News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona-Outside-Pole-Position-of-the-1970-Daytona

Started by rob-dirt, January 22, 2010, 01:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anybody seen this befor

yes ?
8 (72.7%)
no
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

C500

I love it.  :drool5: :drool5: If I was ever going to own a Daytona, it would be a race version like this one.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Aero426

You can't believe everything you read.    The history on this car has been revised quite a bit in recent years to make it appear more favorable.     It did spend a lot of time on the 1970 auto show circuit.  It is my opinion along with others, that the car did not actually race as a Daytona.   

Cotton Owens sold the car for just over 800k in 2005.   The next owner sold it last fall for 224k to the current seller.   

learical1

"Baker began his NASCAR career in 1959. In 1970, he became the first driver to ever exceed 200 mph (320 km/h) on a closed course. The same year, with a victory at the Southern 500, he became the first NASCAR driver to win the same race at the same venue as his father."

Lee Petty won the 59 Daytona 500.  Richard Petty won the 64 and 66 Daytona 500s.   :shruggy:
Bruce

68X426

It was the Pettys first, then the Bakers. Buddy won at Darlington in 1970 and father Buck won at the same track in 1953. Lee and Richard had both won the 500 first. Easy to verify.

BUT GUESS WHAT, the Pettys did it way earlier than the 500. Lee and Richard had both won at Hillsboro (Occoneechee Speedway) much earlier. Lee won there in 1950 and Richard won there in 1960. So that's ten years before the ad claims it.

The Bakers were both great racers. Buck Baker was likely the better. In a four year span he was champion in 1956 and 1957 and second in 55 and 58. Between the two they had 65 wins.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

learical1

Maybe they're trying to say that Buck and Buddy were the first father-son combo to win the Southern 500?
Bruce

daytonalo

Highbanked Hauler

There is a picture  somewhere of  the no. 6 car with the nose a lot closer to the track than that one.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Highbanked Hauler

500K and it looks like they painted the inside and underside with Chevy trunk paint and clear coated the outside. :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

1969chargerrtse

"Cotton Owens sold the car for just over 800k in 2005.   The next owner sold it last fall for 224k to the current seller."

Ouch. :slap:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

chargerboy69

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 25, 2010, 06:33:33 AM
"Cotton Owens sold the car for just over 800k in 2005.   The next owner sold it last fall for 224k to the current seller."

Thats what I thought too.  I bet his wife is still bitching about that one.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69 rt

Rob,
You have a nice piece getting finished now. I plan to go up to the shop tonight to see the progress.

Stenton

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

Aero426

Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 25, 2010, 08:48:58 AM

Which wife, his new one, or his old one?   

The guy who sold it for 224k lost a lot of money on many cars at the auction last fall.   This one was not the biggest hit.   When asked about it, he was quoted as saying, "I've had worse days".     Granted, this is a guy paid a million bucks for Paul McCartney to play at his future ex-wife's 50th birthday party.   

wingman(22)

I spoke to the owner at Canepa and he said they took the car and refinished it. They disassembled some of the parts and painted them. He also did some work on the outside of the car. I don't know why because the car was original. They painted part of the roll cage, removed the carpet, and resprayed the underside.
I have a lot of pics before the car left Cotton's shop and when I saw this one I called them to see if it was a clone. It looked too new to be the one that sold for 800k. The owner of Canepa told me it was the same car and he did the above work to it. What a shame to change a piece of history like that.

Bill

Aero426

Quote from: wingman(22) on February 05, 2010, 11:39:45 AM
I spoke to the owner at Canepa and he said they took the car and refinished it. They disassembled some of the parts and painted them. He also did some work on the outside of the car. I don't know why because the car was original. They painted part of the roll cage, removed the carpet, and resprayed the underside.
I have a lot of pics before the car left Cotton's shop and when I saw this one I called them to see if it was a clone. It looked too new to be the one that sold for 800k. The owner of Canepa told me it was the same car and he did the above work to it. What a shame to change a piece of history like that.

Bill

Gosh it had a couple of rough edges, but sure didn't need that.    I don't know why someone would mess with that stuff.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Aero426 on February 03, 2010, 05:11:26 PM
Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 25, 2010, 08:48:58 AM

Which wife, his new one, or his old one?   

The guy who sold it for 224k lost a lot of money on many cars at the auction last fall.   This one was not the biggest hit.   When asked about it, he was quoted as saying, "I've had worse days".     Granted, this is a guy paid a million bucks for Paul McCartney to play at his future ex-wife's 50th birthday party.   
Very interesting. :pity:  I always wondered how the rich handled those problems?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

It's amazing to look at all the those race pictures and then stuffed far back on the left side of the firewall is this Itty bitty, little, tiny, thing called a MASTER CYL.