name basis! 

BSB67

Very nice.  Sounds like your having a good time, with more to come.  Keep us posted.   :2thumbs:

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BLUE68RT4ME

Well, final numbers are in.  They gave me the numbers they made with both headers and the manifolds.  I expected the torque to drop less than the HP going from headers to manifolds but

that shows how much I know about cams! LOL. Exactly the opposite was true.  Here you go:

Headers:
525 HP @ 4800
629 TQ @ 4300

Manifolds:
521 HP @ 5300
575 TQ @ 4200

This includes the 512 crank, the compression got higher than expected (10.9:1) because of minor decking of the block and heads.  There was no port work done though.  I was told the pistons ended up .010 under deck.

I plan to run the manifolds like I said from the start.  I also plan to run TTI's 3" exhaust w/X-pipe, unless I hear that it's overkill for this application.

I'll try to list all my components later this weekend.
   :cheers:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

firefighter3931

Congrats Mark, that's excellent power with the stock manifolds !  :2thumbs:

I'm sure the car will be a blast to drive.  :yesnod:

If you can, post up the dyno sheet when you list the other components in the buildup and we'll archive it to the Proven engine builds forum.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BLUE68RT4ME

Will do!  I'm back in SC now but will be back to pick everything up in 1 to 3 weeks.  If I can't get it scanned before then I'll get it then.  :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BSB67

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BLUE68RT4ME

Ok, here are all the details I have on my build, starting with the dyno results.  The first sheet is the results with the manifolds on, the second with a pair of headers that the shop had to use until they had pipes made to fit my stock manifolds.
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

My cam was purchased from Porter Racing Heads, custom ground because of the manifolds.  Porter also supplied the lifters, rockers, and all the rocker accessories.  I also had him nitride the cam for fear of wear purposes.  I can't find the receipt at the moment, but it was about $900 and I think we used the Comp Cam rockers if I'm not mistaken.  If I can't find the info, call him.  He swears by them.  Here is what I did find from Mr. Porter...
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Here is my purchase from 440 Source...
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

Here's my purchase from Summit...
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

BLUE68RT4ME

My machine shop bill was about $2200 for cooking the block and testing it for cracks, boring and decking the block and heads, line honing everything, final balancing, assembly, tuning, dyno, and having exhaust tubes made to run the manifolds on their dyno, as well as any parts I may have overlooked which all I can think of at the moment is cam bearings.
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

firefighter3931

Mark, thanks for posting the dyno sheets  :2thumbs:

As you can see the headers help it hold on up top a little better than with the HP manifolds, but not by that much. Dwayne did a great job with that custom cam, inmo  :yesnod:

I'm sure this motor is going to be a handful on the street....be prepared.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

375instroke

BLUE68RT4ME

I haven't physically seen all my documentation on the cam.  All of that is back in South Dakota and I had the stuff I just posted scanned and emailed to me.  I am not sure if that is the raw cam that Dwayne started with or what.  It was custom ground by him.  In fairness, he makes his living doing that stuff and he's an expert at it, as you can see by my numbers, so me advertising his specs wouldn't do him any favors.  I think he said they were included in my paperwork but I haven't seen all of it yet.  Anyway, I had no problem buying it from him.  He spent a few hours on the phone with me talking builds and different scenarios with no promise for a sale.  He helped me so much I was happy to buy it from him.  Actually, he probably saved me a ton of money because I almost purchased some parts that are almost certain to be a problem as long as you have them in your motor.  His, and Ron's, help was invaluable!   :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"