News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Quote from: 69_500 on June 27, 2014, 03:23:03 PM
Hope they put my car a long way from your car. Mine looks bad enough on it's own, would look even more worn if it's close to yours.

Danny,
You will be fine. I think they like to have a good mix of cars.
That is survivor/unrestored, restored and driven.
See you there!
MJ

Mopar John

NEW COMPUTOR!
Some time last summer my home computer locked up and I couldn't post pictures!
On black Friday Linda bought me a new computer and a couple of weeks ago we
reorganized our den and installed the new computer. It has taken me a while to
self teach myself how to transfer and resize my pictures.

B5 DAYTONA ASH TRAY!
At both the Mopar Natonals and MCACN shows the B5 Daytona was penalized a point
for the condition of the inside of the ash tray! A while ago my friend Tony Malcein
bought a complete NOS ash tray assembly for his Daytona. He had already bought a
receptacle with outside cover. I was able to buy this part from him. My first picture
shows this NOS part. The second picture shows the inside of my original ash tray
after it was bead blasted and replated. On a visit to Troy Angelly's shop I had him
swap out the receptacles. In my third picture you see the NOS receptacle with the
blue outside cover. During this swap Troy noticed that the wrong rivits were used
during the restoration? The ash tray should have compression rivits and not pop rivits!
In the first and second picture you will see the difference on the inside end!
The last picture shows the correct rivits installed on the outside cover.
I am happy to check this item off my to do list! Thanks Tony!
MJ

Davtona

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400489908480?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here are the correct rivets on Ebay John if you ever need more. Interesting fact here a Road Runner or other non rally dash car has the same ash tray receptacle. At least the receptacle is the same and can be riveted to the rally dash car cover. Probably shouldn't have said this as I need one more NOS ashtray. Oh well.  :2thumbs:

daytonalo

Dave ,
What year did I sell you that T/A challenger and what did I sell it to you for ? I'm thinking 1988 for 2500?

Larry

Davtona

Quote from: daytonalo on January 12, 2015, 07:54:06 PM
Dave ,
What year did I sell you that T/A challenger and what did I sell it to you for ? I'm thinking 1988 for 2500?

Larry

Sorry Larry I don't think I'm the Dave you are thinking of if you are referring to me. Another Dave I guess.  :icon_smile_wink:

Oh ya when were going to deliver my Challenger? Still waiting.  :lol:  just kidding, take care. Dave

hemi68charger

Quote from: Davtona on January 12, 2015, 10:12:14 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on January 12, 2015, 07:54:06 PM
Dave ,

Larry

Sorry Larry I don't think I'm the Dave you are thinking of if you are referring to me. Another Dave I guess.  :icon_smile_wink:

Oh ya when were going to deliver my Challenger? Still waiting.  :lol:  just kidding, take care. Dave

Maybe it is Dave W.? He has a TA from what I understand?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on January 12, 2015, 05:46:25 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400489908480?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here are the correct rivets on Ebay John if you ever need more. Interesting fact here a Road Runner or other non rally dash car has the same ash tray receptacle. At least the receptacle is the same and can be riveted to the rally dash car cover. Probably shouldn't have said this as I need one more NOS ashtray. Oh well.  :2thumbs:
Dave,
Thanks for the link to the correct rivits! I think I'll get a pair and put them with the extra NOS outside cover.
Then if I'm lucky and find another nice receptacle I can put another assembly together. Need to get the small
items when you can!
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

FIRST AID FOR MY DAYTONA??
Sometimes when I'm on the internet browsing I come across a neat item!
In my first picture is a Dodge first aid kit that I bought. The second picture
shows the vintage first aid items that are inside. The logo on the first aid kit
looks like it came from 1969 when the Daytona was built?
The third picture shows the first aid kit with the window sticker and the last
picture shows it with the repair manual and interior selector book.
In both cases the Dodge logo looks the same to me. I don't know if dealers
had these around or if you had to order them? In any case a nice addition
to the Daytona glovebox!
MJ

odcics2

Nicked a point for the inside of the ashtray?  Man, glad my car doesn't have one!!   :nana:   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: odcics2 on January 19, 2015, 06:41:48 PM

Nicked a point for the inside of the ashtray?  Man, glad my car doesn't have one!!   :nana:   

That's because it's the only thing they could find on this beautiful machine to complain about!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hemigeno

