News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ASAP!!!! Best place to get new windshield? what about windshield/window clips?

Started by elanmars, January 20, 2010, 02:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elanmars

1. I need a new windshield. Any places ya'll recommend? cheapest, fastest?

2. For the windshield and back window clips, are there any that are better than others? any recommendations?

3. Does anyone make the rubber molding/weatherstrip for the back window?

need to get these ordered TODAY, the faster they get here, the faster I'll get my car back!!!!!

1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

69charger440

CAll Dixie restoration see what they can do for you. Ask for Lea!!!! 770-975-9898 :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

twodko

I've got a 69 too. The back window doesn't use a gasket, its held in place with clips and adhesive. R/T Specialties is a great source for factory correct clips/gaskets etc. When you buy your front windshield get the gasket for it at the same time and install promptly. Beware of cheap windshields, they may not be as thick as OEM glass and you'll never be able to get a good seal using one. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Troy

Windshields are available nearly everywhere. The glass company doing the installation should be able to get one easily. Same with the gasket.

The reproduction clips aren't exact but I don't know if anyone has ones that are better than others. They are pretty common and all the big vendors should have them.

The rear window is held in with sealer - no gasket.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

pettybird

if you want the tinted window with the tint band on top PPG makes a great one.

We JUST installed an all-clear windshield into a '70 Super Bee (same as yours) from AMD and it went in perfectly.  Troy's right about watching your sources for the clear glass--

resq302

Well, I am in the market for a new windshield also.  Long story but I need a new one and I was going to replace the gasket since the last time the windshield company put it in, they didn't warranty for leaks since it was reusing my gasket even though they said it was good. 

Is there a tsb bulletin or factory diagram as to where the sealer went on the bottom of the window chanel?

Also, mine would need to be a clear windshield since my car does not have a/c. 

What is this about Troy said something about watching our sources for the clear windshields???? :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

b5blue

FSM outlines install of windshield 3M bedding & glazing compound, black part # 08509....it goes all around the inside and outside of the gaskets slots and on the bottom or it will leak. Get the best clips for trim as I found when I went back to re seal my windshield from not putting sealant between glass and rubber gasket that my new clips were rusting allot in 1 year of use. Steel touching aluminum accelerates rust.  :eek2:

resq302

Quote from: b5blue on January 23, 2010, 10:04:15 AM
FSM outlines install of windshield 3M bedding & glazing compound, black part # 08509....it goes all around the inside and outside of the gaskets slots and on the bottom or it will leak. Get the best clips for trim as I found when I went back to re seal my windshield from not putting sealant between glass and rubber gasket that my new clips were rusting allot in 1 year of use. Steel touching aluminum accelerates rust:eek2:

Its called electrolysis.  Occurs when dis-similar metals come in contact with each other.  I will have to look that up in my service manual and try to copy it for the person whoever replaces my windshield when the time comes.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

b5blue

The original were 38-39 years old and some were broke/rusted. I installed all new ones from Mopars by Crane and in 18 months they are all brown...they were black coated when installed. (?) I think factory were green coated?

resq302

Brian

b5blue

I wonder where to get them? (or known good ones!)  :scratchchin: I have a set for the rear I'm NOT installing now.  :RantExplode:

resq302

try R/T specialties.  I think the last set we got for the chally that we got from him were green.
Brian

resq302

if he doesn't have them, you could try Bill Alphin of A&M high tech auto.
Brian

elanmars

Quote from: b5blue on January 23, 2010, 10:04:15 AM
FSM outlines install of windshield 3M bedding & glazing compound, black part # 08509....it goes all around the inside and outside of the gaskets slots and on the bottom or it will leak. Get the best clips for trim as I found when I went back to re seal my windshield from not putting sealant between glass and rubber gasket that my new clips were rusting allot in 1 year of use. Steel touching aluminum accelerates rust.  :eek2:

What's that exactly? sorry it's Greek to me right now, break it down simple for the not-so-smart folks like I! thanks.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

resq302

In not so technical terms, I am guessing it is the strip caulk or sealant they used to set the windshield in place to prevent leaks.
Brian

b5blue

You put the "caulk" in all the slots of the rubber gasket......the ones that go to the steel edge of the windshield frame and along the bottom against the dash area, and all around where the glass goes into the rubber gasket.....I typed this very slowly.... so you will understand it better!  :lol: It's just like the caulk you get at home depot in a tube for a caulk gun except the correct stuff. I listed it as it is old school and nobody at the local level around me understands what is needed.....they just  :shruggy: huff and flop through books then order the wrong stuff. (the back glass goes on with what looks like gooey black rope, that's different stuff, get a tube of what I listed and use lots....it's what the factory used.  :2thumbs:

TylerCharger69

I'm getting mine from a place called Iron Cross Auto Glass here in Corpus Christi, Texas....165 bucks installed....includes new rubber too!!!   Owners name is Ron Parker....i think there is a website you can Google