News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS B5 DAYTONA RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, December 07, 2009, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

I will try to add the pictures now?

Mopar John

Mopar John

The last one is the blizzard!

Dave Kanofsky

WOW!  For not being that old at the time, that was one rough trunk pan!

Thanks for the stories John, keep up the good work!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

tan top

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on December 22, 2009, 12:30:51 PM
WOW!  For not being that old at the time, that was one rough trunk pan!

:iagree:  

nother good read & awesome back in the day pictures  :drool5:
thanks for sharing John  :2thumbs: :cheers:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

I love that picture with the three 70's together
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on December 22, 2009, 12:30:51 PM
WOW!  For not being that old at the time, that was one rough trunk pan!

Having grown up in South Florida, the rain and humidity, along with that ill-conceived rubber lined trunk mat, killed those floor pans..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Finn

:popcrn:
This is quickly becoming my favorite thread. Thanks for taking the time to post!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Mopar John

Thanks guys for all the great replies! It makes me think that I'm doing the right thing in sharing what got me to the point of restoring the B5 Daytona. Troy not many people knew how brutal and how fast the Florida coast was on the cars.
Mopar John

Mopar John

SUPERBIRDS OF AMERICA?
About the time that I bought the first Superbird I found out about a Superbird club. The club was based out of West Allis Wisconsin and had very low mebership cost so I joined. I had no idea of what they were about but if it had to do with Superbirds I'm in! I sent off the application and my funds. A short time later I got my welcome letter from a guy named Monroe Schellinger. I also got a buisness card sized membership card signed by a guy named Doug Schellinger. My membership number is # 0181 and has been continuous from back in 1977! I also recieved the clubs newsletter! In the newsletter I found out that they were having their national meet in Ann Arbor Michigan at the Chrysler Proving Grounds that weekend!@#$%^&! I didn't have time to react and make the meet! It was painfull especially seeing some of the Superbirds coming and going through Michigan City that weekend. I now knew that I had joined the right club! This would enhance my Superbird ownership. I have attached a picture of my original membership card that I am very proud of. In fact it is also copied on my B5 Daytonas display board.

Mopar John

MORE SUPERBIRD SHOPPING!!
With my orange six pack car needing work and a 1978 national meet to get ready for I decided it might be better to buy another Superbird in better condition. That way I could take my time and fix the orange bird correctly? So it was back to the newspapers and trader magazines looking for yet another Superbird! There was no ryme or reason to it. Each car had a story and most were modified in some way. Prices were all over the board and stories about the cars would make you laugh. I think Richard Petty had driven them all! The most common story was that they only made 500! I was also keeping my eyes peeled for any that I would see parked or even being driven! I have attached some pictures out of the trader magazines and the Chicago Tribune Classic and antique car sections. Some of these have the dates written on them! Yes, I still have them also! Enjoy!

Mopar John

Here is one more ad! My next chapter will be about Superbird #2!!

nascarxx29

Quote from: Mopar John on December 23, 2009, 12:09:30 PM
                                                       SUPERBIRDS OF AMERICA?
About the time that I bought the first Superbird I found out about a Superbird club. The club was based out of West Allis Wisconsin and had very low mebership cost so I joined. I had no idea of what they were about but if it had to do with Superbirds I'm in! I sent off the application and my funds. A short time later I got my welcome letter from a guy named Monroe Schellinger. I also got a buisness card sized membership card signed by a guy named Doug Schellinger. My membership number is # 0181 and has been continuous from back in 1977! I also recieved the clubs newsletter! In the newsletter I found out that they were having their national meet in Ann Arbor Michigan at the Chrysler Proving Grounds that weekend!@#$%^&! I didn't have time to react and make the meet! It was painfull especially seeing some of the Superbirds coming and going through Michigan City that weekend. I now knew that I had joined the right club! This would enhance my Superbird ownership. I have attached a picture of my original membership card that I am very proud of. In fact it is also copied on my B5 Daytonas display board.

Good stuff I like the retro archive material ads pictures paperwork :2thumbs:   

.My longtime family friend Joe donated me his wingcar memorabilia when he retired and sold his car that he got in 73

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

nascarxx29,
Were those ads from your friend Joe Shopping for a Superbird or was he just collecting the Aero car ads?
He was one of the founding members of the club 1975/#17!!
Thanks!

nascarxx29

Mopar John

That is great work! I have seen some of your posts on this. For your info most of the ads that I have posted came out of the Chicago Tribune late 1977 and early 1978. I don't think any included a picture or a vin just phone numbers to help track a car back.
Thanks for the info!

Mopar John

moparstuart,
Here is a little Christmas present for you. A couple more shots of the 1970 cars!

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD #2
It's early 1978 and I'm in full blown search mode! I am watching all the papers and trader magazines. I am also in a managers training program at work. This required me to work at differant stores in the northwest Indiana area along with the Chicago Illinois area. One day I spotted a white Superbird being driven by a young man in East Chicago Indiana. He was on his school lunch hour and was making the best of it. I followed him the best I could till he finally parked it. He had a young sweetheart with him and they were having a great time. I wasted no time and asked if he would sell his car? He told me NO!! He said that his brother bought it new and they wanted to keep it in the family. I put my name and phone number on the back of a buisness card and told him to throw it in the glovebox and if he ever changed his mind to call me. At the end of our conversation he told me that he did know where one was for sale!!! I got all the information from him to track this car down. It was a 440 4 speed yellow Superbird for $1000.00. The car was in the middle of Gary Indiana and not far away! I got someone to go with me and the car was right where he said it was!! I talked to the owner and he gave me the same story $1000.00!! I asked what was wrong with the car and he informed me that the starter was out and the rear brakes needed new brake lines. I told him that I would like to buy his car. He told me that he had to go to the credit union and get the title. I told him to call me when he got the title. I waited a few days and got the bad news. He owed $300.00 on the car and couldn't get the title till he paid it off. I wasn't going to let $300.00 stop this deal!! So I asked him if I gave him the $300.00 and supplied a contract that was notorized if he would let me take the car? He said yes!! So I gave him the $300.00 and a notorized contract that stated that I would pay the remaining $700.00 when he furnished me a clear title. I took my 1969 Dart and a tow strap and got it to HWY 12 not far away and pulled home without and problems. I didn't do much to the car except clean it up and put a new starter in. I was waiting for the title first. The new starter did the trick and it was running. If this guy didn't come up with a title I was planning on $300.00 worth of parts off the car. About two weeks later I got the call that he had the title and I drove over and paid the balance and picked up the title!! I now owned two 1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRDS!! Most important I had one that needed little work to get to the 1978 national meet!! The day I finalized the deal on Superbird #2 the young man that told me about it called. He informed me that he got his young sweetheart pregnant and needed to sell his Superbird!@#$%^&! I informed him that I had just bought the yellow Superbird and didn't have any more car money available. Besides he was asking $2400.00 for his car. That was too much based on what I was buying them for. I told him to keep my number and later if the price came down and I had time to save some money to call me. We'll about 6 months later he called me and said my girlfriend is ready to have the baby, the transmission doesn't shift and I sold the wing and fender scoops to a guy in Chicago!! I asked how much for what was left and he said $450.00 would buy it!@#$%^&*! I said get your things out of it and get the title ready, I will be there with the money that afternoon!! So now I have three 1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRDS!!
One six pack car and two 440 4 speed cars. I decided to use the white car as a parts car for the other two. I also came across another Superbird down towards Indianapolis in a body shop for $500.00 but didn't buy it. My granmother was getting worried about the town board and all my cars. Also about this time we had saved enough money to buy our first home! A guy at work told me to put $100.00 in the bank every week first and before I would know it I would have enough to buy a house. So in just 5 years we were buying our first home with 40% down. The new home had an attached 2 car garage on two acres with a shop in back that could hold three more cars. Just what I needed. The yellow Superbird needed brake lines, a new clutch and a fresh paint job to make it presentable for the 1978 national meet. I will post the first picture of the yellow car and one of the yellow car and the orange one with the white trunklid already on it. There is also a picture of the $500.00 body shop bird.
Enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!! Mopar John  Next chapter my first national meet!!

Mopar John

Here are the pictures!

nascarxx29

A rooftop top picture .I always wanted to see how they look from above.I always wanted to get a higher picture from a water tower or higher rooftop to capture there shapes

Mopar John

The first picture of the yellow car is blurry but it shows me switching the wheels and tires from the lime green 1970 Road Runner to the yellow Superbird. I got these wheels and tires for a steal from BIG JACKS JUNKYARD. On one of my junkyard tours I spotted a 1970 Dodge Challenger that had just been towed in to BIG JACKS. He told me that he could have sold the wheels and tires 10 times but no one could get them off the car. The problem was the car had a set of those puzzle locks and no one had a key. He told me that if I could get them off I could have the whole set of wheels and tires for $100.00!! I went to the car and seen where some one was trying to use vice grips or pliers to get the puzzle locks off. My Polish Purdue Engineering mind went to work and I formulated a plan. I told Big Jack that I wanted the wheels and tires and would be back tommorrow to get them. He laughed at me and said OK! I took some sockets and figured what size I would need for the next day. So I return with a lug wrench, a hammer and some sockets. I tightened all the other lug nuts and then tapped on the puzzle nut with the hammer. Then I took a 12 point socket that was a little smaller than the puzzle nut and drove it onto it. I then put a breaker bar and the socket and removed the puzzle nut!! It worked great and in no time I had my $100.00 set of aluminum slots with good tires!!! I have another sad BIG JACKS story coming up!!

nascarxx29

Im enjoying reading and your retro pictures good stuff keepem coming.I did go to a friends job and used the outside ladder to get these

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on December 24, 2009, 11:15:10 AM
moparstuart,
Here is a little Christmas present for you. A couple more shots of the 1970 cars!
:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: thank you very much john    , happy holidays to you too and lets all hope for a better new year
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM MOPAR JOHN AND LINDA BORZYCH!!

Mopar John

1978 SUPERBIRDS OF AMERICA NATIONAL MEET!
I got the yellow Superbird repainted and installed new brake lines. It was ready for the trip to Wisconsin! We were using this car as our second car now and having a great time with it! The national meet was also our family vacation and we took Michelle and Mike along. The meet headquarters was the TRYOLEAN TOWN HOUSE near Milwaukee and the Schellingers. Monroe and Jean Schellinger along with their son Doug were our hosts. We arrived on Wednesday and saw the most Superbirds in one spot as I had ever seen. I would say that there were about 20! Thursday we went to tour the Miller brewing company in Milwaukee. On Friday we went to the Mitchell domes where there was a large display indoors of many differant plants. Then on Saturday we went to the Milwaukee Mile for a parade lap and USAC short track race. Sunday was a get together and travel home day. One evening we also had a club meeting and raffle. The Edwards always bought a bunch of tickets and won most of the prizes back then! I can remember Rick and Sherry Edwards, Ray and Rusty Bott, Dick and Bev Drake, Kyle and Cindy Drake, Tom and Sue from Florida, Rick and Carol Croxford along with their son Doug, Elmer Duellman from Fountain City Wisconsin, Les and Barb Bowman, Bump and Betty Fleck and more! You will here more about Rick Croxford and Elmer Duellman. I have attached pictures of Michelle standing by the Schellinger bird ready to lead us on a outing, another of Jean Schellinger holding Mike, A picture of the yellow bird in front of the domes and a picture of Monroe and others at the track.