News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any interest in Carbon Fiber hoods?

Started by Dukes69, December 22, 2009, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69charger440

Quote from: Dukes69 on January 04, 2010, 07:47:57 PM
So to all the folks who said it all depends on price:  Realistically, how much would you be willing to spend on a high quality, proper fitting hood and/or decklid?  Also add which style, stock or 6-pack (since that seems like the more common request).

Thank you
-Chris

Well I am cheap and always looking for great deals, so hmmm!!! $375 for a bolt on stock/6-pack!! Plus new mounting bolts :D
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Dukes69

Quote from: 69charger440 on January 04, 2010, 08:24:28 PM
Quote from: Dukes69 on January 04, 2010, 07:47:57 PM
So to all the folks who said it all depends on price:  Realistically, how much would you be willing to spend on a high quality, proper fitting hood and/or decklid?  Also add which style, stock or 6-pack (since that seems like the more common request).

Thank you
-Chris

Well I am cheap and always looking for great deals, so hmmm!!! $375 for a bolt on stock/6-pack!! Plus new mounting bolts :D

I guess you missed the realistically part?   :nana: :icon_smile_big:

motorcitydak

If you could get the price for a bolt on at $750-$900, I think they would sell. Obviously some guys would want the scoop which I would hope would not change the price much (You can just mold a scoop, cut out the hood and glue it on). I would be in for a lift off w/ scoop for $4-500. $3-400 on the trunk. Like I said earlier, if you alter the spoiler, you may have a better market for the deck lid

Make a chin spoiler too, I want one...and fenders, make some of those too. Mite as well do doors while you are at it
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

suntech

QuoteI guess you missed the realistically part? 

Exactly!! hehe....375 would´nt even cover materials!!! 

To sell a lot i guess the price is somewhat important, but i think making a really nice quality piece would be the thing to do, and let the quality sell, instead of price! As long as the quality is good and price is fair (and i dont mean cheap.....just fair), i think it would sell.  :Twocents:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

69rtse4spd

Suntech is right, quality will sell itself. How about 70 hoods too.

Dukes69

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on January 08, 2010, 10:14:09 PM
Suntech is right, quality will sell itself. How about 70 hoods too.

Agreed.  The 70 hood is a tough egg.  One year only, etc.  At least with the 68-69 I get 2 years out of it.  :D

suntech

True, but it could be done just with a new outer skin mold, and an insert in the inner liner mold :shruggy:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Troy

Quote from: suntech on January 09, 2010, 05:04:31 AM
True, but it could be done just with a new outer skin mold, and an insert in the inner liner mold :shruggy:

The 70 hood is shorter due to the wraparound bumper.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

suntech

QuoteThe 70 hood is shorter due to the wraparound bumper.

I know, and because of the "arrow" on the nose of the 68/69, an insert in the mold, to make a shorter hood, would not work, but i would think it would work with an insert in the inner liner mold, to shorten that down. :shruggy:

Dukes69

OK guys, here's what I've got.  I would need a minimum of 10 people interested to pay a 50% deposit to get these going.  The price is $1400 shipped in the lower 48.  Just so we're clear, they will be stock replacement, bolt on, full carbon fiber (inner and outer skin) hoods for 68 and 69 Chargers.  I have setup a paypal address for this purchase.  Here is my info if anyone needs to talk to me:

Chris Field
951-551-6181
Chris@protouringmopar.com

Thanks!

Dukes69

I need to add that if we can get more people the cost will go down.   :scratchchin:

Thanks

suntech

I think it sounds very reasonable......almost a little bit to reasonable.... How are these going go be made?? Is this a company with experiance in carbon work?? What about trunk lid?
My plan for the hood would be with a slight modification, but a direct replacement trunk lid.....that i would order right of the back!

lisiecki1

If I could get a six pack style for my 73 for $500 I'd be all over it since I was going to spend 400 for a fiberglass one anyway....I know this is for the 2nd gens, I'm just sayin.....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

motorcitydak

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 12, 2010, 04:10:36 PM
If I could get a six pack style for my 73 for $500 I'd be all over it since I was going to spend 400 for a fiberglass one anyway....I know this is for the 2nd gens, I'm just sayin.....