Quote from: Mopar John on January 19, 2015, 04:20:56 PM
                                                                                        FIRST AID FOR MY DAYTONA??
Sometimes when I'm on the internet browsing I come across a neat item!
In my first picture is a Dodge first aid kit that I bought. The second picture shows the vintage first aid items that are inside. The logo on the first aid kit looks like it came from 1969 when the Daytona was built? The third picture shows the first aid kit with the window sticker and the last
picture shows it with the repair manual and interior selector book. In both cases the Dodge logo looks the same to me. I don't know if dealers
had these around or if you had to order them? In any case a nice addition to the Daytona glovebox!
MJ

John,

I'm by no means an historian when it comes to logos & advertising, etc. - but it appears that logo format for "DODGE" was introduced somewhere around 1964-5, based on what I found on Hamtramck-Historical.com.  Barry may know more on this subject. Here's the link to a catalog cover from Doug Hammer:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1965DealershipDataBook-01.shtml

Regardless, your first aid kit's a cool piece of vintage memorabilia.  Just don't take the aspirin...  :P

:cheers:

500Jon

Stunning Daytona Mopar JOHN!!!

Hope to meet you and your beloved B5 at Dega this year!
Your wonderful car and Life story is excellent on every level...
Its very hard to comprehend this high standard of restoration!
Even by someone like me who adores these Mopar Marvels!

I am (hopefully) driving from LA in a friends SP Birdie...4000miles to go... :coolgleamA:

See you there, Mopar Gods willing...

500Jon.

IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Mopar John

Quote from: 500Jon on January 24, 2015, 07:55:33 AM
Stunning Daytona Mopar JOHN!!!

Hope to meet you and your beloved B5 at Dega this year!
Your wonderful car and Life story is excellent on every level...
Its very hard to comprehend this high standard of restoration!
Even by someone like me who adores these Mopar Marvels!

I am (hopefully) driving from LA in a friends SP Birdie...4000miles to go... :coolgleamA:

See you there, Mopar Gods willing...

500Jon.

500Jon,
We are planning on attending the delayed 45th AERO WARRIOR REUNION with our B5 Daytona!
We did a lot of planning getting ready for it last fall including the purchase of a new trailer!
Hope to meet you and see some others who have had an extra year to finish their aero projects!
Glad you like the story!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on January 27, 2015, 11:23:15 AM
... We are planning on attending the delayed 45th AERO WARRIOR REUNION ...

Any scoop on said event? Maybe we can park our Daytonas in Tim's garage since he has a lot more room now......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

500Jon

Hi Mopar John.

Can't wait to see your stunning Daytona in the Flesh!
Did I mention B5 was my favourite colour followed by Sassy...

Any ways let me tell a Limey story that may sound familiar?
Back in the Eighties I had a 69 Sixpack Bee out side my house in London Town England.
A couple of guys knock on my door (brothers) and say they have a 70 Gtx Racecar in Burnt orange.
Well the 70 Gtx was actually in primer and she was FAST!!!
We got to be good friends and we raced the Gtx for many years.
Best time being 11.001 in stock trim and the stockish 440 engine.
Liked the Gtx's so much I bought my own a 71 Gtx in Sassy green.
Then I find the deal of the Century and buy a race-Dart (was the fastest in Europe 180@8.2 on pump gas).
My Moparmate Jim wanted in on the deal and gave me his 70 Gtx for half the Dart.
We took the 440 outta the Gtx and put it in the Dart, changed the cam and it went BANG!!!
That starts a whole new saga.....
Well any ways after 5 years of having the 70 Gtx I never used it, no motor.
So I sold it back to GtxJim and carried on with my own 71 GTX...

I hope to have both my Sassy 71 Gtx and my F8 C500 up and running this year...

ITS NOT EASY BEING GREEN!!!
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Mopar John

THE B5 DAYTONA NOW HAS A B5 SCHWINN BIKE FRIEND!
About a month or so ago Linda and I were in an antique store looking around and found what looks like a B5 blue Schwinn bike!
It is a Schwinn SLIK CHIK bike blue in color and all original. I got some information and contacted Bob Ashton that puts on the
MCACN shows. Bob is also a bike collector and has been adding muscle bikes to his shows the last few years.
After I got some info from Bob we went back and looked at the bike. It turns out that it's an all original bike including the tires.
Now get this, it was made within a few days of the B5 blue Daytona! The bike has a build date of May 1969! WOW!
I made an offer on the bike and it was accepted. We brought it home about a week ago. We aired up the original tires
and Linda was out for a spin. I have never seen another girls bike like this!
MJ

rikubot

There is no way to leave a trader score on this site (there should be!), so I'll just leave this here:

I recently posted a WANT ad on this site for a dash bezel for my '69 Charger. Long story short, John saw this and messaged me with a deal I couldn't resist. The part was in amazing shape and he shipped it early the next morning. I now have all three correct bezel pieces (my car has been without for 15+ years) and I couldn't be more impressed with the quality of the piece.

He gets an A++++++ rating and 10/10 stars. If you are looking for quality stuff, get a hold of this guy ASAP.  :2thumbs:

- Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

Aero426

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

It has been a while since I posted about our B5 Daytona.
It has been on loan to the Gilmore Car Museum enjoying lots of attention.

I have never stopped looking for items that would make the Daytona more correct.
Recently a guy listed some original Goodyear F70 X 14 white line tires for sale on Moparts.
There was one that was made in April of 1969!
I purchased it and now have a full set of tires that were made just before the Daytona.
I have one from February 1969, two from April 1969 and one from May 1969.
I also have one from September 1969 as the spare for now.
I am still on the lookout for one more made before June 1969.
The first picture shows the recent tires date code of JS02P12.
The second picture shows the outside of the tire.
The last picture is a close up of tire tread that's in great shape.

green69rt

John, I'm going to throw out a big caution on those tires.  The only time I would put them on you car is after it has rolled where it needs to go and is standing still.  I wouldn't even use them to roll on and off of a trailer.  From the pictures, the tires look nice, what you can't see is the hardening of the rubber and cords inside the tire.   There don't look to be any tiny cracks in the rubber surface but that is probably only because they have not had weight put on them and then flexed.  I would be willing to bet a couple of bucks that the first time you put them on your car and roll it very far at all (1/2 mile) you'll see a bunch of hairline cracks appear.  Just because they've never been used does not mean they have not aged.   :Twocents:

Use them for show but not for GO.

Mopar John

Quote from: green69rt on January 26, 2016, 05:40:42 PM
John, I'm going to throw out a big caution on those tires.  The only time I would put them on you car is after it has rolled where it needs to go and is standing still.  I wouldn't even use them to roll on and off of a trailer.  From the pictures, the tires look nice, what you can't see is the hardening of the rubber and cords inside the tire.   There don't look to be any tiny cracks in the rubber surface but that is probably only because they have not had weight put on them and then flexed.  I would be willing to bet a couple of bucks that the first time you put them on your car and roll it very far at all (1/2 mile) you'll see a bunch of hairline cracks appear.  Just because they've never been used does not mean they have not aged.   :Twocents:

Use them for show but not for GO.
green69rt,
Thanks for the warning and information on the tires!
Our Daytona has had about 40 miles put on it since restoration back in 2008!
Most of those miles were at the 40th Aero Warrior Reunion at Talladega!
The Daytona was on reproduction tires at that time.
Those have been sold for another restoration as I found the originals.
For now the car resides in the Gilmore Car Museum.
MJ

Mopar John

2016 MOPARS AT THE RED BARNS!
  Yesterday Linda and I planned to take our Superbird to the 2016 Mopars AT The Red Barns show.
It's about a 100 mile drive and about half way there it started raining and got worse as we got closer to the show !@#$%^&*()!
We decided to leave the Superbird in the trailer and visit our Daytona that's on loan to the Gilmore Car Museum.
To keep the museum fresh they have moved the Daytona and the other cars from the Mid Century Performance display
into the newly created muscle car room!
They have added a few more cars including a very nice 1970 Superbee!
Attached is a picture of the Daytona in the muscle car room.
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on July 31, 2016, 06:34:46 PM
                                                                  2016 MOPARS AT THE RED BARNS!
  Yesterday Linda and I planned to take our Superbird to the 2016 Mopars AT The Red Barns show.
It's about a 100 mile drive and about half way there it started raining and got worse as we got closer to the show !@#$%^&*()!
We decided to leave the Superbird in the trailer and visit our Daytona that's on loan to the Gilmore Car Museum.
To keep the museum fresh they have moved the Daytona and the other cars from the Mid Century Performance display
into the newly created muscle car room!
They have added a few more cars including a very nice 1970 Superbee!
Attached is a picture of the Daytona in the muscle car room.
MJ

Very cool !!!!  Fitting to have the moon landing picture over looking your Daytona....   :2thumbs:
Troy