News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any interest in Carbon Fiber hoods?

Started by Dukes69, December 22, 2009, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dukes69

Is there any interest in Carbon fiber hoods and decklids for 68-69 Chargers?  They would be high quality, made in the US, full CF no fiberglass.  Presently I don't think a scoop will be offered, just a stock style replacement.

Thanks
-Chris

moparguy01

I honestly don't think there would be a huge market. I few pro streeters and people who just want the Wow factor. But i think the cost would make it prohibitive.

motorcitydak

That would have to depend on the price, and I would for sure want a 6 pack scoop like my 'glass one has. The bad thing here is that my race weight hood is only 10 pounds, there is not much room for improvement there
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

AKcharger

68X426

Real carbon fiber -or- Chinese fiber?  :shruggy:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

kcederwall08

Ultimately it would depend on the price. If it were priced to compete with the price of fiberglass ones, then absolutely. But i know how hard carbon is to work with and to get, so i'm guessing it wouldn't be.

Dukes69

Quote from: 68X426 on December 23, 2009, 01:56:26 AM
Real carbon fiber -or- Chinese fiber?  :shruggy:

Real carbon fiber, manufactured here in the USA.  Both the top and bottom would be carbon fiber, not just the top.

Dukes69

Quote from: kcederwall08 on December 23, 2009, 02:02:33 AM
Ultimately it would depend on the price. If it were priced to compete with the price of fiberglass ones, then absolutely. But i know how hard carbon is to work with and to get, so i'm guessing it wouldn't be.

I just googled "69 Charger fiberglass hood" and it came back with one costing under $250.  I know they won't be that cheap.  My guess is that it would be comparable or a little more than a new steel hood ($700).

Troy

Most fiberglass doesn't seem to fit very well. On the other hand, most guys wanting fiberglass and carbon fiber have race cars so fit and finish aren't really a priority. I'd want one that had the correct dimensions and fit right but I don't need one so I may not be in the target market. Basically, it would be cheaper/easier to make it for racers but I'd only be interested if it were exact for a "sleeper" image (yes, I'd paint it). I'd pay more for one like this but I'm probably the exception.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

charger2fast4u

like said above it depends on how much the final cost would be. and how the quality and fit is on them. also i'd take one with a scoop not a stock replacement. i would think that there will be some interest in them for racers and people that just drive on the street if the weight is compairable to a fiberglass one. alot of people would probably paint the hood for a sleeper stock look since cf aint exactly a muscle car craze like it is in the import world.

speedfreak68

I'd like to have one... but I don't think I could afford it...

mopar_nut_440_6

I have a very high quality Charger hood with a 6 pack scoop I was going to paint to look like carbon fiber. I will paint the factory hood body color and when I want to change the look up I will swap hoods.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

motorcitydak

You said top and bottom, so is this going to bolt to the hinges hood? Or just a lift off? You would have a bigger market if you can do both. Im assuming that the hood found for $250 is a lift off. There are bolt on's for around $600 iirc. If you are going to do these, I think your best bet is to make 4 different models, 1 stock bolt on replacement, 1 stock w/ 6 pack scoop, 1 race weight lift off w/o a bottom or scoop, just held on by 4 hood pins and finally 1 race weight lift off w/ the scoop. How well these things move will depend on your quality, customer service, weight savings and obviously price. BTW, the bolt on guys are going to want to keep their hood mounted turn signals

Also, you may want to try out a new option and make a shaker hood setup, just a thought
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Dukes69

Quote from: motorcitydak on December 24, 2009, 01:54:53 AM
You said top and bottom, so is this going to bolt to the hinges hood? Or just a lift off? You would have a bigger market if you can do both. Im assuming that the hood found for $250 is a lift off. There are bolt on's for around $600 iirc. If you are going to do these, I think your best bet is to make 4 different models, 1 stock bolt on replacement, 1 stock w/ 6 pack scoop, 1 race weight lift off w/o a bottom or scoop, just held on by 4 hood pins and finally 1 race weight lift off w/ the scoop. How well these things move will depend on your quality, customer service, weight savings and obviously price. BTW, the bolt on guys are going to want to keep their hood mounted turn signals

Also, you may want to try out a new option and make a shaker hood setup, just a thought

The plan is to have them be bolt on.  The whole reason for this is I want one for my 69, with hood mounted turn signals  :icon_smile_big:.  If others want one as well, then I can make that happen.  It's possible the hood I found for $250 was a lift off.

I completely agree with having a scoop, I just don't know how many part numbers I want to have.  If everything takes off, I have no problem adding options to the product line, as long as they sell. 

I have been thinking of a shaker set up for our Chargers for a while.  I'm pretty sure it would look nice and work well with the stock "peaked" hood.

Troy

I personally think shakers are way overdone and look completely out of place on a 68-70 Charger. I wouldn't waste the time trying to make it work. Six pack scoops actually look pretty good though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ryan

I think I carbon fiber hood could look cool on the right build up. It would look awesome if you painted over the carbon fiber but masked off the recessed areas giving you a carbon fiber V21 hood treatment :yesnod:
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

motorcitydak

What would be the weights of these hoods and deck lids?

As for the deck lids, you could also mess with the spoiler and then include side pieces to match it. Ive seen a few cars with a taller spoiler that looked pretty good. 
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Dukes69

Quote from: motorcitydak on December 27, 2009, 10:40:05 PM
What would be the weights of these hoods and deck lids?

As for the deck lids, you could also mess with the spoiler and then include side pieces to match it. Ive seen a few cars with a taller spoiler that looked pretty good. 

Not sure what the weight will be, I'm in the real early stages of this project.  My goal at the present moment is to gauge interest, which there seems to be a few people that might be interested.

Neat idea on the decklids, I'll keep it in mind.  Thanks

Dukes69

Quote from: Ryan on December 26, 2009, 04:02:16 PM
I think I carbon fiber hood could look cool on the right build up. It would look awesome if you painted over the carbon fiber but masked off the recessed areas giving you a carbon fiber V21 hood treatment :yesnod:

Now you're talking!  That would look cool.

suntech

I have been planning the same thing for a while. Both hood and deck lid. I am actually taking off the parts one of the first days, and start on the model work. I will build them with innerliner, like the stock ones too, and it has to be with lock and hinges ofcause!

Have´nt calculated the weight, but as a rough guesstimate i would think it could end up app 60% of a stock part.

There is only one way to do this right, and that is to build them in 2 pieces, and glue them together, while outerskin still is in the mold.
Materials should be twill pattern Carbon, and vinylester or epoxy. Then vacum bag it.

IMO this will be to expansive to sell a lot of them :Twocents:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

SRT-440

I'd buy one if you made some for a '70 Road Runner.  :cheers:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69charger440

I would like a bolt on one with six pack scoop!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

NorwayCharger

Quote from: suntech on December 29, 2009, 09:42:19 AM
I have been planning the same thing for a while. Both hood and deck lid. I am actually taking off the parts one of the first days, and start on the model work. I will build them with innerliner, like the stock ones too, and it has to be with lock and hinges ofcause!

Have´nt calculated the weight, but as a rough guesstimate i would think it could end up app 60% of a stock part.

There is only one way to do this right, and that is to build them in 2 pieces, and glue them together, while outerskin still is in the mold.
Materials should be twill pattern Carbon, and vinylester or epoxy. Then vacum bag it.

IMO this will be to expansive to sell a lot of them :Twocents:

I would buy them  :cheers:
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Dukes69

So to all the folks who said it all depends on price:  Realistically, how much would you be willing to spend on a high quality, proper fitting hood and/or decklid?  Also add which style, stock or 6-pack (since that seems like the more common request).

Thank you
-Chris