News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carter Thermo quad rebuilds

Started by Rayzor, March 03, 2010, 05:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

I have a thermoquad laying around and thought I would give it a shot at a rebuild for my 440. I also have another core that I took apart to check out how they work. They look really simple as far as a carb goes, but are there any pit falls I should know about? The carbs are both in good shape, its just the plastic body I keep looking at and wondering.....

moparstuart

those carbs run great , if the plastic body has not warped .  The body's do warp easy and thats the down fall 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

200MPH

DemonSizzler  over on moparts did mine and i could not believe how much better my LRT performance was! + the Mpg too. I installed it right out of the box with hardly any adjustment
Charger

Tilar

They really are a relatively simple carb. Just be sure to check all the adjustments that are in the instructions that come with the kit.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

62 Max

If it's been sitting for a while,fill the bowl with lacquer thinner and sit it on a paper towel.The wells under the main jets have a tendency to leak over time.If they leak eventually the bowl will go dry and you will have a hard starting problem if it is not run on a regular basis.If they leak,carefully remove,clean and use JB weld to put them back on.Only other thing to remember is the adjustment procedure.There are eleven adjustments and they need done in order as per instructions.Do one out of place and you screw up about three then you start over.There is nothing like a TQ when it works the way it should.

Rayzor

Quote from: 62 Max on March 03, 2010, 07:27:34 PM
If it's been sitting for a while,fill the bowl with lacquer thinner and sit it on a paper towel.The wells under the main jets have a tendency to leak over time.If they leak eventually the bowl will go dry and you will have a hard starting problem if it is not run on a regular basis.If they leak,carefully remove,clean and use JB weld to put them back on.Only other thing to remember is the adjustment procedure.There are eleven adjustments and they need done in order as per instructions.Do one out of place and you screw up about three then you start over.There is nothing like a TQ when it works the way it should.
Are you saying that the plastic body turns pourous over time? So if it starts seeping out seal the bolw walls with JB weld?
Also if there is some warping in the body I read some place that you can lay it on like a sheet of sand paper and lightly resurface it. How do you check for warpage, with a feeler?

FLG

Im happy with my TQ

You will be happy about the plastic body when its summer out...keep the fuel nice and cool.  :2thumbs:

62 Max

Quote from: Rayzor on March 03, 2010, 08:51:04 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on March 03, 2010, 07:27:34 PM
Are you saying that the plastic body turns pourous over time? So if it starts seeping out seal the bolw walls with JB weld?
Also if there is some warping in the body I read some place that you can lay it on like a sheet of sand paper and lightly resurface it. How do you check for warpage, with a feeler?

Bowls do not turn porous.There are cup shaped wells on the bottom of the bowl under the main jets.They are epoxied on.Over time the epoxy turns brittle and they leak.They need resealed.As for warped bowls,I imagine there have been some but I have never seen any.If you use new gaskets you shouldn't have a problem.

Rayzor

Quote from: FLG on March 03, 2010, 10:00:30 PM
Im happy with my TQ

You will be happy about the plastic body when its summer out...keep the fuel nice and cool.  :2thumbs:
People here in oregon get edgy when that sun thing shows up once a year. So I dont think boiling fuel will be a problem!  :2thumbs:
Ok, spotted those wells, will definetly take a look at them. Called a few mopar buddies and now have 5 carbs to choose from now.

451-74Charger

I paid $25 for mine and i hink another $12 for the Zip kit. Both look NOS

451-74Charger

Just saw this, for $15.
Maybe too late though

Reply to: sale-7jggx-1602201950@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6-2363.
1969 Dodge Charger.
Spread bore.
Call. 937.286.2919.