News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender Tag inspection stamp

Started by BS27ROB, August 17, 2018, 11:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BS27ROB

All this talk about original fender tag prompted me to look closer at the tag on my Daytona. Everything looks OK as far as I know, spacing, bend, light pitting, some characters ("B"s and "8"s) look a little shallower than other characters but I don't see any sign of an inspection stamp. Did not all tags get that?

hemigeno

Hi Cy,

I've looked at quite a few fender tags over the years, and it is NOT uncommon for there to be no inspection stamp on a Daytona and other late-built 1969-model Hamtramck tags.  Quite often (but not always) there will still be a strip of aluminum attached between the tag and the inner fender - and it's my understanding that this strip is where the inspector's stamp would go.  The pic below is from Jim McCauley's incredible time-capsule car.

My memory is suspect enough that I won't make a blanket statement such as there should never be an inspection stamp on a late '69 Hamtramck tag itself.  I do not, off the top of my head, recall seeing one... but I may find a pic of an original tag in the next 15 minutes that proves otherwise.  For now, I would just say that your tag looks spot-on for what I would expect to see.

:2thumbs:

BS27ROB

69_500

Same type of tag next to my fender tag