News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshieldinstallation

Started by Belgium R/T -68, December 16, 2009, 05:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

I had a guy over from a glassinstallationcompany, very nice guy who really seemed to be knowing his business. Now, he had ofcourse never seen
a charger -68 without the windshield in so he wanted to check up a couple of things before he comes back and does the job.
His first question was how the bottom part of the gasket should be seated since the dash is mounted you can't flip it over the "frame" like
on the roof and a-pillars so is it glued there to stay in place and not letting any water pass by?
Secondly, is the gasket mounted in the correct direction like it is on the pics?
Thirdly, is the vinyltop checkmolding deciding the location/hight of the backglass or how do you match the backglassmolding with the v-t molding?

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Charger-Bodie

Per,

The W/S gasket just sits on the 3 tabs accross the bottom of the opening. After the glass is in place you need to seal around the gasket and the around the glass itself. after the sealant is everywhere it needs to be ,lock the gaskets "lock strip"....Clean up any excess sealant and snap on the moldings.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68r/t

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on December 16, 2009, 09:33:44 AM
Per,

The W/S gasket just sits on the 3 tabs accross the bottom of the opening. After the glass is in place you need to seal around the gasket and the around the glass itself. after the sealant is everywhere it needs to be ,lock the gaskets "lock strip"....Clean up any excess sealant and snap on the moldings.

That is how I did mine,  I used window cleaner as a lubricant to help the rubber slide over the glass.
I fitted the gasket to frame first then slide the lower part of the glass in to the gasket and slowly worked my up the sides and finally the top.
I don't understand question 3 , there is 2 spacers about 1/4"- 5/16" that space the rear glass up from the channel.   

b5blue

FSM said to run a bead inside the gasket where the glass inserts and inside the area for the metal also, plus along bottom by dash then install glass with gasket in place on car. You want sealant in the glass slot or it will leak (Mine has since I put none in there!) Depending on supplier for windshield and manufacturer of gasket I've heard some glass is thinner than factory thickness. After putting in mine with inexperienced helper, I would mask what you needed to but use allot of sealant everywhere as adding any later, after finding a leak is a total pain in the butt. I have a "Safelite" windshield and gasket from "Metro" and used 3M #08509 Bedding & Glazing Compound. Had I bedded the glass...it would have been messy but I would not have fought leaks. Lucky for me my car is no way close to as nice as you have so scratching up old paint and primer to remove trim and slopping stuff up is not a big deal for me. You will need an "old school" guy if you hire someone. The back glass I have yet to learn.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: b5blue on December 16, 2009, 10:45:37 AM
FSM said to run a bead inside the gasket where the glass inserts and inside the area for the metal also, plus along bottom by dash then install glass with gasket in place on car. You want sealant in the glass slot or it will leak (Mine has since I put none in there!) Depending on supplier for windshield and manufacturer of gasket I've heard some glass is thinner than factory thickness. After putting in mine with inexperienced helper, I would mask what you needed to but use allot of sealant everywhere as adding any later, after finding a leak is a total pain in the butt. I have a "Safelite" windshield and gasket from "Metro" and used 3M #08509 Bedding & Glazing Compound. Had I bedded the glass...it would have been messy but I would not have fought leaks. Lucky for me my car is no way close to as nice as you have so scratching up old paint and primer to remove trim and slopping stuff up is not a big deal for me. You will need an "old school" guy if you hire someone. The back glass I have yet to learn.

Thats pretty much what I meant. Just a little differant order,cause its VERY messy if you smootch it up before hand.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on December 16, 2009, 09:33:44 AM
Per,

Brian,
What do you mean with "lock the gaskets lock strip"?

Per

Charger-Bodie

The split in the gasket (not the groove for the glass) on the outside face of the gasket needs to be "zipped" or locked so to speak with a glas stick or similar.

b5blue

Yup the whole thing locks together when the edges are folded in to interlock.

68r/t

I found this thread helpfull when I did mine, a picture is worth a thousand words

url]    http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43619.0.html             [/url]

Belgium R/T -68

Any special tool to be used to "lock the strip"? Hopefully something I already have in the garage. ;)

Per

Hemidog

I used my hands and a flat screwdriver.

tan top

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on December 17, 2009, 04:06:27 AM
Any special tool to be used to "lock the strip"? Hopefully something I already have in the garage. ;)

Per

nope just used a bondo spreader   :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

Like tan top said ,a bondo spreader will do. I like to use a glass stick,they are very handy for lots of carful prying and pushing work,not just glass. Here is a link to some, these are the softer more flexable kind. I actually like the more rigid white ones ,but these are better than nothing and they will give you the idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Windshield-Stick-Glass-Tools-GR-300_W0QQitemZ120506569067QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0ec0516b

b5blue

I sharpened one edge of a paint stir stick.

Belgium R/T -68

Got the message :2thumbs: Thanks guys. :cheers:

Per

charger2fast4u

Quote from: 68r/t on December 16, 2009, 07:09:12 PM
I found this thread helpfull when I did mine, a picture is worth a thousand words

url]    http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43619.0.html             [/url]

yea that is a real good reference link. just a tip to anyone who is getting the windshild installed. be sure to put sealer in the glass channel of the gasket or it will leak. i had mine installed and the installer didn't use anything but the gasket. i was  :flame: after i just paid him all that money to find that it leaks like a sive. so i spent money on nothing windshield had to come back out. also like said before most gaskets are made to fit the thicker older windshields not the thinner new one's that's the reason mine leaked with no sealer.