News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hard starting

Started by 'CUDA360, December 05, 2005, 10:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'CUDA360

Trying to start the '74 Charger. It turns over OK 5 or 10 revolutions if you jump the relay but then it acts like the battery is run down. Using the keyswitch just makes a clicking sound.

The battery, starter, relay and ballast resistor check out OK but the thing gives up after a couple of trys and then I have to wait several hours before it will turn over again.

Any ideas ?

Chryco Psycho

start checking the ground connections & the battery cables

Spartan

I would start with the battery cables first.   When the weather started getting cold, the terminal connections would get bad and do the same thing (combination of crap build up and shrinking with the cold weather).   Every fall I used to take them   off and run some steel wool or sand paper thru the holes and posts get a good connection and use some vasoline to protect them them from corrosion.   After that I never had any problems.   It acted as the battery was dead, just like yours sounds.  Like Chryco said, the grounds could be trouble too.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 06, 2005, 02:26:45 AM
start checking the ground connections & the battery cables

:iagree:    or the starter. How did you test the starter? If you tested it without a load, that doesnt mean its ok.

'CUDA360

I had the guy at Checker check it and his computer said it was OK    :-\

monty76

What size battery are you running?

'CUDA360