News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Daytona Bobby Allison Racer - Mecum Auction

Started by maxwellwedge, January 08, 2010, 09:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C5HM

John Donne was not a pop-corn fan, I'm told. Go figure.

Aero426

Word from another board member is that the dash has a '68 Charger VIN (318 car).

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Aero426 on January 23, 2011, 07:34:45 PM
Word from another board member is that the dash has a '68 Charger VIN (318 car).

Well, that explains why there's a small block under the hood.  :lol:
I am Dr. Remulac

C5HM

Might be good for a laugh to get that VIN and run a CarFax on it...to see when the car turd was last...er...raced (yeah, that's the ticket).

tan top

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 23, 2011, 08:08:06 PM

:lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemigeno

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 23, 2011, 08:08:06 PM

Check the block's VIN stamp - might get lucky and add to the car's value.

wingcar

I attended the Russo and Steele Auction in Scottsdale this past week and had the opportunity to see the "infamous" Bobby Allison test Daytona.  What a piece of S****, sorry but anyone who thinks this is in any way, shape or form a legit race Daytona is sadly mistaken.  The rear wing, nose and fender scoops are clearly "homemade"  and look as if an eighth grade auto shop class did the work (sorry eighth grade classes...you would have done a much better job).    Sad that someone would put so much effort into the car only to top it off with some of the worst "wingcar" parts ever mounted on a Charger.   (And, that's just the start of a long list of various items that you just wouldn't find on a real race car).  And, the "fact sheet" that was posted on the windshield clearly stated that this was the Daytona that Bobby Allison drove along with many other inconsistent "facts".    If I were Mario Rossi I would sue anyone that associated my race shop with this thing.  But since he is no longer around, he can't defend himself from being associated with this thing.    It was a good thing the other three Daytona's present, were not parked anywhere near this "thing".   It brings home the fact that it's a buyer beware situation when you go to these auto auctions, and you better do your homework BEFORE putting down your money.  Sadly, this car wasn't the only one being passed off as something it wasn't.   A fool and his money are soon parted.......as this thing actually sold................... :eek2:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

dsblk93gt

I just registered here tonight after reading alot of cool stuff and this car is a MESS. I do not know anything about Daytonas but anyone that knows about race cars would not believe this thing was ever ran on a track. I have been around race cars for years and good god, that thing was a waste of car.

Ghoste

Should we start a pool as to how long before it's for sale again?  I figure that it will be about summer before the current owner gets tired of everyone telling him how badly he was ripped off before he goes searching for a new sucker. (and I also put money that it will continue to be promoted as legit)

charger500440

Quote from: Ghoste on January 27, 2011, 07:30:29 AM
Should we start a pool as to how long before it's for sale again?  I figure that it will be about summer before the current owner gets tired of everyone telling him how badly he was ripped off before he goes searching for a new sucker. (and I also put money that it will continue to be promoted as legit)

Now that is a bet I would not take. I'll bet this hits the market again too and it'll have a crazy price on it...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

pettybird

does anyone have a complete russo and steele auction result sheet?  there were a bunch of cars I wanted to know about...

whitelightning

I had a really "BAD" feeling when I saw this car @ auction And I cant remember Allison ever driving such a car. Maybe I missed something in 1969-1970 NASCAR

Montreal Wing Car

Montreal Wing Car

Richard Cranium

Wow, it's got the standard Charger back window.  Someone's got some big balls to pass that car off.
I am Dr. Remulac

Ghoste

elacruze

Quote from: wingman(22) on January 24, 2011, 10:04:13 AM
My dad is no longer around, so maybe I should sue for SLANDER. It is my fathers good name that will always be associated with the car. It is a shame that people take advantage of people when they are not around or at a weak point. Just like Bobby, I am sure if I put a car that was close to the real deal in front of him he would probably say it was real. I like Bobby but he was not intimate with the cars like my fathers mechanics were. I have talked with them and this car NEVER did exist. And as someone mentioned if it were a test car why would Larry Rathegab not know about it. My father was loosing his sponsor in 1971 and I am sure if this were a real deal Chrysler would have had something to say about it.
I would love to find out who bought the car. Does anyone know?

...that's an interesting thought...are you in a position where this car or the circus around it could cause you economic harm?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Aero426

Richard Cranium

Is that a volt female plug on the right under the window? Don't tell me it's wired for Christmas lights!  :lol:
I am Dr. Remulac

Ghoste

Aero426

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 28, 2011, 10:26:50 AM
Is that a volt female plug on the right under the window? Don't tell me it's wired for Christmas lights!  :lol:

There appears to be a dry sump tank in the back.   Must be a plug in element to pre-heat the oil.

Indydoc

There is "Sound Deadner" sprayed in the door.  Was not aware that "Body's in White" came with Sound Deadner in them ?

Doug

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Aero426 on January 28, 2011, 10:42:01 AM
Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 28, 2011, 10:26:50 AM

There appears to be a dry sump tank in the back.   Must be a plug in element to pre-heat the oil.

Given the the overall package, I'm sticking with Christmas lights.  :lol:
I am Dr. Remulac