News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who here went from Charger to Daytona and loves or regrets it?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 23, 2010, 07:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I'm thinking of getting a Daytona in about 4 years, anyone here go from a 2nd gen Charger to a bird or Daytona and regret it or love it even more?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Aero426

WINGMAN

I am 52 and have had lots of mopars over 30+ years, GTXs road runners ect but always loved 69 Chargers even before Dukes of Hazzard. Back in 96 i bought a 69 500 and still have it and in 03 i bought a real Daytona. I just have the two right now and like to have a 69 Charger RT to help round out my collection  O  i need a bird also. Most people dont have DEEP pockets so it takes many years to own the higher end cars  thats what i did. There is nothing like driving a Daytona  now they drive just like most Mopars but you get ten times the looks  it is unreal just unreal. I bet Troy H can testify to that,  So i guess no regrets and i love them all.  :Twocents:   Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

mauve66

prices will only go back up in 4 yrs.............................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Aero426 on February 23, 2010, 08:26:03 PM
How could you possibly regret it?     
I have no idea but to me I'm sure there are cars people owned that they thought was the perfect car but as time went on they found it wasn't really what they thought it would be. I loved  my 72 vette 454 conv, but I sold it because I just wasn't a vette guy. I was born and raised a Muscle car guy and I felt the Charger expressed best who I was. I'm not sure I'm a Nascar kinda guy and that's what I see with the Daytona. I think fast high speed oval track, just curious if someone bought one but after time felt it just wasn't them?  That's all.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: WINGMAN on February 23, 2010, 08:29:25 PM
  I am 52 and have had lots of mopars over 30+ years, GTXs road runners ect but always loved 69 Chargers even before Dukes of Hazzard. Back in 96 i bought a 69 500 and still have it and in 03 i bought a real Daytona. I just have the two right now and like to have a 69 Charger RT to help round out my collection  O  i need a bird also. Most people dont have DEEP pockets so it takes many years to own the higher end cars  thats what i did. There is nothing like driving a Daytona  now they drive just like most Mopars but you get ten times the looks  it is unreal just unreal. I bet Troy H can testify to that,  So i guess no regrets and i love them all.  :Twocents:   Jay.
Well said, thanks.
As for the other comment about prices going back up?  I'm not to sure about that with Daytonas or any classic car. I worry about the hobby slowing down as we age from those era's. Time will tell but it's all relative.

Aero426

There are quite a few people who own wing cars that are not necessarily into the whole NASCAR thing.   But they do recognize the history and see it as an ultimate kind of Mopar.

As far as value, with less than 500 cars to go around, there will always be demand.   I don't know if we'll ever see another big price spike up - but I do not see them plummeting either.   We are in a wierd time right now, and as you no doubt know, it's a buyers market.    

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Aero426 on February 23, 2010, 09:35:46 PM
There are quite a few people who own wing cars that are not necessarily into the whole NASCAR thing.   But they do recognize the history and see it as an ultimate kind of Mopar.

As far as value, with less than 500 cars to go around, there will always be demand.   I don't know if we'll ever see another big price spike up - but I do not see them plummeting either.   We are in a wierd time right now, and as you no doubt know, it's a buyers market.    
Great thoughts, thanks. Yeah it's a buyers market and most of us can't buy. Dang, bad timing.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 23, 2010, 10:03:16 PM

Sorry I went to modify and hit the wrong button.  I miss the old "delete" days.
Great thoughts, any more?

A383Wing

We bought a '70 Charger and transformed it into purple car below....it's what "she" wanted 

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGMAN on February 23, 2010, 08:29:25 PM
  ...I bet Troy H can testify to that,  So i guess no regrets and i love them all.  :Twocents:   Jay.

Regrets?....... Well, I've owned everything from a 318 '69 Charger, '70 six pack Charger R/T (1st one) & '69 Charger 500 4-speed.. None, I repeat none, give or get the attention that my current Daytona has. Do I regret it, nope.... I've given up both the '69 4-speed C500 and a top-notch '68 Hemi Charger R/T (albeit, I never drove the car). I'd do it again. So, hopefully, like Jay, I'll have two Aeros to choose from.....  Pretty good considering I started off with a '73 Charger SE when I was 15, I'm 45 now........... Some don't like the attention or are fearful of something happening to their wing cars. Now, if you're timid about driving something like that, a wing car's not for the faint-of-heart... You'll be paranoid every time you drive........ Orrr, you could be like me and head out to Home Depot with it to pick up some supplies...  :icon_smile_big:

So.. Regrets?......... Naaaaaaaa  

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

pettybird

the only person I know who didn't like a wing car after buying one is Ric Lafollette in IN.  he had a 70 GTX, bought a bird, and sold it a couple months later to buy another GTX. 

Honestly...I don't know of anyone else who went from a B body into a wing who didn't prefer it. 

