News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

question to ponder, V88 C500's and Daytona's

Started by hemi68charger, December 07, 2005, 11:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

I was thinking..
We all know that C500's and Daytona's started life as R/T Chargers and ALL had the V88 option.. But, there HAD to be some predetermined cars that were destined to be converted, not just a case where they grabbed some off the line and sent them to Creative Industries... My point is, the C500's and Daytona's don't have the holes drilled for emblems on the rear quarters where the standard R/T's had them..... That's another way to tell a C500 / Daytona from a regular V88 R/T.... 

OK, sorry for the mind-melt and useless banter...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

BigBlockSam

i've seen a daytona with r/t emblems. they said it came that way from the factory.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Were the chargers that were used for the conversions built to completion on the line? If so, then creative would have had to remove all of the front clip as well as the rear glass and moldings. Seems like a lot of work to put the car completely together only to take it back apart later.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 07, 2005, 12:47:00 PM
Were the chargers that were used for the conversions built to completion on the line? If so, then creative would have had to remove all of the front clip as well as the rear glass and moldings. Seems like a lot of work to put the car completely together only to take it back apart later.

In regards to the C500's, I'm sure they didn't have to remove the front clip. From the removal of my grille on my C500, it seems all modifications could have been done without the front clip removed. That's a totally different story on the Daytonas... Basically, the Daytonas got what we would envision as a modified '70 Charger front end..... Now, for both models, the rear window area and trunk lid did have to be modified and subsequently, repainted, but just around the window plug and trunk lid.  I have seen a survivor Daytona that had overspray along the window seal channel on the driver's rear window. There's a famous picture on the Winged Warriors webpage of '69 Chargers in the lot with primered rear windows. Because there was welding going on back there, everything in the rear interior of the car was removed and hence, that's why almost all Daytonas and C500's have misplaced or missing Broadcast sheets....... The wind deflectors were added after the vertical drip rail moulding had been removed. Also, the complete side window seal channel had to be removed for the three attach screws for the deflectors are under this channel.. This is one of the reasons I'd bet Plymouth screwed the deflectors on the Superbird directly through the deflector into the window a-pillar... It would take way too much time to remove that channel to install the deflector.....

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 07, 2005, 12:18:25 PM
i've seen a daytona with r/t emblems. they said it came that way from the factory.

You talking about the rear taillamp panel were there's one "R/T" emblem? Or are you talking about the two side ones on the rear quarters? If this Daytona had the stripe, I can't imagine the emblems remaining for it's something that's not easily missed.... Now, the rear taillamp panel "R/T" emblem, I could see that.... Maybe someone just didn't swap out the "R/T" script for the regular" Charger" script.
Troy

69_500

There is a Bronze Daytona in the Chrysler museum that has the R/T emblem on the Tail Panel. However I haven't ever seen a 500 or a Daytona with the R/T emblems on the side. Now however I do know that some of the early cars did have the R/T holes in their quarter panels. I have seen some of the very early cars that are unrestored, and looked from the inside of the trunk and you can see filler where the R/T emblems were. However the latest car I have ever seen the repair holes in was very early on in productions. Somewhere around cars Vin's beinging with 132 or so.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I think with all these C500 & Daytona tech findings, Troy should open up a C500 & Daytona Lounge!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

I always wondered why the R/T tailpanel emblem was replaced on the Daytona. At the time was the Daytona supposed to be a whole different model or an R/T with the Daytona option? Although, with the wing back there I doubt the R/T emblem was needed to expose anything "special".   :)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BigBlockSam

Quotethe rear taillamp panel were there's one "R/T" emblem

only on the rear panel
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

69_500

If there was a 500/Daytona area, would there really be much talking going on? Only a few of us would chat.

And there is very nice winged car forum already on the Net.

BigBlockSam

Quotethere is very nice winged car forum already on the Net. 
:iagree:

hemi68charger

Quote from: 694spdRT on December 07, 2005, 03:55:05 PM
I always wondered why the R/T tailpanel emblem was replaced on the Daytona. At the time was the Daytona supposed to be a whole different model or an R/T with the Daytona option? Although, with the wing back there I doubt the R/T emblem was needed to expose anything "special".  :)

Yeap,, Bingo...........
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on December 07, 2005, 04:09:25 PM
And there is very nice winged car forum already on the Net.

And that would be where? Maybe I know it and don't even know it... Are you talking about the moparstyle site?

Troy
Troy

BigBlockSam

yea thats the one. i kinda remember you stopping by there

Paul 500

I've seen a few 500's with no bit for where the trunk light goes. I know creative cut the original out & wealded it on to the window plug, did they do this on all the 500's + Daytona's  or was this only if ordered with a trunk light or light package.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

hemi68charger

Quote from: uk_69_500 on December 07, 2005, 08:36:41 PM
I've seen a few 500's with no bit for where the trunk light goes. I know creative cut the original out & wealded it on to the window plug, did they do this on all the 500's + Daytona's  or was this only if ordered with a trunk light or light package.

My C500 didn't come with the A01 light package, so it didn't get the light and the switch. Here's a pic of mine. You can plainly see that the bracket for the switch is still in it's original position....

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Another area, and it's the area of the main question, is my quarter area.. The quarter is original and there's no evidence of past holes. The holes would be pretty much directly over the side marker reflector.....

Troy

Troy

BigBlockSam

2fast4u

I remember seeing in the book "Charger   As only Dodge could build it" photos of emblem placement.  which most of these were taken from parts catalogs.  But the R/T emblem that was shown on the 69 Charger on the side wasn't above the rear side reflector.....it was moved forward from there.....not quite centered front to back.

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

wingcars6970

I think I seen a daytona or 2 wearing a RT trunk badge .Inplace of the usually srcipt back there.It might have been on the archive pictures of creative industries .Pictures supplied by Greg K who found the 70 daytona picture at the chrysler .Building where he works .He also owns the 88 research daytona .And original test wing

wingcars6970

hemi68charger

Quote from: 2fast4u on December 08, 2005, 12:52:38 AM
     I remember seeing in the book "Charger   As only Dodge could build it" photos of emblem placement.  which most of these were taken from parts catalogs.  But the R/T emblem that was shown on the 69 Charger on the side wasn't above the rear side reflector.....it was moved forward from there.....not quite centered front to back.

2fast

That might be.... The emblem should be in the same area as the cutout in the stripe. With that being said, then from the picture, you would clearly see the area where the holes would be.......  centered relative to what?

Troy
Troy

PocketThunder

Quote from: wingcars6970 on December 08, 2005, 01:32:36 AM
You might see a daytona wearing a RT badge on this site

http://aerowarriors.com/afct.html

Did all Daytonas leave CI with hood pins?  It looks like they all have them in the pictures on the site you metioned.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 08, 2005, 09:07:42 AM
Quote from: wingcars6970 on December 08, 2005, 01:32:36 AM
You might see a daytona wearing a RT badge on this site

http://aerowarriors.com/afct.html

Did all Daytonas leave CI with hood pins?  It looks like they all have them in the pictures on the site you metioned.

Hey Paul,
Yes, all Daytonas had hood pins for that's how the hood was secure. They didn't have a latch, believe it not.....  All they had were the hood pins and the safety latch/hook.....

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Here's a pic of a '69 V88 Charger R/T. Note position of emblem...

Troy