News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

:icon_smile_blackeye:

The car and the two little ones running around the house are the only ones wearing diapers.  Give me a few years and I'll be ready for Depends though.

Jonathan's fine now, but I know what the reaction from Mom would be if I suggested he tag along to Rosemont.  Plus, that's a 4 day trip (including two schooldays too) rather than 1-1/2 days.  A man's got to know his limitations.

Jimbo, I'm sure you're not the only Canuck shaking your head at tenderfooted types when it comes to 'cold' weather.  I'm fine with it up to a point, but Jonathan didn't bring his coat along on the trip and letting him have some fun ended up backfiring.

Sorry for the hijack, John...

WINGIN IT

Understood about the limitations on taking the boy Gene.

The diaper comment was directed to your car I guess not really at you personally.
Believe it was wearing 4 at the time of the comment/pic  ;)

I hope to be dead before I have to wear Depends, thank you very much
Gotta have a little dignity in my life... :lol:

Mopar John

MCACN SHOW
  Most of our plans fell into place to make the show! The one thing that didn't go according to plan was the replating of the original hood pin clips. I had sent them off to the plater with a 11-15-12 deadline. Then we get our confirmation paperwork stating that the invited AERO car display had a priority move in on 11-15-12! The clips didn't make it here until later that day and were waiting by the door when Linda and I got home. I have attached a picture of the replated clips. I will put them on soon. Another neat part of the show was that all 5 OE Daytonas did make it! Also for the first time Gene Lewis and I were able to line up our consecutive vin Daytonas side by side! Thanks for all the kind comments and visits at the show!
MJ

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

MCACN SHOW PART 2!
  At the MCACN show our Daytona received the Buddy Martin ( of Sox & Martin fame ) celeberity chioce of the show award! When Buddy found out that I have been drag racing for the last 41 years he felt his award went to the right place. I have attached a couple of pictures of the award.
   Finally after the show and working a bunch of hours last week I had some time in the garage. The third picture shows one of the replated hood pin clips installed on the Daytona. I have also attached a picture of an NOS drainplug for the 402 pan and special washer! I recently bought the plug off EBAY and hemigeno gave me the washer. I have seen both for sale recently and now you know what they look like. I am going to check out the ones on the Daytona when I change the oil next spring.
MJ

Davtona

Quote from: Mopar John on November 27, 2012, 07:49:20 PM
                                                                     MCACN SHOW PART 2!
  At the MCACN show our Daytona received the Buddy Martin ( of Sox & Martin fame ) celeberity chioce of the show award! When Buddy found out that I have been drag racing for the last 41 years he felt his award went to the right place. I have attached a couple of pictures of the award.
   Finally after the show and working a bunch of hours last week I had some time in the garage. The third picture shows one of the replated hood pin clips installed on the Daytona. I have also attached a picture of an NOS drainplug for the 402 pan and special washer! I recently bought the plug off EBAY and hemigeno gave me the washer. I have seen both for sale recently and now you know what they look like. I am going to check out the ones on the Daytona when I change the oil next spring.
MJ

Yup John I can confirm that washer is correct for the oil pan plug.  :lol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on November 27, 2012, 07:49:20 PM
                                                                   I have also attached a picture of an NOS drainplug for the 402 pan and special washer! I recently bought the plug off EBAY and hemigeno gave me the washer. I have seen both for sale recently and now you know what they look like. I am going to check out the ones on the Daytona when I change the oil next spring.
MJ

Dedication to the 10th degree !!  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

NOS ENGINE WIRE HARNESS INSTALLED!
After a week of midnights with the last 2 being 14 hour shifts it was time for some of what I call SHOP THERAPY!! I slept until lunch on Monday so I would be able to sleep last night. Then after having lunch with Linda it was out to the shop! I checked the mouse traps to make sure there were no intruders, the de-humidifier and the furnace. All was well and it was time to start the Daytona! I wanted to run it check everything and made sure it worked before and then change out the wire harness. I unhooked the battery and followed the engine harness around one plug at a time till I ended up at the horn relay. This took some time to follow the right path and not mess anything up in the process! I checked all the connectors and then reattached the battery. Next up was to restart the Daytona and again make sure everything related to this harness still worked? Well it was a mission accomplished the horn and washer worked along with the guages and charging system. I have attached a picture of the NOS harness installed at the bulkhead connector and then one of the repro harness. Some of the differances I noticed was wire color, part number tag color and placement and the thickness of the harness over all.
MJ

Mopar John

COMMENTS AT THE MCACN SHOW!!
Here is a summary of comments about our Daytona from the MCACN show and one major followup!
The general public was again amusing as people who knew very little tried to impress their friends! One comment was that ALL Daytonas came with five spoke rally wheels and not those cheesy Dodge Coronet hubcpas! Another was that all Daytonas came with power brakes and ours must have been taken off! The most popular one that makes most sense is with the kids. They all call it the KING from the movie CARS. Well at least it has a wing and it's blue! Most others comments were positive and thumbs up and many pictures taken!
   Aside from the public we had time to spend with fellow Daytona owners who know the cars and have followed a similar path to the show level. I spent time talking with a lot of the Daytona owners and took part in a group seminar on Bob and Sharon Malcoms survivor Daytona. But I spent the most time discussing Daytonas with Gene Lewis who was set up next to us. During one of our chats he told me that the DUM DUM as some call it was missing on the vent windows of our Daytona! When he said that I remember him discussing it and the factory bulletin that he made reference to. Gene showed me how Vance duplicated this on his Daytona. So I made my self a mental note to add this detail. After a couple of stops I was able to get a roll of 3M brand window ribbon which is the same as DUM DUM or butyl.
So yesterday after I got the outside Christmas lights hung up it was back out to the shop! The first thing I did was to look at the other Daytona and the race car to see if there was any DUM DUM on the vent windows from the factory and what it looked like?
  The first two pictures attached are of the 3M window ribbon that I used. The third picture is of an original 70 GTX vent window upper joint and the last picture is of an original Daytona lower vent window joint.
              To be continued!

Mopar John

COMMENTS AT THE MCACN SHOW PART 2!
  So next up was to install the DUM DUM! I cut off a piece and pretended I was back in art class and tried to make the shape I needed. I had an extra vent window and did a test installation on it. I didn't want to experiment on the Daytona. I have attached four pictures for you. The first two are the top vent window joint before and after then the same thing for the bottom vent window joint. So another item checked off the TO DO list. I would like to thank Gene for pointing this out in a positive way. If anyone needs some of this I have quite a bit left. Contact me and I'll try to figurs a way to get it to you. ENJOY!
MJ

Aero426

I assume the butyl is there to keep water out.    It looks like my Superbird has it.   So it must apply across various B-bodies? 

69_500

Don't you just love all the odd ball stuff that weird people notice about these car John? I mean really. Personally all the little odd details on a car is what I love. I am sure you already could guess but I think I took a picture of every car up there at the show, and then turned around and took almost 1,500 pictures of nuts, bolts, screws, tabs, runs in paint, and little odd ball stuff on a handful of cars. I like looking at those pictures more than the ones of whole cars.

Mopar John

Quote from: 69_500 on December 05, 2012, 09:23:35 PM
Don't you just love all the odd ball stuff that weird people notice about these car John? I mean really. Personally all the little odd details on a car is what I love. I am sure you already could guess but I think I took a picture of every car up there at the show, and then turned around and took almost 1,500 pictures of nuts, bolts, screws, tabs, runs in paint, and little odd ball stuff on a handful of cars. I like looking at those pictures more than the ones of whole cars.
Danny,
Only 1,500 pictures? Here are ten reasons why there should have been more taken!
1) One of the only surviving non restored Daytona's was there!
2) Two of twenty nine known HEMI Daytonas were there!
3) Three Daytonas received OE GOLD at this show!
4) Four of the 139 rare 4 speed Daytonas were there!
5) All five of the Mopar Nationals OE GOLD CERTIFIED Daytonas were there!
6) Six of the Daytona owners didn't bring their wives!
7) Seven out of the ten Daytonas had 5 spoke rally wheels on them!
8) There were eight differant original colors of Daytonas there!
9) Nine of the Daytonas had early production grille screens!
10) Ten very nice Daytonas at one show!!
               MJ

69_500

Yeah but there was only 2 Daytona's there that I did not already have a folder of at least 500 pictures of that car on my computer. I probably have 1,000 pics of the Malcolm car. Gene's car I find something new to take pics of every time I see it. Then again he changes something on it every time I turn around too.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on December 06, 2012, 06:44:07 PM
Gene's car I find something new to take pics of every time I see it. Then again he changes something on it every time I turn around too.

So true.... Just can't leave well enough alone, can I ??

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on December 06, 2012, 06:55:52 PM

Thanks John and Geno... Guess I have something else to do with the left over DUM DUM from my wind deflector to windshield DUM DUM installation. I'm back out to the garage to check on my vent window's DUM DUM.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 08, 2012, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on December 06, 2012, 06:55:52 PM

Thanks John and Geno... Guess I have something else to do with the left over DUM DUM from my wind deflector to windshield DUM DUM installation. I'm back out to the garage to check on my vent window's DUM DUM.
Troy,
Take some pictures of what you find! I am curious if there is any DUM DUM there or not?
MJ

pettybird

Quote from: Mopar John on December 05, 2012, 02:04:57 PM
The most popular one that makes most sense is with the kids. They all call it the KING from the movie CARS. Well at least it has a wing and it's blue!

Not my fault the rest of you didn't show up in Petty Blue 'birds!   :nana:

Mopar John

We'll it's been a while since I posted about the B5 Daytona. There are several improvements in the works! One that is close to being done is replacing the rechromed original arm rest bases with a set of NOS bases! I have been watching for these and have finally put a complete set together! I didn't know if I mixed and matched if they all would look correct? I bought the front ones and then bought/traded with fellow Daytona owner Tony Malcein for the rears. Thanks Tony! Here is a picture of the set ready to be installed!
MJ

Mopar John

ORIGINAL DAYTONA LICENSE PLATE HARDWARE!!
 At the MCACN show I had Gene Lewis parked next to me in the consecutive vin display. This gave me a lot of time to chat with Gene and look over all the small details he and Vance built into his restoration. I have previously mentioned the "DUM DUM". Another item I took note of was Gene's original 1969 Charger license plate kit. Almost all of these were opened at the dealership when the cars were prepped. The unused parts were either kept by the service tech and some later sold on EBAY or just lost. I was able to buy an NOS front license plate bracket in the original opened bag and instructions for  a 1970 Cuda from Gene. This is the next best thing to a Charger kit as the Cuda uses the same bracket and hardware. The only differance is there are 2 more nylon nuts and 2 more screws in the kit. I am going to share some pictures of the parts that make up the kits!
The first picture shows the nylon license plate nuts. The more common newer ones are on the left and the original 69/70 are on the right. You will notice that although they look the same the correct ones are almost twice as thick!
The second picture shows the license plate screws. The more common newer ones are again on the left and the original 69/70 are on the right. You will notice again they look the same but the correct ones have a blunt end on the screw not pointed!
The third picture shows the front license plate bracket mounting hardware. Again the newer on the left and correct 69/70 on the right.
The origianls used C clips with bolts with washers not the J nuts and screws!
To be continued! MJ

Mopar John

ORIGINAL DAYTONA LICENSE PLATE KIT!
  Here is a picture of the last 2 pieces in the license plate kit. The front license plate bracket and the rubber bumper.
After assembling all the correct parts I had my wife Linda take the kit to work and got the original bag resealed! THANKS LINDA!
The second picture shows the kit as it looked in the back of all the new 70 CUDA'S and 69 CHARGER"S!! The last picture shows an original Daytona front license plate bracket that should have come along with the original kit. This is my take on what you should have found in the trunk of a new unprepped Daytona trunk.
MJ

r4daytona

Man I give you and Gene credit for finding all these details.  I know I don't have the patience. If you have some of that dum dum left I'd be interested in some.  Is that the same stuff that goes along the whole length of the wind deflector?  PM me and let me know.

Thanks
Tom

moparstuart

Quote from: r4daytona on May 31, 2013, 01:44:31 PM
Man I give you and Gene credit for finding all these details.  I know I don't have the patience. If you have some of that dum dum left I'd be interested in some.  Is that the same stuff that goes along the whole length of the wind deflector?  PM me and let me know.

Thanks
Tom
is it the same stuff at just windshield installer butyl tape  or is it different john

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/48463.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=partsshopping&utm_campaign=partsfeed&gclid=CLangeaIwbcCFQdk7Aode1sApQ
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

Stuart,
The installer tape is differant. Because it's flat it doesn't work out as well as the round stuff that used to be used to install the rear glass. If you back up in my post you will see a picture of my roll of sealer and how much thicker it is. Real good stuff to work with.
MJ

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on May 31, 2013, 06:33:38 PM
Stuart,
The installer tape is differant. Because it's flat it doesn't work out as well as the round stuff that used to be used to install the rear glass. If you back up in my post you will see a picture of my roll of sealer and how much thicker it is. Real good stuff to work with.
MJ
:2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE