News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adapting an A518 transmission to a 440 on the cheap?

Started by chargerbr549, January 10, 2010, 09:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerbr549

I am toying with the idea of putting an A518 tranny behind my 440 in my 74 2wd pickup can I use a midmount plate like this one from summit racing  and basically use it as an adapter from smallblock to bigblock bolt pattern with maybe some modifications to make it work?

Kevin

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-4038/?rtype=10

RD

nope, because you are using the same bolts to mate the trans to the engine.

get a ultrabell, cut the A518 bellhousing off, mate the ultrabell and you will be good to go.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

motorcitydak

96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

oldcarnut

Saw this on Moparts
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3453311&page=1&fpart=1&vc=1

This was for a truck install but for a 70 B-Body has anyone installed it to say how the tunnel fit/mods were? 

200MPH

HighPerformance Mopar  mag had a right up on the swap I believe it was called "Roach Runner"  i think it required mods to the tunnel or torsion bar area, but there is another article too,but on a Dart.. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm   has switches and suggestions etc.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/727transmission.htm

scroll down the page a bit on this one

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,231.0.html

there is some cutting to be done on different cars, i still think this the cheapest option over the Keisler GM Transmission. IMO only!
Charger

b5blue

flyinlow

Put a 518 in my 440 Charger last year . Used the Ultrabell. Appeared the best and least expensive way.

Transmission                        $400
Ultrabell                               $325
Big cooler+ 3/8" lines               $100
Transgo shift kit                       $125
Spare crossmember, fluid
wiring and switches ,
speedometer cable extemtion        $100
Shorten driveshaft                         $60
                                                _____
                                                $1110 

Two days work with lift and 2 guys.............worth it!  4500 miles on it so far.                                             

b5blue

Any photos? Did you have body mods and trans mount adapting? What TC are you using?  :drool5:

flyinlow

Body mods where small . I let my buddy (Chevy guy, he enjoyed it) take a ballpein hammer to the tunnel to make 2 half golf ball size clearances. You dont notice them with carpet.

Removed some of the webbing on the tailshaft housing. You may not need to do this with a truck. My trans  came out of a 94 B3500 van with a 5.9L engine.

Significant crossmember mods. That's why I bought a spare. Chevy pick up truck trans mount used .

Converter is stock 11" lock up that came with the trans. Probably about 2500 rpm stall with my mild build 446. Would have to put slicks on to tell. Plan on putting a TCI lock up converter in someday. Very limited choices with a 518.

The front part of the trans is basically a smallblock 727. With the Transgo kit in it has been working fine so far.
I do not beat on the car in overdrive and lockup. The overdrive and converter clutches are not rated for over 400 lbs. of torque. Eventually I will put better clutches and stronger springs in. Maybe John or Jamie will chime in here .
In 1,2 and 3 gear ,I beat on it just like a torkflite.

You will need 3/8 cooler lines and the 518 uses a cable to operate the kickdown. I modified my kickdown rod and linkage to work . Takes some fiddling . Do not run without it. Shifter is a Hurst quarterstick 2. Overdrive and lock are controlled by two toggle switches. They simply compleat the circuit to ground. I use a vacuum switch on the converter circuit. If the intake vacuum drops below 6" the converter unlocks.

In traffic you drive it like a torkflite(switches off). When you get out on the road you flip the OD switch. (700rpm drop). Then if you are not going to stop for awhile you flip the lockup switch. (300 rpm drop). 1000 rpm drop at 70mph with 3.55 axle.

As you slow you should unlock the converter . Around 25mph the engine gets unhappy if you have not. The converter will unlock on its own as the trans downshifts into first at about 12-15 mph . Would not recommend letting it do this!

If you leave the OD switch on it just shifts into OD about a second after the 2-3 shift. Makes the converter slip more and the car feels sluggish until up to speed.

Will try to post pictures.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58556.msg652819.html#msg652819

flyinlow

518 mod.

200MPH

Charger

b5blue

Thanks I've got a much clearer idea of what it takes, it's a better option than the GV overdrive some have had trouble with.  :2thumbs:

flyinlow

Quote from: 200MPH on January 12, 2010, 01:11:57 PM
Would these mods work for a 618 trans

Not sure . 618 should be stronger, but the valvebody is probably set up for a diesel.

200MPH

Charger

flyinlow

more pictures

b5blue

Now..I 'm wondering about the speedo gear, is it changeable for axle ratio adjustment like 727?  :scratchchin:

flyinlow

518 uses an electric speedo. But, the 727/904 geardrive works in it. It is farther back. I used a 20" speedo cable extention. Drive comes out buy the crossmember on 73-74 Chargers. Had to cut and reinforce. Uses the same
speedo gears as torkflights.

200MPH

Charger

flyinlow

The 727 I had in my car after I put the 440 in was a buddy's Ray Christain trans from 30 years ago. Still worked fine,but he did not want to sell it. So I was looking for a trans any way.

Looked at GV . Only .78 OD

The 4l60 is supposed to be a decent trans. 3.06 first gear is nice. .65 OD if I remember is good also.  However.....
It is a small block chevy trans, heavily modified to live behind a Big Block Mopar. It requires a computer to operate it .As long as it works it is great. If I am 500 miles from home when it quits , I don't know if NAPA will have one.

Eventually after I upgrade the clutches and converter I will have about $2200 total in the swap doing the work myself.

The A518 looks and drives like a Mopar transmission. It was my choice , good luck with yours. :2thumbs:

200MPH

Charger

b5blue

I have an ace in my back pocket. The friend that sold me my car owns a transmission shop! We talked about this 14 years ago (and since). The 70 was his first car and he had it for 17 years before I bought it. I almost switched from 440 to small block but the 440 had 1 build left in it, so I kept it. With my new job at the V.A. 2 miles from my home and having built the car as a long range cruiser (3.23 rear) this swap would be perfect a year or two from now when my money is better.  :2thumbs:

ac_knight

I am extremely considering doing this, this thread will be a big help in the future.

Big440

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but have been a car guy all my life. I'm building a 68 Charger ( rotisserie resto, but also a driver) so I'm interested in overdrive. The A518 looks like a good choice but I have some questions. My car is going to have a 500 CID engine around 500-600 bhp when done (440 stroked) do you think the 518 will handle hard launches and the 1-2 shift?  I don't plan on beating the car, just want to smoke some mustangs off the line! Anyone have any problems after their install? Parts breaking? How about flex plate, will the 518 converter bolt up to the 440 flex plate?
Any other info would be great .
Thanks

flyinlow

The 518 front section is very similar to a smallblock 727. Mine came out of a one ton van with a 5.9L engine. My engine makes more torgue (525-550 ftlb ?)  but the vehical is lighter. I have BFG tires which are a relief valve for my drivetrain. They spin before things break. I installed a Transgo reprograming kit and want to upgrade the clutches in the future. I DO NOT subject the OD and lock clutch to full throttle

Converter bolted to the stock 440 flex plate. The converter had a balance weight for the external balance 360. I ground the welds and removed it.

Big440

Are you happy with the 518? It doesn't sound like you had any problems yet.
My concern is that because the 518 is for a small block is it strong enough for a big block? Also you mentioned a reprogram? I thought there was no control unit with the 518 swap, just two switches for OD and lockup. So what is the reprogram? Also are you able to tell me the sources for the Ultra Bell and speedo extension?
Thanks