News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A Life Filled with Winged Cars... and a few Fords too

Started by Aero426, February 27, 2010, 05:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: Mopar John on April 01, 2010, 08:51:01 PM
Doug,
More great stuff!! Do you know if your dad started numbering the memberships right off the bat?
Monroe #1?
Donna #2?
How many members were "CHARTER MEMBERS"?
I joined early on and am #181! Not a charter member  :'(
How many left ahead of me?

John, there are still 15 active members between #1 and your #181.  I am going to guess that you joined up in 1977.   Yes everything was in sequence.   Dad was #1.   Our neighbors who did all the letterhead artwork and the silkscreen banners that Dave just mentioned are #2 and #3.    I'm #4.   Donna was #5.

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 02, 2010, 07:31:02 AM
Now, the rest of the story..........  :icon_smile_big:  I know you'll probably get to this, but when were the Fords and Charger 500's "allowed" in?......  :icon_smile_big:

Troy

The first time I remember the Fords being involved was the 1977 meet in Michigan.    500 owner involvement was pretty limited until then too.   

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on April 02, 2010, 08:51:53 AM
Doug,
More great stuff!! Do you know if your dad started numbering the memberships right off the bat?
Monroe #1?
Donna #2?

John, there are still 15 active members between #1 and your #181.  I am going to guess that you joined up in 1977.   Yes everything was in sequence.   Dad was #1.   Our neighbors who did all the letterhead artwork and the silkscreen banners that Dave just mentioned are #2 and #3.    I'm #4.   Donna was #5.

so additional hijack--where are we?

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on April 02, 2010, 06:16:20 PM
Doug,
Monroe #1?
Donna #2?

lost if you dont know   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: pettybird on April 02, 2010, 06:16:20 PM
Doug,
Monroe #1?
Donna #2?

You are right behind Mopar John at #188.   He is member #181.

69_500

If I'm not mistaken isn't it listed on the address label on the newsletter each month? Or is that not what the 0289 on my newsletter each month stands for? I don't think my dad joined until April of 1979.

moparstuart

I think that must be correct because i didnt join untill like 97 or so and mine says 2585 ?

hitail

41husk

Im bad, I don't even know what my # is but I joinrd this year :scratchchin:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hotrod98

My DSAC # is 3230.
I don't have a clue what my WWNBOA # is.
Just glad to be a member of both organizations.

The shirts for the national meet in Branson this year had both club logos on the back.  Way cool.

Was this the first time for that?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 14, 2010, 12:07:33 AM
My DSAC # is 3230.
I don't have a clue what my WWNBOA # is.
Just glad to be a member of both organizations.

The shirts for the national meet in Branson this year had both club logos on the back.  Way cool.

no there have been joint meets in the past , just not recently over 10 years for sure .

Aero426

The shirts were very nice.   The last joint national meet prior to this year was the "Milsek meet" in Weirton WV.   I believe that was 1997.   

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on July 14, 2010, 10:29:47 AM

The shirts were very nice.   The last joint national meet prior to this year was the "Milsek meet" in Weirton WV.   I believe that was 1997.   
I personally being a member of both clubs,  am really pleased to be having joint meet again .  I look forward to the meet next year .  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Aero426

Back to the story in the summer of 1975.

After my dad ran the ads looking for people who owned Superbirds and Daytonas, he received this note from Joe Machado who will be known to many of you.  This would be in June or July of 1975.    At the time with no internet, no email, you just bumped into other people who owned cars like these.   Joe is asking if he saw our car at Daytona.  But it wasn't us.  Joe also says he is part of a club called Winged Warriors Limited which was based in southern California at the time.   They were also just getting going, and were an offshoot of a local Road Runner car club. 

Aero426

As a result of the Old Cars ad,  there were people who responded from Wisconsin,  Michigan,  Mississippi,  California and  Tennesee.   And so the first club newsletter was written up and sent it out.   This is the cover of volume 1, number 1.   I think the first club dues were five dollars.

You can read that at the time there were three other clubs for wing cars around the country.   Les Bowman's Plymouth Superbird Club from Ohio.   Tony Waters headed up the Superbird & Daytona Enthusiasts of America from Tennesee, and Winged Warriors Limited in California.    Although Les Bowman had started his group informally in 1972 among his family, all four clubs basically came on the scene at the same time in 1975.

nascarxx29

The other wing clubs I can recall besides the ones already mentioned Nascar street classics out of NC I recall .WCOA Dan Azzariti FL
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 14, 2010, 11:23:19 AM
The other wing clubs I can recall besides the ones already mentioned Nascar street classics out of NC I recall .WCOA Dan Azzariti FL

NASCAR Street Classics was an interim name for Winged Warriors during a time they expanded to allow the Fords and Charger 500's.   I don't remember the other one from Florida.

nascarxx29

I got a few of his newsletters somewhere around here.He also owned a superbird .I believe it was called wing cars of america out of Spring Hill FL .Dan Arraziti .Dan also for a short time reproduced metal parts for the superbird.He may be one of those short lived companies from the 80-s
There was another vendor back in the day 80-s vendor for noses/wingcar parts in Alum Kiwi something I recall .I have there price list .

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Redbird

I believe Dan Azzariti had his club mostly in the 90's and he set-up the national meet in Florida at the time. I remember Monroe was there and Monroe and I talked quite a bit. I was there and Dan had an early computer with info he had collected on cars. Dan was looking for info, tags, broadcast sheets, etc to put down on his computer. I asked Dan, at the time what he had on one of my cars. He looked it up, totally wrong 3rd. party info he had gotten completely mixed up. Dan had a lot of energy. Didn't he have a friend that was a judge that had a few mopars?

70Sbird

Quote from: Aero426 on July 14, 2010, 11:49:51 AM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 14, 2010, 11:23:19 AM

NASCAR Street Classics was an interim name for Winged Warriors.   Never heard of the other one from Florida.

this decal was on my rear quarter window when I bought my car in 2001
I't still there, I think Rick Edwards has the same decal on his Limelight 'Bird in the same place
So the next question may be if the NASCAR Street Classics became the Winged Warriors, is there any way they may have prior owner history on my car? I'm not a WW member so I'm not really sure of the structure or archived records
Scott

Scott Faulkner

Aero426

Quote from: Redbird on July 14, 2010, 12:18:07 PM
I believe Dan Azzariti had his club mostly in the 90's and he set-up the national meet in Florida at the time. I remember Monroe was there and Monroe and I talked quite a bit. I was there and Dan had an early computer with info he had collected on cars. Dan was looking for info, tags, broadcast sheets, etc to put down on his computer. I asked Dan, at the time what he had on one of my cars. He looked it up, totally wrong 3rd. party info he had gotten completely mixed up. Dan had a lot of energy. Didn't he have a friend that was a judge that had a few mopars?

I do remember Dan Azzariti.  I also rememeber the meet in Florida, as it rained a lot.    The judge friend is Dan Andrews.   We were over at his place during the meet.   

talkiemopar

Hey there,

From what I remember NASCAR told the club that they had a registered trade mark for NASCAR and we had to change the name or go to court.   The name was changed to winged warriors.  Everyone was told to remove the NASCAR  decal.  I liked it and didn't remove it.  Now it's a part of history.  THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!   LOL :icon_smile_tongue: :nana: :cheers:   :Twocents:

Rick

moparstuart

Quote from: talkiemopar on July 14, 2010, 01:07:59 PM
Hey there,

From what I remember NASCAR told the club that they had a registered trade mark for NASCAR and we had to change the name or go to court.   The name was changed to winged warriors.  Everyone was told to remove the NASCAR  decal.  I liked it and didn't remove it.  Now it's a part of history.  THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!   LOL :icon_smile_tongue: :nana: :cheers:   :Twocents:

Rick
thats only one of your many stories  :nana:

talkiemopar

Hey Stuart,

I don't think I'm going to let rich live long enough to tell ALL his stories.  He's like a shadow that won't go away - like he's sitting here watching me type. 

the secretary

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim