News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

question to ponder, V88 C500's and Daytona's

Started by hemi68charger, December 07, 2005, 11:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

And then there's the position of the V8* cars.....

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

My 500 is the same as Troys, in that it doesn't have the A01 light package so the origional location is still there, but there is no mount for one in the new trunk opening.

hemi68charger

Another thing to ponder.. The rear "R/T" emblem that the car came with with it was born. Now, people speak of the "holes" weren't drilled for the R/T emblem on the taillamp panel.. Has anyone ever looked to see if the spacing on the holes were the same between a "R/T" and "Charger" script? I'd be surprised if they were different. Why would there be two different panels when all you had to do was take the R/T emblem out and replace it with the "Charger" script emblem? I need to measure my spacing and then find that of the R/T and see if they are the same....

As we all know, the C500 and Daytona was suppose to get the "Charger" script, not the "R/T". I bet those Daytonas with the "R/T" emblem was a case where the technican working on the car just forgot to change it out before leaving Creative Industries
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69_500

I think that the tailpanel emblems have the same holes in the same places, whether its an R/T emblem or a Charger Emblem. But yeah I think it was just a mix up at the time. Something people wouldn't bat an eye at back then, but do now.

WINGMAN

my c 500 had the rt emblems on, there is bondo inside the trunk where they pached up the holes. my daytona did not ever have emblems on it.both cars are unrestored.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

hemigeno

I've tried twice to reply to this thread now, and the server isn't in a good mood at the moment.  :flame:   I can't upload a document I have that gives the instructions for a Daytona to the Hamtramck plant right now.  It will shed a lot of light on the subject...

hemigeno

Ok, let me try again...

The Daytonas were intended to be made as V88 R/T's, with no R/T ornamentation.   No grille or headlamp doors, but pretty much everything else that an R/T's base option group would have except the badging.

If Hamtramck's body repair guys didn't catch that the R/T badging was on a car and fix it there, then Creative could easily have bondo'd up the holes on the quarterpanel and painted them up with body color while doing the window plug modifications.   However...   If the tailpanel emblem were there, they would have left that alone since they didn't paint anything else with Organosol (yes, that's what I think the Charger tailpanels were painted with at Hamtramck   :icon_smile_big: ).   In that event, they would have left the tailpanel R/T badging.

They would have HAD to removed any quarter emblems to do the tape stripe, so fill 'em in and spritz them while they're going.   It wasn't supposed to be part of Creative's responsibilities to do anything with the emblems, and the vast majority of cars didn't leave Hamtramck with them in place.

Troy's right, all Daytona's had the hood pins - but they were a Creative-installed option.   The '69 style hood pins are much closer to the center of the hood than a Daytona, and they were never coded on the fender tag or build sheet since Hamtramck didn't install them.   Daytona's didn't have a hood spring either, meaning that you have to shove your fingers between the gasket/seal and the hood, and lift up to open the hood.   A little lack of planning they fixed with the Superbird.

*edit*  No luck on posting the file this time either...

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGMAN on December 08, 2005, 01:15:31 PM
my c 500 had the rt emblems on, there is bondo inside the trunk where they pached up the holes. my daytona did not ever have emblems on it.both cars are unrestored.

Hey there Wingman !!!!  OK,, dude... We, I, want pics !!!!!   :icon_smile_big:

I think since my C500 was a later one, those issues were resolved.. Maybe not.......

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Hey Geno,,,,

You have that file? Maybe I can have some luck with it.... I wish there was a way to find some of the documentation on the C500's... There seems to be a supply of Daytona instruction...........

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

Just sent you an email with an attachment.

I'll try again in a sec

69_500

Great information.

and welcome there Wingman. And please post up some pics of your cars.

I'm assuming that your 500 is a pretty early build date car then?

Troy

Quote from: hemigeno on December 08, 2005, 02:04:51 PM
I've tried twice to reply to this thread now, and the server isn't in a good mood at the moment. :flame: I can't upload a document I have that gives the instructions for a Daytona to the Hamtramck plant right now. It will shed a lot of light on the subject...

You (and all regular members) can only upload image files so if that's a Word or PDF document you're out of luck. You can send it to my address though and I can manually put it up on the server.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemigeno

Quote from: Troy on December 08, 2005, 02:50:47 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on December 08, 2005, 02:04:51 PM
I've tried twice to reply to this thread now, and the server isn't in a good mood at the moment. :flame: I can't upload a document I have that gives the instructions for a Daytona to the Hamtramck plant right now. It will shed a lot of light on the subject...

You (and all regular members) can only upload image files so if that's a Word or PDF document you're out of luck. You can send it to my address though and I can manually put it up on the server.

Troy

Unfortunately, it's a .jpg file...  I scanned the document, and tried to post it.  Done it lots of times, just isn't working at the moment.

hemigeno

Ok, trying again... (thanks for all your efforts on this site, Troy!!!)

69_500

Thanks for posting that Gene. I wish there was paperwork like this for the 500's.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on December 08, 2005, 04:39:53 PM
Thanks for posting that Gene. I wish there was paperwork like this for the 500's.

Well, someone may still have it - who knows?

Did you notice up in the top right hand corner, they give the range of SpecialOrder numbers that would be used?  That corresponds to the range of numbers I have in my system, incidentally...  nothing higher, nothing lower.

hemi68charger

Man,, I love it !!!!  Thanks Geno and Troy..... I loved reading it.......  Brings to light alot of things and yes, I noticed the order range.....  See, no vinyl top and a/c.. Guess the C500's got in trouble with those items since there are a few C500 SE's out there with A/C.....  Would love to see a stubby luggage rack...

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

I don't know if there was a similar prohibition against A/C on a C500.  The grille opening size on a 500 is pretty much identical to a regular Charger, so there shouldn't have been any cooling issues related to the aero mod's installed on the car.  I thought I had posted a scan of Bulletin #1 & #4 related to the C500 before, but maybe that was on the old site.  The only prohibited options they list for the 500 is the luggage rack and vinyl roof (no mention of A/C being off-limits).  They also stipulate that if you order tinted glass, the back lite would be clear (same for Daytona's).

Would it help if I scanned in those two bulletins again & posted them?

69_500

I think that you already posted those on this site. It might have been on the old site, but then again it might have been on this one. I think I saved the ones you posted.

hemi68charger

Geno...
Thanks....... I think I'd like that....... I didn't save it......... But, I do remember reading it once and I don't remember anything about A/C....

Troy
Troy

69_500

I haven't ever went through the numbers I have and seen how many A/C Charger 500's there are but I think its quite a few. I think its around 13 or 14. And not all of them are SE 500's. I can think of 3 right off hand that have A/C that aren't SE's, and then there is also 4 I can thin of that are SE's with A/C.

hemigeno

No problem...

I'll gladly post both bulletins tomorrow when I get back here to the office. 

69_500

69_500

Ghoste

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 07, 2005, 12:47:00 PM
Were the chargers that were used for the conversions built to completion on the line?

They would have had to be pretty close to completion as they had the interiors in them when Creative got them.