News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$250 Original tic toc tac, Or repro.?

Started by skip68, December 03, 2005, 11:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

I found a guy that has 10 or 12 tic toc tacs. He said I could have one for $250.00 and says some work and some might not,(don't know whats what) My question is should I buy a nice looking original that may or may not work, or a reproduction........THANKS......Chuck.............................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

694spdRT

I bought one of Charger Specialties reproductions. The font is slightly different than the original but, I could not find a decent original one that I had any faith in working. If I had one with the car I would have restored it instead but, with buying one and then fixing it I did not want to have $700 or $800 in a tach. If you get a used one I would not count on it working after 30+ years.   

Here is the repo installed.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

skip68

Looks nice 694spdRT, :2thumbs: That's what I'm affraid would be my luck. I guess part of me just want's an original one but not at 7 or 8 hundred bucks. I'll check out charger specialties.  Thanks, CHUCK.............
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Dodge Don

bull

There's got to be a way to test them. I don't know it but there's got to be something you can do. I always go with original stuff unless the repro part is pretty much a perfect match. It just bugs me when stuff doesn't look right.

skip68

Maybe they will let me test it? If they do and it works I'll take it because I too would rather have original. Even if the clock does not work, I'll take one because I think I can swap my clock with it.   Chuck.............................

blue69

You can swap your clock internals into it. Just about any american car clock built around that time frame used the same clock internals. I bought a nos clock of another brand for $20 last year and swapped the internals into my tic toc tach and now it works perfectly. If you get one that the tach works but is not accurate you can swap the board to a more accurate one http://www.rt-eng.com/. I haven't tried it yet since my tach is only a few hundred rpm off. This place also sells quartz clock conversion kits if you don't care about originality and mind it ticking. Someone sells reproduction movements for around $80 if you want it to look original.

beenaround

the real time engineering is the way to go if your face is in good shape.they were just reviewed in mcg.had nothing but good to say about them.i have a 1970 and a 1971 tach that only need a circuit board to work.so i do plan on trying them out.

Silver R/T

id say for 250 its decent deal even if it doesnt work
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

skip68

Yep, I think I'll get one from the guy anyway and just keep it on hand because it is the real deal.  I just don't want to cut corners to save a buck.  I've always said toys cost money, if you have to cut corners on the parts for your toy, then you can't afford it. :yesnod: I would cut corners on other things but not the toy :icon_smile_big:  Life is short , why settle? :shruggy:  Chuck........................

bull

Quote from: skip68 on December 31, 2005, 01:13:05 PM
Yep, I think I'll get one from the guy anyway and just keep it on hand because it is the real deal.   I just don't want to cut corners to save a buck.   I've always said toys cost money, if you have to cut corners on the parts for your toy, then you can't afford it. :yesnod: I would cut corners on other things but not the toy :icon_smile_big:   Life is short , why settle? :shruggy:   Chuck........................

Yup. It hurts so good. My theory on Charger parts is if I think it will bother me to install a certain part knowing it's wrong, or close but not quite right, forget it. If I have to choose between spending $50 on some phony-looking arm rests or $100 on one of those wet-noodle dash pads or three times those amount on the real deal I go with the real deal because I don't want to do this half-assed.

694spdRT

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you really want an original tach don't even think about the repo. I spent plenty on my Charger's resto and didn't really consider it cutting a corner to go with the repo. The extra $400 went a long way to other detail items I felt were more important...besides my car did not come with a tach originally so "technically" it is incorrect either way. I do agree that some repo items are not worth the packaging they are shipped in like those junk dashpads....the tach is not that bad though IMO.

Hope you luck out and get a working one.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

charge-it

Quote from: 694spdRT on December 03, 2005, 11:35:01 AM
I bought one of Charger Specialties reproductions. The font is slightly different than the original but, I could not find a decent original one that I had any faith in working. If I had one with the car I would have restored it instead but, with buying one and then fixing it I did not want to have $700 or $800 in a tach. If you get a used one I would not count on it working after 30+ years.   

Couldn`t you have put a new set of correct decals on your repro tic toc tach?
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

694spdRT

Quote from: charge-it on January 18, 2006, 07:53:18 PM
Quote from: 694spdRT on December 03, 2005, 11:35:01 AM

Couldn`t you have put a new set of correct decals on your repro tic toc tach?

Not really. The new tach not only has a different font but, it reads at a different increment than the old one. Therefore, the RPM would be off over the entire range if new decals were applied.

1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

BigBlockSam

the original tachs have to be modified or you have to install a tach trigger . to make them work with electric ignitions. i installed an msd ignition in my charger . threw the tach way off.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img