News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much Daytona does $75,000 buy?

Started by Tom Q, January 11, 2010, 11:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I just had my clone appraised.  I got the sheet back and called the company, I said " you know this is not a real Daytona"  The receptionist had the guy who did the appraisal call me back.  The guy started with " could you build this identicle car from scratch, to this level for less than I valued it?" I don't think I can, but if some one offered the appraised price, I hope he doesn't do it in front of my wife :eek2:  Bottom line, I don't think we can predict what any of these cars will be worth in the future.  Makes me glad I have never built or bought any of my cars as an investment.  I will enjoy the car Larry built me just as much if I were told it's only worth $20,000 :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hotrod98

Quote from: 41husk on April 25, 2010, 05:32:27 PM
I just had my clone appraised.  I got the sheet back and called the company, I said " you know this is not a real Daytona"  The receptionist had the guy who did the appraisal call me back.  The guy started with " could you build this identicle car from scratch, to this level for less than I valued it?" I don't think I can, but if some one offered the appraised price, I hope he doesn't do it in front of my wife :eek2:  Bottom line, I don't think we can predict what any of these cars will be worth in the future.  Makes me glad I have never built or bought any of my cars as an investment.  I will enjoy the car Larry built me just as much if I were told it's only worth $20,000 :cheers:

Did the guy that appraised it know that it was a real R/T SE triple black car? To me that makes the car worth more than say a regular 318 base Charger that has been converted since your car could always be converted back to it's correct form if the Daytona clone market should ever tank...which I doubt that it ever will.
If that were to happen, I know the guy that has the original front end, deck lid and back glass stuff for your car in his basement.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

41husk

Yes, He took the vin asked about thae data plate and seemed to know what he was doing.  I would have had a bit more faith in him had he worn something besides a Chevy hat :brickwall:.  He interviewed me, I told him I have purchased steering box, turn signal switch, tail light lenses, marker light lenses and stereo.  He said he knew of someone who was building replicas and selling them for over $80k  :shruggy: Anyone know who that might be?  The appraisal was simply for insurance.  I went in to my agent Friday dropped off the appraisel and let him take pics of the car for the file.  He did not blink an eye at the value.  This guy also appraised the 70 Challenger convertible.  It came back $500 less than I had it insured for, so I left that the same.  It seems like he was right in the ball park on the Challenger.  Maybe he knows the values?  Either way niether car is for sale.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 41husk on April 25, 2010, 07:10:31 PM
Yes, He took the vin asked about thae data plate and seemed to know what he was doing.  I would have had a bit more faith in him had he worn something besides a Chevy hat :brickwall:.  He interviewed me, I told him I have purchased steering box, turn signal switch, tail light lenses, marker light lenses and stereo.  He said he knew of someone who was building replicas and selling them for over $80k  :shruggy: Anyone know who that might be?  The appraisal was simply for insurance.  I went in to my agent Friday dropped off the appraisel and let him take pics of the car for the file.  He did not blink an eye at the value.  This guy also appraised the 70 Challenger convertible.  It came back $500 less than I had it insured for, so I left that the same.  It seems like he was right in the ball park on the Challenger.  Maybe he knows the values?  Either way niether car is for sale.

So what did it appraise at? 20k ? or? Ikinda confused here.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

41husk

No!  I would enjoy it just as much if it had appraised for 20k.  It is estimated to be worth a bit more than that.  I guess if you take a real R/T SE add nose cone. window plug, fender scoops and wing, add the paint and body work maybe it is appraised close to the value :cheers:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Charger-Bodie

Thats cool,I read that a couple times and just wasnt quite sure what you were saying.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

DAY CLONA

So what did it appraise at? 20k ? or? Ikinda confused here.
[/quote]

Generaly when they appraise clones, the base car, regardless of it's "heritage"....wether it be a /6 car or 440/6, plain jane, R/T, etc originaly, plays little value in the overall appraisial, the clone has undergone a new transformation, and is appraised on the quality of the car and combination of it's parts, current driveline, etc,....current market value can be used to increase the value of the appraisial, should you think it's too low, but you need to show "evidence" of the current market value from other sources, like auctions, or Ebay sales, etc,...only sales made

Generally the apprasial is based on what it takes to replace the vehicle in the current market, generally all the clones I built for myself and customers have allways appraised for a minimum of $75K-$100K,.....and the vehicles have ranged from 318 to U code 440 cars......but keep in mind the car must present itself as a quality build to obtain a high appraisial also

Make sure to get an AGREED policy, a STATED policy will leave you out in the cold if you have a complete loss, an AGREED policy is the total loss/appraised value you and your Insurance company have AGREED on,....a STATED policy will be turned on you if you need to collect on a total loss, that's when the Insurance company claims your clone was a 318 car and wants to adjust the policy to reflect that, .....an AGREED policy leaves no room for the Insurance company to back out of the AGREED amount of loss

Mike

41husk

Im sorry I seem to know exactly what I want to say when I type it, but often after it's posted and I read it I'm not sure what I am saying :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

