News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

Quote from: Mopar John on December 08, 2012, 09:55:01 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 08, 2012, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on December 06, 2012, 06:55:52 PM
:icon_smile_blackeye:

So true.... Just can't leave well enough alone, can I ??
Thanks John and Geno... Guess I have something else to do with the left over DUM DUM from my wind deflector to windshield DUM DUM installation. I'm back out to the garage to check on my vent window's DUM DUM.
Troy,
Take some pictures of what you find! I am curious if there is any DUM DUM there or not?
MJ
All of this talk about DUM DUM got me a wonderin. Where did that name come from? I googled it and I'll bet you guys didn't know that there is a city in India called DUM DUM. There is also a band called The DUM DUM Girls. Now that I know this I feel quite smart even though when I was a kid my nickname was, you guessed it DUM DUM!

Mopar John

Tony,
Maybe when you were a kid they called you DUM DUM but who has the HEMI DAYTONA now!
MJ

Mopar John

" WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS"
I think that's how the song goes? Anyway a while back I get an e-mail out of the blue from my friend Joe Sawyer. He goes by the user name 70gtx440dana on this site. It turns out that Joe bought a stash of parts and included were 3 NOS hubcaps like the ones on our Daytona. He wanted to know if I would be interested before he tried selling them to the general public? We exchanged some e-mails and pictures and I bought them at what I felt was a friend to friend deal! The hubcaps on the Daytona were advertised as NOS and looked great when I got them. But the ones I got from Joe were still in their original boxes and MINTY MINT shape. No flaws and great colors in the painted accents. I have attached some pictures of the hubcaps and original boxes.
Thanks Joe!

69hemidaytona

pettybird

Congrats, I think.  I know they're original but I really don't like those caps  :lol:

70gtx440dana

John....thanks for the kind words. I am so glad those caps went to you and your fine Daytona.  I wish you well in finding that elusive fourth NOS cap.  Take care!  Joe
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

Mopar John

Quote from: 70gtx440dana on October 07, 2013, 08:08:53 PM
John....thanks for the kind words. I am so glad those caps went to you and your fine Daytona.  I wish you well in finding that elusive fourth NOS cap.  Take care!  Joe
Joe,
I have found someone who has just one in a box to finish the set. He is also a friend of mine. He bought it in order to restore his
NOS/MINT hubcaps with fresh paint the right colors! I don't know if I'll end up with it so I'm on the hunt for another still in the box? :shruggy:
Thanks! John

Mopar John

"WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS"  PART 2!
   So at some point I will swap out the hubcaps and while I'm doing that I'll change out the 2 non 69 dated tires for the 2 1969 dated tires I got from hemigeno!
   While I'm on hemigeno he is another friend who helped out with a bunch of parts before and after the Daytona was judged. While we were parked next to each other at the MCACN show I continued to bug Gene about his left overs. I figured now that he was showing the Daytona It was a good time? Soon after that Linda and I made a trip down to Gene's place. Gene and I went through a bunch of his stuff and made a big pile on the work bench. It took some time but I finally got all the stuff paid for and started sorting it out. Some items were just a single when a pair was needed or just parts of a set. A good example is that I bought Gene's left over NOS emergency brake cables. He had 2 pedal to rear cables and 2 short left side cables. One of each loose and one of each in the original packaging. These made excellant reference pieces as so many are loose now. The first thing that happened is that I did a part number search for the missing long right side cable. I found 2 out there! One from Len Dawson and one from Brad's NOS parts. By the time I contacted Len his was sold!@#$%^&*()! Then I contacted Brad and made a trade in his favor of NOS parts and got a long right side cable also in the package! Then last week a pair of NOS rear cables show up on EBAY and I won the auction! WOW! I now have 2 complete sets of emergency brake cables with one extra short left side! So while the wheels and tires are off the B5 Daytona I plan to install the loose NOS cables on it! The EBAY cables arrived just yesterday and I have attached a picture of all the NOS emergency brake cables!
So the bottom line is that all this wouldn't be possible with out the help of hemigeno! THANKS GENE!!!
MJ

hemigeno

Quote from: Mopar John on October 09, 2013, 09:59:56 AM
  So the bottom line is that all this wouldn't be possible with out the help of hemigeno! THANKS GENE!!!
MJ

Glad to help out, John - you did the same for me too!

:cheers:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on October 09, 2013, 09:59:56 AM
                                                  "WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS"  PART 2!

:boogie: :notworthy:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

" WELL SORTED CAR "
Recently I started the B5 Daytona and took it for short ride around the place. I try to do this about once a month just to keep everything fresh and in working order. This time it was cool out and I left the windows up. I noticed a hissing sound coming from the dash board??????? We'll it could only be one thing the hide away headlight vacum system! I made a mental note and when I got some time I found my extra harness and switch and went to investigate. I removed the vacum harness plug off the switch and put it on my extra switch. I started the Daytona and found that I had a vacum leak where one of the hoses went into the switch!@#$%^&**(! So I used some MOPAR rubberized silicone and sealed the leak. I waited a few days and put it back on the switch and started the Daytona again and listened for the hissing sound and it was gone! I then put the retainer clip on and checked this item off my list. Now here is were it gets good! The vacum leak was causing all kinds of problems in the way the Daytona ran! Once the leak was fixed it started better, picked up some idle speed and most noticable was when I mashed down on the pedal the rpm's came up a whole lot better. It would tend to bog then ramp up previously. I blame that on low vacum to operate the distributor advance because of the leak. Now I plan on restting the idle because it's too fast now and recheck the timing because of the distributor advance being affected. I will also recheck the dwell.
If you go back to Talladega 2009 where we had picked up the Daytona and went straight to the show. The Daytona wouldn't even start without priming the carb with a squirt of gas? The first item to be corrected was the fuel pump. I went to a high volume pump thinking it would fill the carb quicker? All it did was send more back to the tank as I had a faulty fuel vapor separator! The next thing that happened is I spent a lot of time with point dwell, sparkplugs and timing trying to get the Daytona to run better! I ended up sending the carb to Scott Harms to get re-rebuilt! He did not rebuild it the first time. When I got the carb back the Daytona started a LOT better and ran a LOT better! I would rate it at 85% then. I had tried other things but not much improvement till I stumbled across the vacum leak. I would now rate the starting and running at 95%! With the items to be checked out I expect it to run real nice and be a "well sorted car"! This is a term I came across recently in a for sale ad and it fits my situation!
MJ

bull

Wow, I've never seen a compilation of NOS this size on a car restoration before. Top notch resto for sure.

I gotta ask a dumb question about the H-pipe on page 33. What's with the flat spots in the tubing?

MRCHARGER

I can't imagine the feeling you must have when you "mash down" the pedal on that incredible Daytona! Such an unbelievably beautiful car and driven like it was originally intended. I think this is the most interesting thread on the site. Thanks.

Mopar John

Quote from: bull on November 13, 2013, 10:16:29 PM
Wow, I've never seen a compilation of NOS this size on a car restoration before. Top notch resto for sure.

I gotta ask a dumb question about the H-pipe on page 33. What's with the flat spots in the tubing?
bull,
Thanks for the praise on all the NOS and restoration!
Today I went out and took a picture of a factory original H pipe. It's rusty but you can see how it gets flat in the cross member area. I believe it is for clearance.
MJ

bull

That makes sense. They just look so long...

maxwellwedge

Factory exhaust have a lot of "flats" in them.

pettybird

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 18, 2013, 11:57:54 AM
Factory exhaust have a lot of "flats" in them.

yeah...since TTI can tuck a 3" exhaust into the car pretty cleanly it seems to me they left Cousin Cletus alone with the pipe flattener a bit too long during R&D. 

Mopar John

2 + 1 + 1 = FULL SET!
Not long ago I posted where I had received a call from my friend and fellow Mopar guy Joe sawyer. During the call he told me that he had picked up 3 NOS hubcaps like the ones on our B5 Daytona. I ended up with those as they were just a bit better than the ones on the Daytona probably because they were stored all these years in their original boxes. After that I started looking around for that fourth cap to make a full set. We'll one popped up on EBAY last week also in the box and I bought it. I want to THANK all the guys who sent me pm's or e-mails telling me about the NOS cap on EBAY! So today I'm off getting ready to start midnights tonight and 426 Linda is working. So I went out to the shop this morning and started all the vehicles as I try to do every couple of weeks. Then I put the B5 Daytona up on jack stands for the winter. After lunch I went to town and when I arrived back home there was a box on the front porch about the size of a hubcap box. My last Christmas present to myself had arrived! I have attached a picture of my now full set of NOS in the box hubcaps! GREAT! I have also attached a picture of a pull tag that I had not spotted before on the back of one of the caps I got from Joe. It shows a quantity of 2! So somewhere along the line a guy added one and made 3 and now I have added the fourth for the full set!
I hope you all have some great holidays!
MJ

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

white

What a great story! When does the book come out and then the movie? :popcrn:

Mopar John

Quote from: white on December 28, 2013, 11:09:26 AM
What a great story! When does the book come out and then the movie? :popcrn:
That's a great idea! :scratchchin:
  I have gone back to the beginning and started to make a copy of the story just in case!
Thanks! MJ

Bob T

What a great score with getting hold of the hubcaps MJ
Your detailing and documentation on this thread is a good read, great to see. Thanks  :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Mopar John

I havn't posted anything about our B5 Daytona in a while. Here is some news about this car. 426 Linda and I received an invitation to show the Daytona at the Concours D'Elegance of America at the Inn at St. John in Plymouth, Michigan on Sunday July 27th. The invitation stated that the Daytona would be part of a special Aero Car class. We accepted and returned the application. We have now receieved our confirmation and credentials! We hope to be part of a nice group of cars on display and that many of you Aero car fans stop by the show and say hi!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on June 26, 2014, 06:08:06 PM
I havn't posted anything about our B5 Daytona in a while. Here is some news about this car. 426 Linda and I received an invitation to show the Daytona at the Concours D'Elegance of America at the Inn at St. John in Plymouth, Michigan on Sunday July 27th. The invitation stated that the Daytona would be part of a special Aero Car class. We accepted and returned the application. We have now receieved our confirmation and credentials! We hope to be part of a nice group of cars on display and that many of you Aero car fans stop by the show and say hi!
MJ

Sounds very nice and fun...... They will be honored and, I'm sure, much appreciative of your car there. You will do the Mopar and Aerocar population proud.......
Troy

69_500

Hope they put my car a long way from your car. Mine looks bad enough on it's own, would look even more worn if it's close to yours.