News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Tic-Toc Tach Question

Started by MM1R/T, December 02, 2005, 11:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MM1R/T

I've got 2 Rally gauge clusters sitting on my bench and I'm trying to figure out which is correct for my '68 Charger R/T.

One has an 8000 RPM tach set behind the clock face. The other has a 6000 RPM tach with an inverted triangle at the 12 O'clock position and the clock is recessed behind the tach.

My Charger is an October '67 build if that makes any difference.

hemi68charger

I have personally never seen two versions of the tic-tac.... All, and I've seen alot, have the tac behind the clock....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

dpm68

Charger Aficionado

I have an near NOS set of '68 guages, I'm heading out the door to pick this up:  4593784595  But will be back and post it for you later... 
  I do have another Tach that needs resto if someone needs it.

dpm68

What does "restore" entail? I'd be interested... - thanks, dpm

MM1R/T

Troy:

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go with the 8000 RPM tach.

When you wrote that you hadn't seen the other type, did you mean in a Charger or that you believe there to be only one type of tach?

Any ideas of what the other one might be from?

8WHEELER

Here are a few pics of a stock 8k tach out of 68-70 mopar rally dashes.
I have never seen a stock 6k tach in a rally dash. Does the tach look just like this but with a 6k face?

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

MM1R/T

No, it's quite different. First, the clock is in the center, but is deeper than the tach. In the 12 O'Clock position on the tach is an inverted triangle representing 0/6000 RPM. There is no red line.

The metal housing at the back of the unit is not nearly as deep as the one on the 8000 RPM tach, but it bolts right up in place of the 8000 RPM unit. I swapped them today.

I'm sure that I've seen pics of this tach before, I just can't remember where.

I'm sure that if I could post a pic, someone on this board could identify it.

Problem is, My digital camera is presently in a box wrapped with brightly colored paper under a tree in my living room. I wouldn't be too popular if I opened it right now.  :icon_smile_wink:

janimm

I think your 6000rpm tach is actually a clock seconds pointer... 0-60 seconds... Another version is tic-toc-tac, another is clock only.

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:
You are referring to the clock only.....no tach

Chris' '69 Charger R/T