News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Help! Engine Question

Started by oldschool_muscle, December 05, 2005, 10:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschool_muscle

I just bought a new intake manifold. It is a Weiand brand G Team manifold that is supposed to be able to fit a 400 ci engine. I have a 400 magnum  in a 73' charger but i dont know if there is a difference. When i attempted to put to put it on not only did the bolts not screw in flush but there were 2 holes on the left center and right center showing on the outside of the manifold. Can anybody help me out. This is my first project and im learning as im going so any help i can get is nice.

- Tim
- Tim
1973 Charger

Bandit72

not trying to be mean, but did you put it on backwards  ???   thats the only thing i can think of, a 440 manifold is different i know ,but they don't even come close to matching up...
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

oldschool_muscle

Im not a mechanic but im sure i didnt put it in backwards.
- Tim
1973 Charger

Bandit72

hmm, thats  honestly the first time i've heard of this, of course i'm only 18 so i guess thats not so unbeleivable....   :-\

oldschool_muscle

Im only 17 so im right there with you.
- Tim
1973 Charger

694spdRT

Here is what I can think off hand since there is no picture of the mis-alignment, you did not say how far the bolts are off, and I don't know what experience you have.

1) The heads have been milled enough that the bolt holes are not lining up and you will need to have the manifold milled accordingly.

2) You don't have a 400 engine.(don't take this wrong just a possibility as I had a guy swear a 318 was a 400)

3) They shipped you a 440 manifold, 400 Chevy manifold, 400 pontiac manifold, or a 400 Ford manifold. :shruggy:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

694spdRT

Also, did your intake gasket line up properly? Test fit it on the heads first and then the manifold.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

firefighter3931

Post the part number that's on the manifold and if possible take a pic so we can figure out what's up.....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Big Lebowski

:popcrn: About 9 Chargers ago, early 80's, I had the same problem. I hogged out the intake holes with a drill bit, and it ran horrible from a real bad vacumn leak from not seating right. Some Alum manifolds use 2 gaskets.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

oldschool_muscle

Thanx for all the replies and 694spdRT  I think u hit it on the nose with your number 3 option. So i think im gonna have to send it back and get one thats for a Dodge. (Damn i feel stupid :P) So thanx everybody.

- Tim
- Tim
1973 Charger

cudaken

Tim, the tight bolt thing is pretty much normal. You need to play with the valley pan a little, press down the pan with your hand some while you start the bolt's.

OK, lets back up. Tim, pull the intake, with valley pan on (intake gasket) will the bolts go in? If so, yank the valley pan and set the intake on, will the bolts line up then? Tell us what happens when you try the above. Could be a bad intake, but more than likely gasket is causing the problen. On my last 440, it took a couple with wrigels to get the bolts in. I was cussing as well, but not the first time I cussed a intake.

I am shocked any one would think it was Bowe Tie intake (would not be close) or a 440 intake! If it was a 440 intake only one side would bolt up, not 2 on 1 side and 1 on the other? You guys full of Cam 2? I
am  ;D

Ron, buddy of mine, want to tell him about the Thermostat Housing :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Runner

you  know i might be wrong here as ive never tried it,  but i think a bb mopar intake will bolt up just fine backwards. espeically a single plane intake. the only real diferance should be the ciol mount and the carb pad tapper and the victor intake has a flat carb pad.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Bandit72

Quote from: Runner on December 06, 2005, 09:31:52 PM
you  know i might be wrong here as ive never tried it,  but i think a bb mopar intake will bolt up just fine backwards. espeically a single plane intake. the only real diferance should be the ciol mount and the carb pad tapper and the victor intake has a flat carb pad.

i think your right, the more that i think about it....

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on December 06, 2005, 09:21:18 PM
Tim, the tight bolt thing is pretty much normal. You need to play with the valley pan a little, press down the pan with your hand some while you start the bolt's.

OK, lets back up. Tim, pull the intake, with valley pan on (intake gasket) will the bolts go in? If so, yank the valley pan and set the intake on, will the bolts line up then? Tell us what happens when you try the above. Could be a bad intake, but more than likely gasket is causing the problen. On my last 440, it took a couple with wrigels to get the bolts in. I was cussing as well, but not the first time I cussed a intake.

I am shocked any one would think it was Bowe Tie intake (would not be close) or a 440 intake! If it was a 440 intake only one side would bolt up, not 2 on 1 side and 1 on the other? You guys full of Cam 2? I
am   ;D

Ron, buddy of mine, want to tell him about the Thermostat Housing :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken

:iagree: Thats why i asked for the part number to be posted. The 7533 casting is a 383/400 single plane. The 7534/7538 manifolds are 413/440 singleplanes. A simple looksee at the intake for a part # would go a long way towards clearing up the confusion.   ;)

Yes, they can be mounted backwards....and no, i didn't do it that way !   :P

Ken, we won't talk about that thermostat housing anymore...OK ?   :D

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldschool_muscle

Thanx guys im gonna try and get the part number ASAP. The manifold is at my grandma's house since that is where i work on the car at (she has a huge empty garage).
- Tim
1973 Charger

cudaken

Yes they will bolt up backwards, beside the coil, thottle bracket will not bolt up right.

Now, how could it be a 440 intake if 5 of the 8 bolts will go in? Anyone  :icon_smile_big:

Ron, as far as the other thing. I was 90% sure you where wrong. But I did go check mine before I said anything. When you know a lot it is easy to get confused. :icon_smile_big: Know only 1 to 2 things easy to keep that straight in your head.

Cuda Ken

I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on December 06, 2005, 10:49:02 PM
  Now, how could it be a 440 intake if 5 of the 8 bolts will go in? Anyone   :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken

Ken, where in the original post does it say that ? From what i read it sounded like the intake manifold holes weren't lining up with the heads. Maybe it's the way it's worded...but that's how i interpreted it. It wouldn't be the first time that someone tried to bolt a rb manifold on a lowdeck. Heck, i made the same mistake many moons ago.....thought i'd bought a 383 Torker (that's what i was told by the seller) and it turned out to be a 440 manifold.   :P

Ron

cudaken

Old what ever s--t ;D Just say classic Mopar. Only way it is the intake is if it was not made right. Part number will not help.

There are to kinds of Big Block Mopar's. Big Block, 350 (not a mistake) 361, 383 and 400. Then there are the Raised Block's. They are (there was a RB 383 but don't think about them, just make you more confuesd) 413's, 426 Wedge's (not the Hemi) and 440. Reason they are called Raised Block's is because the cylinder wall are .25" taller than a Big Block. Take the .25" taller cylinder times 2 (it is a V-8) that makes the RB engines 1/2" wider than the BB blocks. There is no way in heck you could get 5 of the 8 bolts in. All you would see in the intake was in the center would be half a head hole for the intake.

By the way, don't use the following words. Bling, Dual Dogs, Spinners or Dubb's! :icon_smile_approve: 85% of us are the Real Old School and don't react well to Goofie wheels, Rubber Band tires or shacking trunk lids. But still happy to help with your quest of Mopar. My self, I am 49.

Cuda Ken
I am back

cudaken

Quote from: oldschool_muscle on December 05, 2005, 10:18:26 PM
When i attempted to put to put it on not only did the bolts not screw in flush but there were 2 holes on the left center and right center showing on the outside of the manifold.

Ron, maybe again I missed read, but Left Center and Right center sounds like a gasket problem to me and not the wrong intake.

Maybe wrong again Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: cudaken on December 06, 2005, 11:10:38 PM
Quote from: oldschool_muscle on December 05, 2005, 10:18:26 PM
When i attempted to put to put it on not only did the bolts not screw in flush but there were 2 holes on the left center and right center showing on the outside of the manifold.

Ron, maybe again I missed read, but Left Center and Right center sounds like a gasket problem to me and not the wrong intake.

Maybe wrong again Ken

Interesting....2 people read the same sentence but have different interpretations. Now that you mention it...it appears that the gasket creeped up on the head and is causing the misalignment. I wonder if oldschool bolted down the endrails first ? That usually brings the port alignment in check by flattening out the bathtub.

Somehing else worth noting : the team g manifolds are known for core shift and port alignment problems. It wouldn't hurt to check it out closely before trying to bolt it back on....

Ron

cudaken

Old school this no a slam so don't take it that way. I could not type or spell my way out of a paper bag.

Ron, the way he said it did not help either. Think I got the point due to my miss spelling. But then again I may very well be wrong as well.

Maybe he bought a Cuda Ken Decoder ring during the close out sell and did not read the instrustions :P ;D :icon_smile_approve:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Runner

Quote from: cudaken on December 06, 2005, 10:49:02 PM
Yes they will bolt up backwards, beside the coil, thottle bracket will not bolt up right.

Cuda Ken

throttle bracket shouldnt be an issue either to bolt it up backwards.  all my throttle brackets are attached with 2 intake bolts.    should bolt right up eitherway.

694spdRT

Quote from: cudaken on December 06, 2005, 09:21:18 PM
am   ;D
                               Cuda Ken

That was my last idea on giving him some info. I really doubted that was the answer but, all he said was he ordered a Team G manifold for a 400. I can easily see someone at the factory tossing another 400 intake in the wrong box. From the description it sounded to me like the manifold was not fitting right at all and was too long. I think it is probably a milling problem or fitment issue and that was why I asked him about the intake gasket as well in my 2nd post. A part number or picture would really help.  

Regardless, I hope he can get the problem solved.  

Oh, I prefer Mike's Hard Lemonade as one bottle equals about two CAM2's.   :cheers:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Chryco Psycho

put 4 bolts in 1 side & start toi tighten it down , you may need a pry bar to push the oither side down , the 2 holes that are showing are the openings around the heat crossover , this is normal , you can pry in those holes to get the intake dawn enough ot get the bolts in on the other side , thios can be tough to do

Runner

you know it just dawned on me that the 2 holes on both sides at the center are probable the gap thats around the hear crossover in the head..... its suposed to be like that!