News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Yup - The blue and white is an over the counter unit - still early though. I have a half a case of those but Canadian - they have "Chryco" on them.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on March 12, 2010, 10:40:16 PM
Quote from: tan top on March 12, 2010, 01:53:28 PM
:coolgleamA: good pictures :drool5: & story ! wonder what Daytona  the deck lid came off  :scratchchin: looks Y4 :scratchchin: :popcrn:
I bought the decklid, wing and hood from Monroe Schellinger many years ago! The decklid and wing came from the same car. According to Monroe both Daytonas were parted out!

Hey, that's my hood!   :lol:

nascarxx29

The goldline filter was a assembly line piece .The first time the car got serviced at dealer they had replacements like the one my car had same car also had original fanbelts car was parked and off the road since mid 70-s
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Quote from: 69_500 on March 14, 2010, 07:09:04 PM
John I'm under the impression that the one you listed in your photo would be the correct one if your going after an assembly line appearance to the car. The one in Daves photo I'm pretty sure is just a Mopar replacement filter.
Dan,
I agree with your observations!
Thanks!

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 14, 2010, 09:43:04 PM
The goldline filter was a assembly line piece .The first time the car got serviced at dealer they had replacements like the one my car had same car also had original fanbelts car was parked and off the road since mid 70-s

Dave,
Thanks for the picture of your original belts! We have a pair of the Quanta reproductions on the car for now. I have the original power steering belt as you have pictured and have the alternator belt on my want list. I am looking for a good used to match the power steering belt or an NOS one if it comes along. The Quantas are a very good reproduction of the originals! I purchased some superceded originals from my Mopar parts department and they are no longer imprinted like the originals! They have white labeling on the belts they sell now!

Mopar John

THE RESTORATION BEGINS!
  Sorry about the long delay in between posts! I've been busy with work and putting stone down on my driveway after the spring thaw! It also took me some time to set up the pictures from the disc to something I could transfer to this site easily! As I said we dropped the Daytona off at Troy Angelly Restorations on November 15th 2008. Just before Christmas we received our first invoice and pictures. In the first few weeks the Daytona was completely taken apart! Every part was bagged and tagged! The first thing that I was really impressed with is how they were able to take this 40 year old car apart and not break any of the hardware! Right then I was beginning to feel good about our decision to have Troy do the restoration! When we discussed the restoration Troy said that he preferred to dip the body parts to remove all the old paint, sealers and in our case the rust! So I will start this venture with the body shell. I have attached pictures of it on it's way to REDI-STRIP in Evansville, Indiana!

nascarxx29

I white chalked them to show up better for camera.I had Dave Patik at PCG borrow them for a while to copy the stamp pressed graphics.Will see if I can find any nos.Quanta Im not sure on this did them for GM restos .

Mopar John

Here are a couple of more pictures of it mounted on a trailer for the ride to REDI-STRIP!

hemi68charger

Great shots........ This is going to be one cool trip.........  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 18, 2010, 10:45:19 AM
I white chalked them to show up better for camera.I had Dave Patik at PCG borrow them for a while to copy the stamp pressed graphics.Will see if I can find any nos.Quanta Im not sure on this did them for GM restos .
Dave,
Thanks for the offer to help find an NOS belt. I would settle for a very good used to match the power steering belt also!

nascarxx29

Old post but worth a shot contacting poster M coop showed 1 of the 2 belts belt if its available or not?.Also check bradsnos.com
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1495101&an=0&page=0

Did see the quantas one not bad

http://www.quantaproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=B-4703A

Mopar John

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 18, 2010, 10:58:09 AM
Old post but worth a shot contacting poster M coop showed 1 of the 2 belts belt if its available or not?.Also check bradsnos.com
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1495101&an=0&page=0

Did see the quantas one not bad

http://www.quantaproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=B-4703A
Dave,
You are correct! The Quantas are not bad! I have corrected my prior post about the belts! It is the new Mopar belts that have the white labeling on them not the Quantas! After I read your post I spent about an hour looking at my cars and sorting all this out. I do have the Quantas on the Daytona for now and they are a close reproduction!
Thanks!

Mopar John

While Troy was waiting for the body to take a bath he was busy sorting all the parts. One of the first things he did was get all the chrome to be replated sorted out. I think he sent 27 pieces to the plater on this item alone! He sent the taillight bezels, rear bumper and bumper guards, outside door handles ( my new Mopar NOS were the curved superceded ones! ), inside door handles, ash trays and vent window frames. His guys were busy working on the suspension parts, k-member and rearend housing. They did it this way so they could put the body back on the ground when it was done! I have attached some pictures of the parts going to get rechromed!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on March 19, 2010, 10:56:30 AM
..., outside door handles ( my new Mopar NOS were the curved superceded ones! ),...

Exactly !!!  That's what I try to explain to locals here at our club meetings and such. The "NOS" door handles that are available out there are nothing more than left over NOS truck door handles from the mid-to-late 70's era. There is a difference in fit and appearance. That is why I decided to get the original outside door handles on the '68 Hemi rechromed instead of putting "new" ones on..... The rechroming was cheaper than buying NOS ones on the market and they fit noticeably better.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

THE DAYTONA IS BACK FROM REDI-STRIP!!
About once a month I would leave around 7am and have lunch on the way arriving at Troy's shop just after their lunch hour. I would have all the parts I purchased sent to me and check them out first. I didn't want Troy caught in the middle of bad parts deals! So,
I would take what ever I purchased with me. Then I would check out the restoration and bring back any parts that wouldn't be used on the car. I would usually get back home between 9 and 10pm! It was a long day and a lot of driving but well worth it! Troy would keep me posted on the progress by phone or e-mail. He let me know the car was back from REDI-STRIP!! My next visit was planned soon after that!! I couldn't wait to see it minus the rust and hopefully not much else would be missing! Speaking of missing, Troy informed me when he dropped the Daytona off that Roger Gibson Restorations had also dropped off a Daytona for a dip in tank! I was worried that some parts might get mixed up !@#$%^&*()?? Troy had told me that the front fenders that we were using off the R4 Daytona were some of the best that he had seen! I decide to use my primo fenders on the B5 Daytona and use the best of my extra used fenders on the R4 Daytona. The fenders that you saw in the pictures that were originally on the B5 car will be my spares! I have attached a couple of pictures that I took on my visit and a couple from the photo album! Next, my plan is to take a small area of the body shell and show pictures of the repair process of the area. An example would be where some metal was replaced in the battery area. ENJOY!

Mopar John

Here are some pictures of the rechromed parts back on the Daytona! I have experienced some horror stories on the vent window chrome. Several guys have sent the vent window frame assemblies to the rechromers who would take them apart for rechroming and then send all the loose parts back!@#$%^&*! Now they are totally lost on how it goes back together and what to use. Troy had done this several times and was no issue! The taillight trim was done with what the plater called a 4 sided process! It cost a little more but at least 3 sides are visable from differant angles. The parts all came back really nice!

Mopar John

BATTERY TRAY AREA!
Alright! My plan is to work my way around the body shell of the car and show the problem areas and how they were repaired. I am going to start with the battery tray area. I have a picture of that area before the car was dipped. I also have one after it was dipped and all the rust removed. The next picture is of the bad area cut out and last the patch welded in. I want to make note here that Troy went out back to one of his donor cars and remove the area for the patch! So that piece is original Mopar metal!

Mopar John

BATTERY TRAY AREA CONTINUED!
The patch was then welded in and ground down. Next was the light coat of body filler. The filler was then sanded down and then a coat of epoxy primer was applied! At this point it looks great already! It remained this way until the entire engine bay was sanded and primered several times before the final primer was applied! I will move to another area in the engine compartment next!

moparstuart

I think its great you guys decide to just patch it and leave as much original sheet metal as possible .  Alot of people just replace the complete inner fender .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

Quote from: moparstuart on March 24, 2010, 01:35:44 PM
I think its great you guys decide to just patch it and leave as much original sheet metal as possible .  Alot of people just replace the complete inner fender .

Stuart,
We tried to restore as much original as possible! Then we tried to use original off the R4 Daytona or other parts cars. We also used quite a bit of NOS also. Then last was that frightfull term reproduction parts. I have found some more NOS since Talladega and removed some of the reproduction. I also just updated my want list! I am still looking for 1 NOS muffler, 2 NOS sill plates, an NOS 727 trans dust shield, an NOS or good used alternator belt and a NOS trunkmat. :shruggy:

Mopar John

FIREWALL!
The firewall was really in verygood shape! There were no dents or rust holes! There was one non factory hole drilled down low on the drivers side for an aftermarket alarm system. This was the only additon to the Daytona! Troy welded the hole up! In the pictures you will see some surface rust down low where there wasn't much factory paint coverage. The REDI-STRIP bath removed the rust and a light coat of filler removed the surface pits!

Mopar John

Here is one more picture of the firewall hole being welded up and a shady picture of the engine compartment in epoxy primer!

Mopar John

WELDABLE PRIMER? HIDDEN RUST?
 Today I move on to the shock towers and the suspension stops outside the inner fenders. Most of these pictures are from the passengers side which show better details but both sides had the same treatment! The first pictures show the inner fenders and then the tabs at the bottom of the shock towers. Troy has found these spots on previous cars and knows that these areas need attention. They are opened up or drilled and cleaned then rewelded! Before welding Troy uses a weldable primer! Through much development he has come up with a system that prevents rust in these places! The end result is a better structure and no loss in paintability! The front wheel openings on these cars got a lot of water in between those seams and body panels!

Mopar John

Here are a couple of pictures of the shock tower tabs welded with the weldable primer! By the way those are the original date coded ORIFLOW front shocks!

Mopar John

The last pictures for today show the back side of the suspension bracket with the hidden rust. Then another of everything cleaned up and welded back together! I would have never known to do all that if I would have done the car myself. Besides it takes special primer and welding equipment to do it right!