Arnie Cunningham

Winged cars are more of an obsession than most vehicles.  If you can remember when you first saw one, what was your reaction?  Did you stand in awe with your mouth open?  Did that experience leave an indelible memory that plays in your head like a video?  If so, you really should own one.  I own the first Superbird I ever saw (just coincidence).  The car possessed me.  Personally, I think the 70 GTX is a much better and tougher looking car but the winged cars are something all by themselves.  If you get one, choose one with a documented history.  That is what will really matter years down the road.

Also, consider the thought of driving a six digit car.  I have no reservations about driving my car or worries about it being damaged.  I have owned it long enough that I retain a different perspective on it.  If you worry every time you drive a car it will be no fun at all.  We all know people who have restored a vehicle to a point where they are afraid to drive it.  A similar mindset can take over when you are dealing with a car that costs as much as some people's houses.  Take someone else's real wing car for a drive and see how it feels.  If you live near Fargo, ND I can hook you up.

If you like talking to people, a winged car will bring them to you.  Everywhere you go, the car will draw attention.

The mechanics of driving the car are identical to other B bodies other than the fact that 3 feet of car exists beyond the furthest point you can see - the hood pins.  Park carefully.

Hope that helps,
Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

1969chargerrtse

:cheers: Thanks everyone.  Yeah, 70 GTX is one mean car for sure. That is my exact point.  I also love owning a mean looking car, and wonder about the change to the Wing-nd car look. Most of my friends love the Charger over the Daytona. I'm the guy that stood there in the road with my mouth open ( it was a white SuperBird ). But in 69 I was at the Dodge dealer drooling over the R/T cars, so I'm all confused. I hate to do this, but what are the thoughts on clones? Any clone owners out there. Let's face it, original cars are not cheap.  A well done clone like the way Brian's car will be would also be exciting to own. What I wonder about is, any clone owners of anything, the same question. Any regrets? When someone walks up and says oh that's a clone, does it bother you in any manner? Being at a show, cruise? This question goes for any type, Hemi Cuda clone etc...  

I also do the Home Depot runs with my Charger.  I love to see these cars out there.  3 years on this site and I yet to pass another Charger on the road.

"The mechanics of driving the car are identical to other B bodies other than the fact that 3 feet of car exists beyond the furthest point you can see - the hood pins. Park carefully"
My 72 vette was like that, I would tap things in the garage now and then. My buddy said the trick was to pop up the head lamps to see where the nose was. Do you see the wing in your mirror?

FJ5WING

as mentioned, once behind the wheel its no different than your Charger, :coolgleamA: but get out and give it that quick glance while you walk away and it feels great!!! :icon_smile_wink:
wingless now, but still around.

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJ5WING on February 24, 2010, 09:13:17 AM
as mentioned, once behind the wheel its no different than your Charger, :coolgleamA: but get out and give it that quick glance while you walk away and it feels great!!! :icon_smile_wink:

I find myself doing that ALL the time.........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

wingcar

Funny, but I actually got "tried" of my wingcar (the first wingcar I ever saw in person I should ad) back in the day and wanted something different.  But, before anyone asks how a person could ever get tried of driving one of the biggest attention getting car to ever hit the streets....let me qualify my statement by saying that I always intended to buy another as they were fairly inexpensive back in the day.  So it was no big deal.  The problem was, I kept putting off buying another due to life getting in the way, and before I knew it, the prices were no longer "used car prices".
That is why I have a clone today, that and the fact that I want to drive it like I did my first "original" (426 4-speed Superbird) wingcar.   My wife stills asks "why did you sell it"...when she sees the prices they bring today....problem is, back in the day, they didn't bring those huge prices...they were just Road Runners with a funny nose and a large rear spoiler.  I purchased my first wingcar because I was into NASCAR, but more importantly I was also a pilot, so I liked the aero aspect (I could fly without even leaving the ground).
I think you will find that most original owners would love to have their "wings" back.  But sometimes life has other ideas......For me, once a wingcar owner, always a wingcar owner (clone or otherwise).   
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 24, 2010, 06:18:57 AM
My buddy said the trick was to pop up the head lamps to see where the nose was. Do you see the wing in your mirror?

You can't see the headlight doors even when they are open, at least I couldn't in my SuperBird and can't in my Daytona.

As for seeing the wing in the mirror - not the rearview, but the door mirror you can - check out my avatar pic...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Aero426

With all due repect to the ladies, going from a wing car back to a standard B-body is like saying you'd rather have two inches less in your pants.   :smilielol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on February 24, 2010, 11:47:23 AM
You can't see the headlight doors even when they are open, at least I couldn't in my SuperBird and can't in my Daytona.

Try sitting on a phone book.........    :icon_smile_big:

Sorry Dave,,, couldn't resist..........
Troy

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 24, 2010, 06:18:57 AM
My buddy said the trick was to pop up the head lamps to see where the nose was. Do you see the wing in your mirror?

As for seeing the wing in the mirror - not the rearview, but the door mirror you can - check out my avatar pic...
Cool. Yeah I've seen that avatar. My closest buddy told me today he had a chance to buy one for 500.00 back during the gas crises. He said he passed on it because it's just the ugliest car made and he couldn't do it. He also told me if I get one, don't send him any pictures. Ha ha. It really is a love / hate thing. I love em, but I am afraid to make the move. I would friend up with someone who has one and know for sure before I part with my dream car.

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 24, 2010, 12:03:13 PM

Try sitting on a phone book.........    :icon_smile_big:

Sorry Dave,,, couldn't resist..........
:shruggy: :shruggy:  I can see my whole wing find   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Davtona

Quote from: Aero426 on February 24, 2010, 11:52:11 AM
With all due repect to the ladies, going from a wing car back to a standard B-body is like saying you'd rather have two inches less in your pants.   :smilielol:

:smilielol: Good one. Its an awesome feeling driving a wing car. They sure attract attention. I remember cruising the local strip back in the day. I was cruising and seemed like everyone else was chasing me so they could see it. You know you're in something special when you look out over the hood and see those fender pods. I always thought cars in the rear view mirror looked closer as they pulled up behind you at a stoplight in a Daytona than in a regular Charger. Like they were right on your back bumper when in reality they weren't. Anyone else get that impression?

41husk

I guess I have but can't tell you how I like it.  I sold my 68 to buy a Daytona clone.  the 68 is still in the garage and I have not yet picked up the Daytona.  I hope I can let you know real soon.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 41husk on February 24, 2010, 02:26:08 PM
I guess I have but can't tell you how I like it.  I sold my 68 to buy a Daytona clone.  the 68 is still in the garage and I have not yet picked up the Daytona.  I hope I can let you know real soon.
Mind if Ask what you paid for the clone and what condition it's in?  Write back when you have the clone.

41husk

Lets just say it cost more than I got from the sale of my 68.  It will be a turn key car when I pick it up from Hotrod98 as soon as he finishes her.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

70Sbird

Quote from: Aero426 on February 24, 2010, 11:52:11 AM
With all due respect to the ladies, going from a wing car back to a standard B-body is like saying you'd rather have two inches less in your pants.   :smilielol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Doug,
That is the best (or worst) single line analogy for Wing Car ownership over another car!

To the OP, I love driving my Superbird to work, to Home Depot etc, or just cruising around on a nice evening. Everyone stops and stares. The attention can be both good and bad. I have met some great people and made new friends while out in the car. As anyone with a wingcar, clone or not, will confirm there is no way that you will ever stop for gas, pay and leave in under 15 minutes because of the "Gawkers" as my wife call them telling you about some relative that had one of these back in the day, or what they think your car is worth.
Overall I love the whole experience of wingcar ownership! and wouldn't go back to another car. I do however have a 72 Corvette and a 71 Demon that I wouldn't give up either, but the Superbird is a different experience entirely

Scott Faulkner

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 41husk on February 24, 2010, 04:04:28 PM
Lets just say it cost more than I got from the sale of my 68.  It will be a turn key car when I pick it up from Hotrod98 as soon as he finishes her.
Is that that beautiful black one I've seen on the site with the front end off?

Mike DC

If someone says to me "Picture a badass '69 Charger", what comes to my mind is a mostly stock street machine like many of us own.  

But if someone says "Picture a badass Charger Daytona", then I think of a full-blown Grand National stocker from 1970.    

That sums up how I feel about Daytonas.  I'd love a Daytona racecar.  Even just a replica of one, or a very NASCAR-looking street cruiser with the rollcage & big wheels & lowered stance.  But with all due respect I think I'll leave the matching-numbers stock production versions to someone else.  

hemi68charger

Ahhhh, you're the gent Larry was referring to on this project when he came over my house to pick up those '68 grilles.......

Troy
Troy

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 24, 2010, 04:54:12 PM

Yes.  I was trying to beat Alan to it but he put a deposit down & blew me out of the water.  ;)  I think I wanted it for the fact it was a triple black R/T SE just as much.  $35k was/is a very good price.

472 R/T SE

My first experience with a wingcar was enlightening.  My buddy bought Dane's second to latest creation & give me the car & $15k for my all blue 4 gear '70 Charger R/T 3 days later.

I sold the Daytona about 3-4 months later.  At the time I couldn't handle the overwhelming attention it got.

Reason I feel I can handle one now is cause I feel having personal protection will raise the confidence level.  Would I still like to have one?  I feel Larry's car was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  A quality car build @ an affordable price.  So, having his 'cuda was second best & I'm content.  Again, it's a quality car built @ an affordable price.

Lotsa folks may have different opinions of why I did what I did.  When you start pushing yourself around in a wheel chair, get back to me on that.  ;)

41husk

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on February 24, 2010, 04:54:12 PM
Thats it! the front end is being assembled this week :cheers:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 24, 2010, 05:52:14 PM
My first experience with a wingcar was enlightening.  My buddy bought Dane's second to latest creation & give me the car & $15k for my all blue 4 gear '70 Charger R/T 3 days later.

I sold the Daytona about 3-4 months later.  At the time I couldn't handle the overwhelming attention it got.

Reason I feel I can handle one now is cause I feel having personal protection will raise the confidence level.  Would I still like to have one?  I feel Larry's car was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  A quality car build @ an affordable price.  So, having his 'cuda was second best & I'm content.  Again, it's a quality car built @ an affordable price.

Lotsa folks may have different opinions of why I did what I did.  When you start pushing yourself around in a wheel chair, get back to me on that.  ;)

I am glad to see you are still happy with that buetiful Cuda, but I can't say I am sorry I beat you to the Daytona.  You were a big help hooking me up with George on the sale of my 68 and I truly appreciate that.  I still would have bought Larry's car but I would have been put in  :cheers:a tight financial spot.  I am sure I will be happy with the Daytona, you are happy with the Cuda, Larry is happy with the Super bird, and I think George will be happy with the 68.  So things have some how worked out for everybody.  I look foreward to meeting you in person one of these days.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

69_500

I would chime in but I have yet to make the leap to a Daytona. But I can tell you that I'd gladly trade my C500 and a wad of cash to actually move up to a Daytona. Heck ask anyone I wouldn't even care if the car ran or not I'd take it.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on February 25, 2010, 07:39:30 PM
I would chime in but I have yet to make the leap to a Daytona. But I can tell you that I'd gladly trade my C500 and a wad of cash to actually move up to a Daytona. Heck ask anyone I wouldn't even care if the car ran or not I'd take it.
Would you ever consider a clone, or is that out for you?

WINGMAN

Im going to will my Daytona to Danny, He just needs to wait for a while  :icon_smile_big:  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69_500 on February 25, 2010, 07:39:30 PM

He's lying folks....Not once have we ever heard him say or seen him write that he wants a Daytona!  :eyes:     :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGMAN on February 25, 2010, 10:15:56 PM
  Im going to will my Daytona to Danny, He just needs to wait for a while  :icon_smile_big:  Jay.
wait a minute , I thought it was already mine   :shruggy: :shruggy:

xs29j8Bullitt

I would never let a wingcar nut know that they were in my will... they might  get impatient!   :icon_smile_big:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hemi68charger

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 26, 2010, 12:44:03 PM

I would never let a wingcar nut know that they were in my will... they might  get impatient!   :icon_smile_big:

:smilielol:   Good one Allen............
Troy

moparstuart

Im going to will my Daytona to Danny, He just needs to wait for a while  :icon_smile_big:  Jay.

I would never let a wingcar nut know that they were in my will... they might  get impatient!   :icon_smile_big:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: has the adoption papers gone through yet  :shruggy: :smash:  :icon_smile_big:

69_500

I might consider a clone, but even if I had a clone I'd still want a real Daytona though.

In your will huh Jay? I'll gladly take care of your Daytona in 30 years from now. I may want one badly but I have been patiently waiting for 15 years already what is another 30 right?

pettybird

mom jokes that this is the case with me!

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on February 28, 2010, 11:45:14 AM

mom jokes that this is the case with me!
she lets you drive them and take care of them anyway    :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

SBBob

Went from a 70 Charger R/T V Code to a Superbird.  Even though the Charger had been in a magazine when I went out to the garage I always chose the Bird.  I really enjoy the not seeing myself comming or going.  I must see about 20 Camaros and Stangs everyday, but never another wing car.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

hemi68charger

Quote from: SBBob on June 30, 2010, 11:22:00 PM
Went from a 70 Charger R/T V Code to a Superbird.  Even though the Charger had been in a magazine when I went out to the garage I always chose the Bird.  I really enjoy the not seeing myself comming or going.  I must see about 20 Camaros and Stangs everyday, but never another wing car.

Dang Bob,,,,  Both are sweet............  next to a Daytona and C500, a '70 v-code Charger R/T is my favorite...........
Troy

SBBob

The Charger was a fantastic ride.  It was a stripper car no power steering or brakes, putting it all to the pavement.  The Bird was my dream car and the Charger was fun, but driving the wing thing is awesome.  I really enjoy going to shows and hearing what people say.  One guy was telling his girlfriend that George Barris designed the car.  Yo, SBBob
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: SBBob on June 30, 2010, 11:22:00 PM
I don't think you passed many Purple 70 Chargers either.