News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

just bought a historic hauler

Started by 41husk, March 05, 2010, 07:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: Mopurr on March 06, 2010, 10:54:16 PM
Neat truck congrats on the purchase

Just some confused thoughts so a couple of questions

What year did Cotton stop having a nascar cup race team?

And isn't the truck a 1977?

So a Daytona would not have been racing then right?

Or was this a rebody type thing to a newer truck from an old hauler......I am not near my newsletter to remember the details

The truck is a '77 and was new then.    Chrysler gave the truck to Cotton who modified it into the ramp back it is today, and built the engine in it.    Neil told me a few weeks ago that Cotton used it to run to and from Detroit to get cars.   I think he was getting cars from Chrysler for salvage.   At some point, Neil bought it and used it to move cars around when he supplied race and stunt cars for movies.    Cotton still ran cars (Charger/Magnum) for Marty Robbins when the truck was new, so it is possible it was used, but I do not know for sure.  It does not have a tire rack on it, which is something I would expect for something that went to the track.     Either way, it is an affordable vintage hauler with a definite connection to two NASCAR legends.  It's perfect to haul an old Mopar.    It looks like a real nice piece and it's one of a kind.   

CornDogsCharger

When I saw that thing in the newsletter, I knew it wouldn't last long!  I would have loved to get it but I just bought back my old 66 Charger and didn't need to spend anything else for a while.  At least it is in good hands.  That would be the perfect car show hauler.  How many people can actually say their hauler has mopar history?!  Great score at a great price!!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

SBBob

Great find!  Knowing the history is a plus.  I picked up a hauler a couple of years ago and am still looking to find out who it belonged to.  Your car will look great on it.  Yo, SBBob
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

hemigeno

Congrats on the purchase Allen!  There's some very cool history associated with that truck, even if it didn't haul an aero car to/from a NASCAR track.  The names associated with the truck DID have a connection, and I'm glad to see you get it.

I had my truck out on Friday delivering some materials to a guy, who may end up buying it.  Might not be able line up our haulers on the drag strip starting line, but that's a blessing in disguise.  Anyone trying to speed-shift one of these monsters (especially with a load on the back) is bucking for an expensive tow bill.  Great way to break parts.

When you pick it up, I'd be interested to know how it pulls, especially up the hills you'll be travelling through to bring it home.

:cheers:

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on March 06, 2010, 08:05:29 AM
Quote from: tan top on March 06, 2010, 08:03:13 AM
:scratchchin:  need  a grandnational Daytona clone now to park on the back  :icon_smile_wink:
i'm sure we can at least get a couple for a photo shoot in branson .

you could use the Marty car in Branson--timing's a little off but hey...

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on March 08, 2010, 03:27:22 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on March 06, 2010, 08:05:29 AM
Quote from: tan top on March 06, 2010, 08:03:13 AM
:scratchchin:  need  a grandnational Daytona clone now to park on the back  :icon_smile_wink:
i'm sure we can at least get a couple for a photo shoot in branson .

you could use the Marty car in Branson--timing's a little off but hey...
you need to get it running and driving first  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

SBBob

Can't wait to see your pictures of the new find.  My 70 is a rainbow.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

moparstuart

Quote from: SBBob on March 08, 2010, 05:49:33 PM
nice truck bob

41husk

I am going to go down in a couple weeks, probably in my wifes mini van and load the van up and head for home.  Mr. Castle said I would probably want to lengthen the ramps to make sure the nose didn't scrape before getting the Daytona.  That comment makes me think there was never a wing car on it :brickwall: I will send Mr Owens a letter, unless some one would have a phone # they could share, so I can find out as much as I can about the truck.  I would like to know if it ever had any graphics, like a COG emblem :shruggy:  If I could get pictures of it in that state, I could get the graphics reproduced.  Even if it never had a wing car or race car on it, it still has some cool history.  I hope I can find more info on it.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

41husk

Just got off the phone with Neal.  He answered a few of my questions.  The car is in original paint as it wore in the (76 Chicago car show ?) It is the only one ever built.  He has a picture of it from when Cotton finished the build, that Cotton gave him when he bought the truck.  He said he is not sure of it's location but he will look for it. 
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hemigeno

Quote from: 41husk on March 09, 2010, 09:21:23 AM
I will send Mr Owens a letter, unless some one would have a phone # they could share

I'll ask Rich B. if he will share Cotton's phone number with you (I don't have it).  He still keeps in regular contact with Cot & Dot.

41husk

That would be great! just send me aPM if he can share that #
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: SBBob on March 08, 2010, 05:49:33 PM

Nice looking hauler,what engine is in it? :popcrn:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

41husk

It has a 361 built by Cotton Owens.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Owens.  I found some more interesting things.  Neal Castles was really the 4th owner and I am the fith.  Cotton told me he was given a bare truck from Chrysler and he buit this from about four trucks.  It was once a 4 car hauler that he did haul race cars on.  He did say he had never had a wing car on that truck.  He said he doesn't believe the truck was at the Chicago car show.  He sold the truck to Marty Robbins, after he died Mr. Owens purchased the truck back and converted it to a one car hauler.  He also said he had had a problem breaking cranks and at one point built a new 361 and installed that.  He told me I need to put a cummings diesel in the truck.  I said I hate to do that considering the history.  I am going to send him a stamped envelope and I hope he can find some of the pictures of the build and any other information on the truck.  He said the truck was featured in a magazine, and there was a picture of him in front of the truck.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on March 15, 2010, 10:02:39 AM
It has a 361 built by Cotton Owens.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Owens.  I found some more interesting things.  Neal Castles was really the 4th owner and I am the fith.  Cotton told me he was given a bare truck from Chrysler and he buit this from about four trucks.  It was once a 4 car hauler that he did haul race cars on.  He did say he had never had a wing car on that truck.  He said he doesn't believe the truck was at the Chicago car show.  He sold the truck to Marty Robbins, after he died Mr. Owens purchased the truck back and converted it to a one car hauler.  He also said he had had a problem breaking cranks and at one point built a new 361 and installed that.  He told me I need to put a cummings diesel in the truck.  I said I hate to do that considering the history.  I am going to send him a stamped envelope and I hope he can find some of the pictures of the build and any other information on the truck.  He said the truck was featured in a magazine, and there was a picture of him in front of the truck.
very cool , so neil and marty both owned it  , great history .  both wing car drivers at least  :2thumbs:

41husk

Wow!!! I just went down and registered this thing.  I was figuring on getting AV tags $50 for 5 years.   Oh No!!!  They told me the truck was to big for AV tags.  It cost me $185 a year.  I figured title tags and taxes would be less than that.  I left with my tags after writing a check for $380. :o  Now insurance :brickwall: AV taged cars cost me under $100 per year to insure.  I'm afraid to guess what they are going to want :RantExplode:  I am sure I have seen fire trucks at shows with AV tags.  I need to try to look into this?
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hemigeno

I have to carry "regular" license tags on my C500 2-ton truck also.  If you're going to do much more than put it in parades (and hauling a car with it definitely falls under that category), you're pretty much stuck with regular plates.

With your new license tags, will you fall under the CDL requirement?  Might also want to have Mr. Castles show you how to adjust those air brakes before you leave too - would hate for some overzealous DOT officer to ruin the return trip with your prize.

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on March 16, 2010, 04:12:19 PM
I have to carry "regular" license tags on my C500 2-ton truck also.  If you're going to do much more than put it in parades (and hauling a car with it definitely falls under that category), you're pretty much stuck with regular plates.

With your new license tags, will you fall under the CDL requirement?  Might also want to have Mr. Castles show you how to adjust those air brakes before you leave too - would hate for some overzealous DOT officer to ruin the return trip with your prize.

plus it can get alot hilly and snakey down in them hills .  :icon_smile_big:

Aero426

I saw the truck yesterday at Neil's.  It looks very clean and fired up immediately.   Sounds great too. 

wingcar builder

hey Doug did you use it to go get your car while you had it running? ;)

41husk

Do I need to get a CDL?  What does that take?  I plan on having Neal go over everything with me before I get on the road.  Does anyone know if haggerty or World wide will insure this truck?  My insurance said it doesn't matter how few miles I have to insure it as a Commercial truck and the lowest rate he had was just under $800 per year.  I probably won't put 800 miles per year on it, thats $1 per mile.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Aero426

Quote from: wingcar builder on March 16, 2010, 11:57:27 PM

I wish.  It was tempting to pull it up on there for some photos.

hemigeno

Quote from: 41husk on March 17, 2010, 07:37:01 AM
Do I need to get a CDL? 

That might depend on what weight your truck is licensed for and/or it's GVWR.  I'm no expert on CDL in general or Illinois DOT laws in particular, but I think you might be OK as long as the truck has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,000 lbs or less.  My '60 has a GVWR of less than 20,000lbs, so it definitely falls below the limbo bar.  Your new truck is two steps heavier being a D700, so it might be close.  GVWR's are not something you can fudge, as they're set by the manufacturer.

As far as what it takes to get a CDL, you'll have to check with Illinois to be sure.  Here's a non-official website that has some info:

http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/apply-cdl.php

I dug around and found the Illinois statutuory requirements for CDL, but it gets pretty wordy.  The info can be found in this link about 3/4 of the way down the loooong page.

41husk

Quote from: Aero426 on March 17, 2010, 10:11:35 AM
Quote from: wingcar builder on March 16, 2010, 11:57:27 PM

I wish.  It was tempting to pull it up on there for some photos.
If your there before I take it home, your welcome to load your car and take any pictures you like.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

Thanks Geno the GVW is 26,000 lbs
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904