News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PlainfieldCharger

Congrats on the Belvidere show and that GTX is just so sweet in the air....... :coolgleamA:

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mopar John

I just wanted to let everyone to know that the subject of this post our B5 Daytona is now up for sale!
We have an ad on this site in the cars for sale section.
Thanks to all who have helped make the Daytona the special car it is!
John & Linda Borzych

Mopar John

OUR B5 DAYTONA HAS FEATURE ARTICLE ON MOPAR CONNECTION MAGAZINE!
Thanks to feature editor Cody Cole one of our own members here 69bronzeT5.
Cody has been working on this story and it's now on the Mopar Connection Magazine website in the features section.
Cody did a nice job using a lot of information and pictures from this post and some never seen before pictures.
This blend of information and pictures created a neat article for us!
Thanks! MJ

69bfan

After seeing the car at the Aero show and then reading the article, it is a fascinating article about the car, its history and the fact that John's efforts to save and maintain the accuracy of his cars is outstanding.  His passion for the cars is real and the article is a tribute to both John and the car for all that they stand for.  Excellent Job!!!
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 69bfan on October 30, 2019, 09:58:09 PM
After seeing the car at the Aero show and then reading the article, it is a fascinating article about the car, its history and the fact that John's efforts to save and maintain the accuracy of his cars is outstanding.  His passion for the cars is real and the article is a tribute to both John and the car for all that they stand for.  Excellent Job!!!

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate the kind words!  :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Mopar John

DAYTONA INDIVIDUAL HEAD LIGHT BUCKET DETAILS!
  Recently I was browsing the want ads and found a guy looking for an 889 head light bucket?
So I went to my basement and checked out my pile of head light buckets and sure enough they had stampings with info.
So the next chance I got I went out to the Daytona and opened the head light doors removed the retainer rings and
checked to see if I had the correct head light buckets?
I was unable to get a good picture because of the light stamping and lighting of the first one.
It read HI-5RT-886 and this was the high beam right side bucket.
My first picture shows the high beam left side bucket stamped HI-5LT-887.
My second picture shows the low beam right side bucket stamped HI-LO5-RT-888.
The last picture shows the low beam left side bucket stamped HI-LO5-LT-889.
I thought I would share this detail as I have not discussed it before here.
MJ

Mopar John

DAYTONA DISTRIBUTOR
Even though this Daytona is up for sale we continue to enjoy it.
Last year we actually drove it to a couple of local shows here in town!
I also continue to upgrade it whenever possible!
I have been working on the distributor upgrade for sometime and finally got it done.
When the Daytona was restored I bought a second 2875758 distributor.
I think it was mainly for the original and working 2875754 vacuum advance unit.
As I sorted the Daytona out I got it where it would start pretty good but not great in my opinion.
I messed with all kinds of things and made many adjustments.
I even had a couple of Mopar friends over to help.
Recently I was able to buy an NOS 2875754 vacuum advance unit from a friend who sold his 69 Charger.
With the advance in hand I sent my second 2875758 distributor and all the parts over to Joe White in Ohio.
I asked Joe to restore the distributor and then set the dwell and advance curve on his SUN machine.
The distributor came back looking great!
I installed it in the Daytona on New Years and what a difference it made in the cold startup!
I have attached some pictures.
The first one shows the restored distributor installed.
The second one shows the NOS 2875754 vacuum advance unit.
The third one shows the difference between an original factory tag and the Bill Rolik reproduction.
The last picture shows the other 2875758 distributor after I removed it from the Daytona.
I usually start the Daytona once every 1-2 weeks just to keep everything operating well.
In addition in nice weather I will drive to the end of our long driveway and back or to the local college about a mile away!
Happy New Year! MJ

johntpr

Mopar John

FAREWELL MY B5 BLUE DAYTONA!
  After nearly 40 years of being the caretaker of this RARE and unique automobile it's time to say goodbye.
I am PROUD to say this Daytona leaves our hands in much better condition than when I found it!
My wife 426 Linda and I have enjoyed all the shows and events that we attended with this Daytona.
The new owner found us through the ad on "CARSONLINE".
I would consider him a car guy but not a MOPAR guy.
I hope the Daytona will bring him over to our side of the hobby.
He was looking for a NON RED NON ORANGE Daytona since there are so many of those around.
He was looking for a certified low miles Daytona and not a "restoration rollback" on the odometer.
He also wanted a correct car with matching numbers engine, transmission along with
a original fender tag and broadcast sheet.
He got it all with this Daytona!
We delivered the car last Sunday to central Illinois so the Daytona only moved about 4 hours away.
We still have our original aero car the 440 Six Barrel Superbird and GTX race car
along with Linda's 2007 Shelby GT500 to keep us busy.
MJ

birdsandbees

Glad she found a good home John!   :2thumbs:  We tried to get a piece of Northern property sold so we could add it to our collection, but with Covid that just hasn't happened.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Birdflu

John...I'll bet that was tough to do, but all part of your and Linda's plan I'm sure! Glad you sold it!  :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Glad you two are happy and content..... That has to be a mix-feeling situation....

Thanks again for this thread and the future reference material it will offer up........  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

wingcarenvy

Congrats on the sale. I think this collector is getting way more than he will ever know! What a story, no, saga. Junkyard to jewel.