News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood mounted turn signal bulbs and sockets

Started by redfourjohnd, February 13, 2010, 01:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfourjohnd

I checked my signal fixtures and they are in good shape, just need a little cleaning. I need lenses and new bulb sockets. I know the lenses are available, and seem to be cheapest at Charger Specialties.

Are the sockets and bulbs commonly available?

Thanks,

John D
First car: 1969 Charger R/T 440 4 barrel 3.91 rear- sold it like a dummy.

Current Mopars:

1968 Charger Slant Six A833 OD
1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 170 2 door post
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Valiant 225 Signet junker car-but it has a brand new rebuilt 225 in it :-))
1962 Lancer parts car

twodko

Hey John,

I know you can buy the lens and those tiny lens gaskets from several sources but the bulb sockets I've only seen as part of a complete hood turn signal set. Its pricey too......over $200. good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

redfourjohnd

Thanks Tom.

I'm wondering if I've got the right bulbs and sockets. The bulb is labeled 1893 I think, it's hard to read. I saw links to a 330 bulb in other threads and it looks like it has a different base. The wiring appears original though, and the Charger Specialties site shows a bulb that looks like what I have.

Current Mopars:

1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Valiant 225 Signet junker car-but it has a brand new rebuilt 225 in it :-))
1962 Lancer parts car

maxwellwedge

I don't have any of my shop or owners manuals to tell you what's proper with me but the one in your pic looks like an 1895.

Ghoste

bakerhillpins

What is wrong with the sockets? Is there a tab broken or the spring toast?

The bulb seems to be the same size as common 47/44 bulbs used in pinball machines which means you could get replacement bayonet sockets from a pinball parts distributor. Heck, I have several versions of those sockets in my parts bins. I could send you a few to try out for nothing. They would have tabs that you would have to solder wires to though.

A quick search for the bulb number with "pinball" in the google search string pops up 10 for 3 bucks
http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=585

Bryan

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ghoste on February 13, 2010, 07:42:23 PM
Isn't an 1816 what the fsm calls for?

I don't have my books in the house but if you looked it up it probably is. NAPA has them - part# LMP 1816

Ghoste

Looked it up now and it is (those 4 digits occur in a relatives phone number so it's stuck with me).

redfourjohnd

Thanks guys.

One socket is dirty but complete. The other is broken and missing a spring. I bought a bunch of bulbs a while ago, some of each of the ones listed in the FSM. Except for the 1816 which is listed for the radio in my 68 manual. I don't have the factory radio. It looks like it would fit, it has the same base and looks like the same length. I wonder if the 68 manual is wrong or misprinted on some things since the Charger was new for that year. Ghoste, were you looking in a 69 FSM?

My manual shows the 330 bulb for the Dart and Coronet fender mounted signal and shows a double asterisk (**) for the Charger, which shows at the bottom of the chart as being hood mounted. They don't say if it takes a different bulb or not. the Charger specialties page shows what looks like a 330 for the 70 hood signals.

I have 1895 bulbs, they are for the side markers, and also are a longer life version of the 57s that go in the cluster sockets(2000 hours vs 500 hours). They have the same base, but have a globe shaped glass and don't fit in the signal housings. I put these in my cluster so I won't have to change them so soon.

I put on a pic of the chart from the FSM.

Thanks,

John D

Current Mopars:

1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Lancer parts car

Ghoste

redfourjohnd

Thanks Ghoste. I think I'm going to go to Napa tomorrow and see if they've got the sockets. I'll also call Charger Specialties and see if they'll give me a deal on the wires and sockets without the housings. I'll be getting the lenses from them most likely anyway.

John D

Current Mopars:

1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Lancer parts car

redfourjohnd

Well, no go on anything at Napa or autozone. I called Charger Specialties and they told me that they do not list just the wires anynore because the stock size sockets are no longer available.

They said the chances of finding exact matches are slim to none. At least as of four years ago. They had to modify their tooling for the housings to take the smaller diameter sockets that are available now. He did sell me some new wires and sockets, saying that I just have to shim them a little to get them in there tight enough. I bought lenses too, and he threw in a set of gaskets. Says the gaskets don't really work anyway.

The bulbs they use are 1891s, same as the glove compartment light. He didn't know off the top of his head what the originals were.

Current Mopars:

1976 Ramcharger 400 4WD
1962 Valiant 225 Signet
1962 Lancer parts car

twodko

Hey John,

If I can get my feeble brain to remember I'll look at the spare bulb package I have in my shop and let you know what bulb number it is. Sorry to hear there are no sources for the sockets. Tom, at R/T Specialties is a great guy and if he doesn't know a source for them they're probably not available unless they are in an entire kit.
Mine were corroded and one spring was toast. I was able to clean the sockets up nicely and bought several small springs at the hardware store. I found one spring that worked but it was a little too long so I snipped off one curl and it works fine.

Tom

mpdlawdog

not sure if you found a solution to your problem...I was i the same boat...I could no get the bulb and socket out of mine so I drilled it out.  I located a set of led lights and used them....if you want pics I can send them to you...
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

twodko

Also.........muy importante! In your favorite auto parts store in the bulb section you'll find little packets of dielectric grease. Its usually free so grab a couple. Apply a thin coat of this stuff around the bulb base, around exterior of the bulb socket, and interior of the housing. This will keep the parts from corroding again and make the bulb socket easy to pull out if you need to replace a bulb. Pardon me for not passing this on to you before. I done forgot.  :shruggy:

mopar0166

any updates on the sockets ?  im not buying a whole new set