You have to be realistic here, $500 is not going to buy a brand new custom carbon fiber hood. The materials alone are going to run that much if not more

I think that it is a good deal and I really hope that these things sell well, but like I said before, Id want a race weight lift off w/ 6 pack scoop. I have a used fiberglass one that I will probably use on the car, but I know that is what I want
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Dukes69

Quote from: suntech on January 12, 2010, 03:52:45 PM
I think it sounds very reasonable......almost a little bit to reasonable.... How are these going go be made?? Is this a company with experiance in carbon work?? What about trunk lid?
My plan for the hood would be with a slight modification, but a direct replacement trunk lid.....that i would order right of the back!

The hoods will be made by a company here in CA that builds everything in house.  They do automotive as well as aerospace.  

The trunk lid is still in the works. I figured if I couldn't get the hoods to sell then the decklids probably wont move much either.

Dukes69

3rd gen stuff isn't out of the question.  I just have to start somewhere and since a 69 is what I have and what I know, it's an easy place to start.  $500, however, might be difficult to obtain.  Maybe for a non-bolt on, race only style, but not a full replacement hood.   :pity: :icon_smile_big:

Dukes69

Quote from: motorcitydak on January 12, 2010, 06:26:35 PM

You have to be realistic here, $500 is not going to buy a brand new custom carbon fiber hood. The materials alone are going to run that much if not more

I think that it is a good deal and I really hope that these things sell well, but like I said before, Id want a race weight lift off w/ 6 pack scoop. I have a used fiberglass one that I will probably use on the car, but I know that is what I want

A race weight, lift off hood with a bolt on 6 pack style scoop is definitely something that can be done.  Just not sure how to go about it.  I could make it 2 piece and have the customer cut a hole in their new hood, but that kinda sucks.  Unfortunately a hood with the scoop molded in will require a new mold and all the cost associated with that.  Ideas?

Thanks
-Chris

motorcitydak

Quote from: motorcitydak on January 05, 2010, 01:38:40 AM
Obviously some guys would want the scoop which I would hope would not change the price much (You can just mold a scoop, cut out the hood and glue it on). I would be in for a lift off w/ scoop for $4-500. $3-400 on the trunk. Like I said earlier, if you alter the spoiler, you may have a better market for the deck lid

Make a chin spoiler too, I want one...and fenders, make some of those too. Mite as well do doors while you are at it

I think you should be able to mold the scoop by itself and then just cut out the hood and glue into place. Maybe put a small flange on the bottom side of the scoop and insert it from the bottom of the hood skin. Like I said earlier, I have the hood in fiberglass, do you want me to take some pics of it for you? It may be a little flimsey with just the top in CF by itself, maybe a few ribs glued to the bottom would help
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

J-440

Duke...I definitly would by a fiberglass/shaker hood for a 68 Charger.  That was my original plan seeing that I don't care for the stock hood.  Or, just take a stock fiber hood, fill in the hood indentations, shave the peak off the center, and cut a big old hole in the middle for the Shaker.  Just my :Twocents:
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

jww426

Im in for a c-fiber hood and trunk lid for a 70.
JWW
JWWIV

HPP

Quote from: Dukes69 on January 11, 2010, 08:43:06 PM
OK guys, here's what I've got.  I would need a minimum of 10 people interested to pay a 50% deposit to get these going.  The price is $1400 shipped in the lower 48.  Just so we're clear, they will be stock replacement, bolt on, full carbon fiber (inner and outer skin) hoods for 68 and 69 Chargers.  I have setup a paypal address for this purchase.  Here is my info if anyone needs to talk to me:

Chris Field
951-551-6181
Chris@protouringmopar.com

Thanks!

Obviously asking the guys here is a great first step. Aside from putting this up on a dozen different web forums. you may need to reach out and actually solicite some of the high end shops to see if they would be interested in a unit. Never know who might have a 2nd gen Charger project kicking off somewhere in the country that doesn't participate in any mopar based web boards.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cncguy

I Think your best bet would be to prototype a few, and get them into car shows on actual Chargers, so people can see how they fit, and look.

Mike DC

I can't understand why the musclecar hobby has never been very interested in aluminum panels.  It seems like a much better weight loss option than either fiberglass or carbon.  

JB400

The interest is there, the funding, not so much.  Carbon fiber process doesn't cost much more than fiberglass until you start using the autoclave.   Aluminum, on the other hand, takes different dies and a different welding process than steel.