I have an agreed value but State Farm requested I have two published values ie. Old cars collector guide and hemmings.  I couldnt find a publication that listed a replicas value.  My insurance Co. gave me a list of appraisors and told me a professional appraiser replaces published values.  I simply called the cheepest Company they listed.  I have been around Mopars all my life and I think I could buy a real wing car for there appraised value, not a Daytona but a Bird and not as nice as my clone, of course.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on April 25, 2010, 08:14:43 PM
I have an agreed value but State Farm requested I have two published values ie. Old cars collector guide and hemmings.  I couldnt find a publication that listed a replicas value.  My insurance Co. gave me a list of appraisors and told me a professional appraiser replaces published values.  I simply called the cheepest Company they listed.  I have been around Mopars all my life and I think I could buy a real wing car for there appraised value, not a Daytona but a Bird and not as nice as my clone, of course.
I insured the birdible for 55k agreed value , they wanted me to insure it for more ,but i figured I could build it again for that so they said ok .  Some of the companys said it was a modified car and wanted to charge me double to insure it .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1972Rallye

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1972Rallye

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1972Rallye on April 30, 2010, 01:53:21 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on April 30, 2010, 01:49:45 PM
Quote from: 1972Rallye on April 30, 2010, 01:25:16 PM
...just throwing it out there.  :cheers:

Why? is it still for sale?

Yes... surprisingly  :shruggy:

Has he fixed the items that need addressing, like the engine compartment details, heater hoses, etc and is he still looking to get 169K? Is the rear window trim there or is it missing? Looks gone in the photos........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

1972Rallye

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 30, 2010, 01:58:34 PM
Quote from: 1972Rallye on April 30, 2010, 01:53:21 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on April 30, 2010, 01:49:45 PM
Quote from: 1972Rallye on April 30, 2010, 01:25:16 PM
...just throwing it out there.  :cheers:

Why? is it still for sale?

Yes... surprisingly  :shruggy:

Has he fixed the items that need addressing, like the engine compartment details, heater hoses, etc and is he still looking to get 169K? Is the rear window trim there or is it missing? Looks gone in the photos........

As far as I know, everything is still as it shows in the photos.  The heater core started to leak, so he simply by-passed the core - that's why they're missing. Honestly, he drives his cars more than he shows them, but he said he would gladly put one in if it became an issue. The original rear window trim is missing, a black substitute was installed just to have something there.  The jacks and spare were stolen at a car show.  :icon_smile_angry:  Kris is a straight-shooter and will not misrepresent anything...

I just talked to him and his asking price is still $169,000

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1972Rallye on April 30, 2010, 02:20:10 PM
...The jacks and spare were stolen at a car show.  :icon_smile_angry:  ...

double  :icon_smile_angry:   Some people have too much gall..........
Troy

Aero426

This is a good example of a car priced high (for todays market) that you have to say "Yeah, but..."

It's a nice car, but, the rear window trim is missing...
It's a nice car, but the scissors jack is missing...
It's a nice car, but it's not the original engine...
It's a nice car, but it needs a heater core (and what else?)...

I'm sure it's a good car, but when you have to start saying these things over and over, it's not a surprise it hasn't sold at 169k.   Then, again, he not be motivated to sell either.   At the very least, the easier things like the jacks, spare and heater core should be dealt with.   I'm not down on the car.   Just sayin...

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on April 30, 2010, 03:40:20 PM
This is a good example of a car priced high (for todays market) that you have to say "Yeah, but..."

I'll have to agree with Doug on this one..... My Daytona has all it's original sheetmetal and pretty much has everything except the original drivetrain.. It wouldn't even bring $110K, albeit I wasn't really pushing it either....

Troy
Troy

1972Rallye

Quote from: Aero426 on April 30, 2010, 03:40:20 PM

It's a nice car, but, the rear window trim is missing...
It's a nice car, but the scissors jack is missing...
It's a nice car, but it's not the original engine...
It's a nice car, but it needs a heater core (and what else?)...

I'm sure it's a good car, but when you have to start saying these things over and over, it's not a surprise it hasn't sold at 169k.   Then, again, he not be motivated to sell either.   At the very least, the easier things like the jacks, spare and heater core should be dealt with.   I'm not down on the car.   Just sayin...

Understood...The detail stuff is what's going to jump out to real buyers and this car is lacking in the areas discussed.  If I could get my hands on it for a couple weeks... it would be ready to go, but it's his car, his price.  :shruggy:

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 30, 2010, 06:28:12 PM

I'll have to agree with Doug on this one..... My Daytona has all it's original sheetmetal and pretty much has everything except the original drivetrain.. It wouldn't even bring $110K, albeit I wasn't really pushing it either....

Troy

Good info that I'll share with him next time I see him.  We're going to have a treasure hunt (he's never looked for the broadcast sheet).

Aero426

That would be great to see if you can find something under the seat.       

Kismgby

Y'know...maybe the price is high because he knows it high.  We probably all have our "stupid money" price.  The price where someone would be stupid to offer and we'd be stupid to turn down. 

Then again, there are those folks who think they have solid gold on wheels.....

hemi68charger

Quote from: Kismgby on May 01, 2010, 11:50:23 AM

Then again, there are those folks who think they have solid gold on wheels.....

I have a pumpkin on wheels......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

Beep Beep Dave

Interesting thread. Based on where the car market has gone and now seemingly came back down to it seems to me that the DAYTONA's out there for sale have been for quite some time. And the majority of those seem to be owned by the flipper types who need to get what they paid for them hence the no sales.

Has anyone heard of any recent sales, say the last three months or so?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

mauve66

this one is in town if anyone wants some unbiased pics or something, after readin the full description i realised its in NJ, the web seller is here in vagas, but i don't think its worth the asking price after reading this thread..........

http://www.classiccars.com/111482.car
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak