News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500's with Vinyl Tops.

Started by PocketThunder, December 06, 2005, 05:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Can we keep one thread where there isn't any arguments? Please, just one aero threard without it?

nascarxx29

The R4 red hemi 4 speed .But original equppped j9B2243** automatic 69 charger 500 with the black vinyl top.Formerly owned by P Haldiman of CA .And 69 500s dad.Is a Mike V a friend of my friends car in my area.Hes suppose to give it to this son .When he becomes of driving age
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Which just happens to be 3 digits off of the 500 I currently own too.

I was trying to get as close to my dad's 500 as possible.

One of these days I'll buy one of his old cars back, one of these days.

Highbanked Hauler

69 500, if you had a choice which one of his cars would it be?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

Not a bad question for the rest either.  Not for his dad's cars of course, but those of you who have a 500, is there a different one that you lust after?
If I could have my pick of the litter it would be the red that RM will auctioning off.  That article in Hot Rod with that car is what made me want a 500 in the first place (should've bought in when they were affordable ;)).

69_500

Of the 500's that my dad used to own its a toss up. Yeah the HEMI 500 with the vinyl roof would be an excellent car to have. However I lean more towards the Q5 Charger 500 he had. Due to the fact that it isn't numbers matching, and you could just drive it and enjoy it, plus the Q5 color definately stands out. However now the HEMI 500 that he had, has the correct engine last I knew, but the wrong transmission. That car was a factory AT on the column, and had since been converted to a 4 speed console car before the mid 70's. So that car was another one you could just go out and drive and enjoy, however when my dad had it, it was still a gorgeous car. Probably the cleanest car he ever had.

If I had to pick just one car of his to purchase back, I don't know which one it would be. But I do know where both of the 500's are today, and I also know where one of the Daytona's is. The one I know the whereabouts to is R4 with red interior, AT on the column, rear defroster, white tail stripe car. However I have always wanted a 4 speed car, so of my dads cars that narrows it down to the 3 of the other Daytona's, or the 1 440-6 Superbird he had, or one of the non aero cars.

So if I had to pick, it would be the B5 blue, blue interior, 4 speed, 440 Daytona. I have no clue where that car is today. would love to find it. Second in line would be the HEMI 500 just because its a HEMI and its now a 4 speed too. Third of his cars would be the Q5 500. The one I have the most realistic chance of getting is probably the Q5 car. I still talk to the owner of that car quite often. Have thought of trading him my 500 now, which is numbers matchign with a build sheet for the Q5 car.

If I had any other C500's or Daytona's to choose from and money wasn't an object of course I'd say a HEMI 4 speed car. But realistically, I'm gunning for a HEMI 500 that is an AT currently, project car, and always on the look out for a 4 speed Daytona project.

hemigeno

I came across this snippet from MoparCollector'sGuide while reading up on the '70 Daytona controversy.  It shows what is described as a dealer-installed vinyl top, and it looks VERY similar to the fastback vinyl top pictures on this thread.  Seems to confirm the theory that Creative didn't do the tops, they were probably aftermarket or dealer add-on items.

nascarxx29

I can see where the vinyl roof material at that time being accessible.But was the source of the rear mouldings.Was it borrowed and used from another chrysler product and adapted . For this use on the 69 500. Or was there a limited suppy of this top trim material made for exclusively the 69 500 only.In either case is there any known part numbers on that trim.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

I believe that Pocket has the trim from his car, hopefully he will let us know if there is a part numer on it or not. I know my dad never took the vinyl trim off of either of his cars that had it, so couldn't tell ya if there was a part number on those or not.

Highbanked Hauler

I think you will find that the moldings are a soft aluminum and came in a roll and were cut to fit.I was working in a dealership in the late 60s and I have seen the local auto trim shop come in and do 5-10 new and used cars at a time.They could do a car in 20 minutes.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

I have heard that before about cars with vinyl tops too Al. That is what was done to the Q5 Charger 500 my dad had. Had talked to the origional owner and he is the one who requested they put a vinyl top on the car for him to buy it. So they had one put on. So that one I know wasn't done at Creative.

Highbanked Hauler

You would be surprised at what got done at the dealership with new cars.I have put in radios,changed radios changed tires(off another car in the lot).Installing body side moldings(factory) was a big thing.Optional outside mirrors,aftermarket AC,a few,You would be surprised at the prostitution that went on at some dealers.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

I've seen dealerships here that still do somethings like that. Where if someone wants a car but with different rims, they will just swap them off of another car on the lot to get the sale, without having to wait. Had a dealership offer to cut in a sunroof on a truck for me instead of ordering me one with it already from the factory.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69_500 on January 26, 2006, 10:21:52 AM
I believe that Pocket has the trim from his car, hopefully he will let us know if there is a part numer on it or not. I know my dad never took the vinyl trim off of either of his cars that had it, so couldn't tell ya if there was a part number on those or not.

Sure do, i'll check when i get home tonight...  I'm 99% sure its just a roll of trim that was form fit to the car though.  I'll even take pictures of it..  If i'm not too hammered from my spouses holiday party that we have tonight..  :cheers:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."