News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

to sand or not to sand thats the question

Started by inhrmswy, July 31, 2005, 02:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inhrmswy

I have just gotten my car into its first coat of epoxy primer.  (I took the entire car down to bare metal)  My question is, do I need to wet sand the epoxy primer before I put on the high build sanding primer or do I just put it right over the top of the epoxy with no surface prep?   Thanks in advance.
Keyton

Silver R/T

no you do not usually sand epoxy primer, but you do sand primer surfacer. I would go over with wax and grease remover and then tack it and then youre ready to shoot it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar_madman

depends on the product and the window you have to recoat. if you spray the high build within the recoat window its fine but sometimes when fully cured you may have to just scuff the surface before adding another primer. Check with the manufacture some are different.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

MGBRingo

I would sand it, especially if it has dried for a few days or more.

Silver R/T

I wouldnt let it sit for while but as soon as flash time passes spray it with surfacer
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Drop Top

Most epoxy primers have a wind of 12 to 24 hrs. The only one that I know of with a bigger window is PPG's DPLF line of primers. From what I'm seeing here. If you haven't already sprayed it. You need to scuff the car first. Its better to be sure the blocking primer will stick now then to have to worry about it latter.