News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hesitation at start and a *pop* throught the carburator!

Started by billschroeder5842, March 04, 2010, 09:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I've got some hesitation at start and now a *pop* through the carburetor!

My '69 with a 383, headers, aluminum intake, electronic ignition and an Alberik carb has now developed some bad habits. It used to always give me a slight hesitation at start, but a I worked around it with a slight "flutter" of my gas foot. However, I did have it "breaking up" on me at rpms above 4500.

I had a friend come over and help me reset the timing as I thought it was running poorly.
We retarded the timing a bit, but now I've got a *pop* through the carb under moderate-hard acceleration. Gradually increasing rpms gives me no problem, but the hesitation on take off persists.

Are the two related? Should I just not worry about it and advance the timing to the "old" setting.

Any ideas are helpful!
Texas Proud!

Rayzor

It sounds like the timing is retarded a bit to much. what is your base setting?

Bob

lisiecki1

sounds like its running lean and a little too retarded....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

resq302

Mine had that too.  Was going from a good idle circut and going lean in the transition.  might want to check the acelerator pump if it is a carter or eddy carb.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

68 RT

To find out if it is lean pull a plug or 2, if it is white or very light brown it is too lean.

billschroeder5842

Thanks-good suggestions. tonight I'll advance the timing a bit and put a little back to rich.

It is an Edelbrock carb that is relatively new so I'm thinking the pump is okay.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

ACUDANUT

ACUDANUT

Make sure the firing order is good. Adjust the carb and replace the plugs.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

cpthowdy1369

ha ha ha, your car is retarded, ha ha ha   

i'm just kidding around
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

Rayzor

Quote from: cpthowdy1369 on March 05, 2010, 01:09:52 AM
ha ha ha, your car is retarded, ha ha ha   

i'm just kidding around
I didnt have have the heart to say it....... :smilielol: