News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another charger 500 thread

Started by jwilk01, December 08, 2005, 03:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger500

Hi, Just found this site.  I've owned Chargers since 1976 and can't believe I haven't seen this yet.  Anybody have my broadcast sheet?  XX29L9B238080...

Sold new at Pointe Dodge in Detroit, MI, and was supposed to have paced at a Nascar Race prior to being sold as new on August 14th, 1969.  I guessed maybe the Motor State 500 at MIS on June 15th, 1969.  I heard this from both the first and third owners.  The third owner said he had pictures of it in a magazine on the track somewhere.

Great info and pictures on this thread...

69Charger500

Here's a picture of it in a salvage yard around 1972.  It was stolen and later recovered after the insurance company paid it off to the 2nd owner.

69Charger500

Here's another...

69Charger500

I've got a broadcast sheet for a 500 somewhere around, that got lost when I moved about 12 years ago...  I found it in an R/T I owned, along with the correct sheet.  The 500 sheet was in the rear bench seat, and the R/T sheet was in the rear seat back...   I'll look for it again...

PocketThunder

Damn dude welcome to the site.   :cheers:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Blown70

:o  Nice,   ohh to find one now in a salvage yard....

Tom

69Charger500

I saw a C500 in a salvage yard near Alpena, Michigan about 15 years ago in the winter.  It was 2nd in a stack of 5 cars high, row to row, so I could not get close enough to get any further details.  Just enough to see the roof crushed, the flush back window, and 500 stripe.  I've wanted to get back there for years, but figured it had long since gone to the crusher or shredder.  I did not know how rare they were at the time...  Anybody else see this one or have any pictures?

Ghoste

Welcome to the site.  I like the 500 in the snow pics.

69Charger500

Thanks Ghoste,

Here's an ad for my car from 1975 when sold by the 3rd owner.  I got this and the salvage yard pics, and the original bill of sale from him.  I ran into him at a car show last year and he recognized the 500 right away like he owned it yesterday, not 30 years ago.  His name is spelled wrong in the ad, and the address and phone number have changed, so I thought it ok to post.  I thought it was interesting because he advertised it as a "500 Fast top, one of 520 built."  Not sure where he got that info from.

I contacted the original owners last week.  The owner's wife said she used to drive the car back and forth to work in Detroit, and the "truck clutch" was hard to push in with her high heels."  She also said it was hard to steer since she only weighed 98 pounds (it's manual steering), "but that 440 Hemi sure was fast!!!!!!!!!"  (the car is a 440-4Speed Super Trak Pak with 4.10 Dana).

chargervert

Hey Thanks for letting me know Als  screen name! I haven't seen him in a while. I love that blue 500. I wanted to ask him who rolled those fenders for him. I want to do a set of 70 fenders for one of my projects.

69_500

Welcome to the site there 69Charger500.

I looked through my papers and I don't have a buildsheet for car 238080, so no luck there. I take it the car has been restored since your purchased it? A T7 bronze, 4 speed car. A mate to Troy's 500 from the site. I had thought for a second that I did have a copy of your broadcast sheet, as I was getting close to your VIN and saw a bronze 4 speed car, but it was 238099, and its T5.

I'm assuming that with your being around the Detroit area that you were a member of the Winged Warriors back in the 70's or such? Seems that most of the aero car owners from that time frame in that region were, its jut an assumption.

Also assuming you restored the car, just curious as to what you did to the rear side marker lights? Did you paint them the appropriate white to match the tail stripe, or leave them as in the pictures you posted where they are body color? I'm guessing the way it was in the pictures you posted is the way your car came origionally as they appear to be taken in the early to mid 70's.

69Charger500

Thanks for looking 69 500.   Mine is T5 Copper Metallic, C6X, 440-4Speed, Super Trak Pak, Console, R11, and came with a white stripe.   No wheel & tire code on the fender tag, but the original owner said it had Magnum 500s when he bought it new from Pointe Dodge.   Should there be a code on the fender tag for the Magnum 500s??????   Also, is the tach/clock standard with the Rallye Instrument Cluster?

I'll have to check on the side marker lights.   I've had my car since July '99, and it was painted by a previous owner 17 years ago when he did a partial resto on it. Both he and the next owner added lots of NOS stuff.   When I got it, I went through the chassis, suspension, and powertrain, and rebuilt & upgraded all those parts needed to make it ride and drive really well.   I paid $13K for it then.

Unfortunately, in order to buy it, I sold my numbers matching FE5 383 Magnum Challenger convertible which had AC, power everything, stripes, etc.   The wife thought it was unsafe due to no shoulder belts, and I had 3 kids, so we couldn't fit them all in the car ($23,500).   It was from Tennessee, nearly completely rustfree, and I had done a really nice resto on it, even though it looked great as it was.   Had it for 11 years (paid $6K for it in '88).   Here's a picture of it when it was on display at the Chrysler Tech Center in '98.

69Charger500

Also, I'd love to see a broadcast sheet for a '500, since I misplaced the one I did have years ago (not for my car).  If someone can post one I'd really appreciate it (make a copy of it, block out the VIN, write the word COPY across the whole page, then scan and post).

Thanks...

hemi68charger

Welcome to the board 69Charger500.........

Troy here from Houston, Texas....... You wouldn't happen to be out of the Texarkana would you?  There's a T5 Copper 440 4speed, tam interior with white stripe... Gorgeous car... Has the steelies with hub caps.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69Charger500

Thanks hemi68charger.   I'm from Michigan northwest of Detroit.

Here's the side marker pic for 69 500 (not sure if this is correct).   I'll have to look more closely at the old pics from '71 to see what I can see...

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69Charger500 on January 03, 2006, 08:30:47 AM
Thanks hemi68charger.  I'm from Michigan northwest of Detroit.

Here's the side marker pic for 69 500 (not sure if this is correct).  I'll have to look more closely at the old pics from '71 to see what I can see...

Ahh... OK.. Were you at the Talladega AeroWarriors Meet? There were a couple T5 C500's..........  At any rate.. the side marker bezel is in question I think.. I hope someone out there has a true survivor C500 and can tell us..... I remember there's a picture of a A4 quarter panel once and I believe it was the original paint/stripe. I'm under the impression that they "should" have been painted stripe color. BUT, iin the spirit of getting them out the door at Creative as fast as possible, they may have just made the "X" cut in the opening and shoved the bezel back in and off they went..........

69_500, Have any close up of any of your Dad's old unrestored C500's?............

Now that you've posted a stripe pic 69Charger500, what about the complete car?.. :-)

Duhhh, I just saw your postings....  Damn nice looking C500........... Looks like from those vintage pics, the bezel wasn't painted............ no?

Is your interior tan? Mine is and my broadcast sheet is lost... The broadcast sheet that was in my car belonged to a T7 Hemi 4-speed car... Would be nice to find one, but i think our cars were built too far apart to get mixed up at Creative Industries..........

Did you see the other C500 thread?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7379.0.html   Lots of C500 pictures

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69Charger500

Ok, I blew up the pics of my car from 1971 and from today and took some measurements since it was hard to see all the detail in the old pics.  I am pretty sure the side marker bezel is not white, but body color on the pictures from 1971.

Is this something that varies from car to car on the C500s??????

Mike

69Charger500

It also appears the cutout is actually bigger on the original stripe in the picture from 1971, than on the stripe that is on my car now.

My interior is black...   Lots of great info on this site....

Mike

p.s.   I've got all the original Chrysler Engineering Graphics for 1969, 1970, and 1971 (both paper copies and microfilm copies).   Unfortunately they don't cover the '69 500s.   I do know that based on the information contained in the Paint Illustration Graphics I have, which details how to apply paint, blackout, and stripes, the process varies depending on body and stripe colors/combinations.   Add to this the confusion which would result from a varying process, and the potential for human error, then it is probably OK either way...

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69Charger500 on January 03, 2006, 08:55:30 AM
It also appears the cutout is actually bigger on the original stripe in the picture from 1971, than on the stripe that is on my car now.

My interior is black...  Lots of great info on this site....

Mike

p.s.  I've got all the original Chrysler Engineering Graphics for 1969, 1970, and 1971 (both paper copies and microfilm copies).  Unfortunately they don't cover the '69 500s.  I do know that based on the information contained in the Paint Illustration Graphics I have, which details how to apply paint, blackout, and stripes, the process varies depending on body and stripe colors/combinations.  Add to this the confusion which would result from a varying process, and the potential for human error, then it is probably OK either way...

You are correct.... I feel the same.. But personally, I prefer the bezel to match the stripe, gives it a cleaner look......... The R/T's were painted if memory serves me, but then again, they weren't under the same production "rules" as the C500's........  Sounds like you have a wealth of info yourself and that, along with you, is another great asset to this site...

Not too many black interiors with the T5 cars I recall..., that I've seen any ways...........

Troy
Troy

69Charger500

Thanks,

It helps that I dated a girl who worked at Chrysler Historical in the 80s!!!!!  Since I was a Chrysler employee, she used to let me go through all their records and make copies of whatever I wanted!!!!!  I also have copies of the original Ordering Code Guides for '70 & '71.

For some unknown reason, I have been drawn to these cars my whole life, and have never owned anything but a Chrysler product.  I used to spend my spare time going through all the junk yards I passed just to look at all the cool old cars there, and see the history, and maybe pick up a needed part or two.

In the mid '80s, I learned the dealerships still had lots of parts left, and bought what I needed for the Challenger and Charger I had at the time.  I remember thinking "I can't believe these guys are ripping me off for wheel opening mouldings at $18 each, they can't cost more than $5 to make!!!!!"  "And how can they charge me $80 for Valance Panels or $12 for emblems, and still sleep at night!!!!!"

Oh to go back now.....

I won't tell you about the FE5 440-6 Pack 4 Speed Challenger R/T convertible I wanted to buy in 1982.  I thought the guy was out of his mind, he wanted $2000 for it.  Didn't he know I only paid $400 for my 340 4-Speed Challenger 3 years prior??????

And when I saw a '69 Hemi Charger for sale in 1987 (southern car, 4-Speed, original paint), I thought the guy was on drugs 'cause he wanted $9000 for it.  The sad thing is, I could have bought it.  I didn't have the cash, but I had a decent job, was single, and could have financed it........

Oh well...  Live and learn I guess.....

I am of the belief that those of us who truly love these cars have inadvertantly "done ourselves in," by collecting them, coveting them, restoring them, and proudly driving them around when nobody else cared.  After 25 or so years of us doing this, the people who couldn't care less about them finally woke up and saw what we saw in them........  Now they only care about the "value" or "profits."

Mike

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69Charger500 on January 03, 2006, 10:13:37 AM

And when I saw a '69 Hemi Charger for sale in 1987 (southern car, 4-Speed, original paint), I thought the guy was on drugs 'cause he wanted $9000 for it.   The sad thing is, I could have bought it.   I didn't have the cash, but I had a decent job, was single, and could have financed it........

Mike

I remember in 1987 being in 7th Grade and looking thru the Auto Trader every week for Chargers.  (No internet back then) They were nice running drivers for usually $3000.  I asked my dad all the time to go look at one with me, but being the oldest of 4, Dad didnt have $3000 to float me a loan when i was making $3.25 and hour washing dishes on Friday nights at the Fish Fry....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69Charger500

Sorry,  I got a little off topic!!!  This should point us back in the 500 direction.  I bought this '70 Charger 500 in around 1989 for $300.  The guy I bought it from was a local Mopar guy I knew who worked at Ramchargers.  He was happy to get rid of it, since it was stored at a friend's house, and it was minus engine & trans.  He sweetened the deal with a pair of '70 NOS Door Scoop Emblems (real ones!!), and, hold on......     ..........an NOS complete 1970 Charger Grill with Headlamp Doors & everything.

I honestly bought the car just cause my '70 R/T front bumper was slightly dented, and his car had a near perfect bumper and grill on it, so I thought I'd upgrade mine with his.

So I swapped his bumper onto my R/T, then sold the whole works to another guy who wanted to restore the car.  Yep, I sold it for the same $300 I paid for it, and threw back in the NOS Grille 'cause I felt bad the car was a little rusty (kept the emblems, though!!!).

What do these go for now, I wonder?????????

nascarxx29

A guy I heard of I think he was also in Mi.Where a friend of mine bought a orange 6 pack superbird from.Chuck R had a 500.The 238080 shows up in June 79 records as a Jim B MI.Its a bronze 4 speed with black interior as the club has it listed
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 69Charger500 on January 03, 2006, 12:07:14 PM

What do these go for now, I wonder?????????

Probably 4-5K without breaking a sweat. Pretty crazy, huh? :-\

Welcome aboard! It's great to have interesting owners with interesting cars, the more the merrier. :wave:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 69Charger500 on January 02, 2006, 04:48:12 PM
Here's a picture of it in a salvage yard around 1972.   It was stolen and later recovered after the insurance company paid it off to the 2nd owner.

Is this the car you have now?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser