News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AMD skins ??

Started by 69chargerR/T, December 26, 2009, 11:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

200MPH

Quote from: 200MPH on January 03, 2010, 03:10:43 PM
what if person does not need the whole skin?

LOl I meant i just need small  patches
Charger

superbirdtom

theirs places that make patch panels. or just order the skin and use what you need

Mike DC

If I needed multiple patches then I would order a larger skin and cut it up.  Either than or make them from scratch.  The smaller patches being commercially sold usually aren't very good and the price of buying & shipping them will add up to as much as buying a good larger skin.

elitecustombody

Quote from: 200MPH on January 03, 2010, 04:38:47 PM
Quote from: 200MPH on January 03, 2010, 03:10:43 PM
what if person does not need the whole skin?

LOl I meant i just need small  patches

AMD makes lower patches,fit nice ,or as it was mentioned, buy skins and cut them for smaller patches

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Troy

The AMD lower patches are made on the same tooling as the full quarters and are very nice.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

200MPH

Charger

Mike DC

Cool, didn't know AMD made patches yet.

Troy

Captain D

I'm responding late; been out for a awhile - But yeah, the full quarters are nice and a lot of body shops that I've talked to in my area keep pressing that they would rather do a full quarter than the skins. However, like any hobby today, you do what you can afford...Restoring an ol' Mopar B-body isn't always cheap...

When I was doing my quarters, I shopped round' and the full quarters were like roughly $2,000 (not including the labor that then has to be put into the work ahead) vs. the skins (GoodMark at the time) were only $399 + freight shipping roughly another $100 so at approximately $1,500 difference. I didn't have the $$ to go w/ the full quarters so I pretty much had no choice but to go w/ the skins. The body shop did a remarkable job and they turned out great. I've even talked w/ Smith Bro. Restoration for guidance/suggestions and viewed some of their completed rides and when considering the savings based on what I could have afford at the time, I'm happy w/ the decision. So, again, the full quarters are certainly nice to have (and if I had the cash I would have liked to have gone w/ them), but I'm just saying that the skins aren't necessarily a bad route to go neither...

Sorry for chiming in kinda late  ;)
Aaron

fireguyfire

Hey guys; just getting started on a '68 project, and am debating the same thing; full quarters vs. skins. I have hung skins before, so I can do it no problem, but I am wondering if someone could give a brief description on how to replace the full quarter? Is it alot more work, and do you get into the structure at all? I gotta think its better to have no seam (therfore less bondo). Opinions?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'69 Sweptline Adventurer pickup
'56 Dodge Regent

SFRT

well. having just done it. i will vote for full quarters. the leading part was no big deal at all.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fireguyfire

Can you give me a brief description of how the process of removing old full quarters and fastening new ones?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

fireguyfire

For the guys that have installed full amd quarters; how good did they fit? How much monkeying (filling) did they need to get them straight after hanging them?
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

SFRT

fit great, very little fiddling required.guy at AMD said main issue is wheelwells fitting,if you have original wheelwells, keep them if possible.repair them. replacement wheelwells are the hassle.
Always Drive Responsibly

fireguyfire

Even the AMD outers are a problem? I think I'm going to have to replace the outers as well as the quarters.
'66 Coronet 500
'68 Charger
'56 Dodge Regent

superbirdtom

just use a piece of the outer wheelwells from amd or another supplier for a patch on the factory rusted part. its a torment to replace an entire outer wheelwell.

SFRT

yes. AMD says the main issue is always the wheelwells fitting if you remove the originals. Patch your originals carefully.
Always Drive Responsibly

Patronus

This is my first time installing AMD metal. Two quarters, valence, corners. ('69) The quarters will need some work to make real nice. The sail panel has some wripples and the 'here and theres....'  Its nice to have something available. Im glad I did the full panels, just didn't want to have a 6' weld. I have heard horror stories about the valence corners yet I was impressed! I've only done one side but the fit is right on.
- got into the passenger side, quarter will need +1/8 across top of door and the corner @ dutchmen/sail will need to be totally redone. 6' weld....hmmm :scratchchin:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

green69rt

Quote from: SFRT on February 13, 2010, 03:15:39 PM
yes. AMD says the main issue is always the wheelwells fitting if you remove the originals. Patch your originals carefully.

I just did my outer wheel wells.  One used AMD and one used a well from Sherman(long story).  I recommend the AMD. the Sherman was not even flat across the mounting flange to the inner well and required considerable modification to fit right.  As for difficulty,  I thought it was relatively easy if you don't insist on splitting the flange where it mounts to the inner well, inner quarter panel and the inner trunk supports.  I did some measurements to see if was even close on the fitup to the quarter panel and the AMD was right on and the Sherman well will need about a 1/4" tweak.  Maybe I was lucky.  I did patches on my inner wells and it was a lot of work and can be a big fitup problem, lots of compound curves.  Mine took a lot of time.

superbirdtom

If you want to replace the whole outer wheelwell as you did,  yeah getting it behind the overlapping metal is a pain.  Most of the time it is a rust issue not from damage.  all in all to get the right curves contour on the replaced outer wheelhouse for the quarter to fit well to it so it can be spot welded or whatever is a challenge for some. so anyone attempting it just know  they don't just fit and you will have some tweaking to do  just the way it is.

green69rt

Quote from: superbirdtom on February 15, 2010, 11:30:04 AM
If you want to replace the whole outer wheelwell as you did,  yeah getting it behind the overlapping metal is a pain.  Most of the time it is a rust issue not from damage.  all in all to get the right curves contour on the replaced outer wheelhouse for the quarter to fit well to it so it can be spot welded or whatever is a challenge for some. so anyone attempting it just know  they don't just fit and you will have some tweaking to do  just the way it is.

I agree, sometimes you just luck out and sometimes not.  Seems that all body work is that way.  Get the best parts you can, listen to the posts on this site (and others) then go for it. Tweaking seems to be part of life for those doing the metal work themselves.  When I started my project I actually thought that everything would just flange up and all I had to do was weld it in place and go (innocent me!!)

farmerjon

If all I need is the 6" or so behind the rear wheels and a few inchs high is there any place that makes a patch for a 74 charger?  help

TXcharger70

how much of the sail panel Does the full quarter panel include? Or does it just go on the outside of the sail?

Troy

Quote from: TXcharger70 on February 16, 2010, 12:03:07 AM
how much of the sail panel Does the full quarter panel include? Or does it just go on the outside of the sail?
It goes to the roof seam. Here's an original so you can see where it's at:

Troy