News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SELF ETHING PRIMER THEN POLURETHANE PRIMER

Started by MORFF, March 15, 2010, 03:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MORFF

With confidence booster and lots of help from father in law got passenger side floor cut out and cleaned up have to show you pics today in primer. camera died body guy welding it in Tues. Going to tackle drivers side floor and shift hump next weekend can not wait. Any hints or is driver side about same
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

MORFF

here is pics cleaned up
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

MORFF

Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

MORFF

more progress
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

twodko

Damn Mike! I say again.......Damn Mike! That is some beautiful work and the new floor panel is sweet. New floor panel installations don't get much better. Anyone else in your AO helping with the sheetmetal prep?
I love these cars man so if you have a 727 already, find a 440 and make it produce the kind of power you want. Semper Fi to the original car bro. Epoxy primer, nuff said. Looks great so far.

Tom

"Do or die"

If you're securing scotchbrite pads etc at work is your MOS aviation sheetmetal?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

elitecustombody

you could have used panel adhesive and glued the floors in, no welding,grinding,rustproofing to deal with and no rust and corrosion down the road 

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: elitecustombody on May 19, 2010, 08:44:01 PM
you could have used panel adhesive and glued the floors in, no welding,grinding,rustproofing to deal with and no rust and corrosion down the road 
Sounds like an very interesting way, tell me more please. :yesnod:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

MORFF

Yes I am an A&P Airframe and Powerplant mech 8 and 1/2 years Marines on AH-1W SUPPER COBRAS AND UH-1N HUEYS OR M.O.S 6114/6174. I work on Blackhawks now. For the AO prep mainly me little help from my brother and father in law. I can not weld so this Sat the passenger side floor that you guys see is getting welded in my neighbor across the road this sat he does this stuff for living i will post pics after done. I can not wait tell its all in primer i like mopars in primer
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

MORFF

More progress sat floor getting welded in then its time for new skin on drivers floor
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

MORFF

Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

MORFF

Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

69*F5*SE

MORFF

Question for you guys I was reading a post that Troy put out he said he used vinegar to get rid of surface rust. You think this would work on my surface rust.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

hemi-hampton

Best thing to use if you want a chemical to remove rust is Oxalic Acid. Much stronger & faster then Vinegar. Vinegar &  Lemon Juice contains Citrus Acid. Wood Bleech same as Oxalic Acid, Bar keepers Friend & Zud also contains less concentrated Oxalic Acid. I just Prefer to sand blast my self. LEON.

Silver R/T

If you can get it soda blasted, it's less aggressive
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

MORFF

Well floor is in the passengers side the guys has to finish butt welding on drive shaft tunnel but its good enough for now to tackle drivers side this weekend can not wait. He has to tack the toe area too by fire wall too but no warping. and got to organize my garage good progress this weekend.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

69*F5*SE

Cool beans Mike.  Love to see the progress   :yesnod:

HOTROD

U are doing all of that with rattle cans ??? looks good , your welder did not have a problum with the primer?? I always use ( Zinc Rich Weld Through Primer )  ! :2thumbs:
What the Hell-Dumass !

MORFF

Yup all self etching primer from sem rattle can. The welder did not say had any problems other than ran out of gas so could not finish my butt weld on d/s tunnel to panel other than that no problems with welding at with the primer.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

superbirdtom

when you start getting to the exterior  watch out  with the scotchbrite wheels as they actually polish the metal  whis is bad for adhesion. definetly  get it blasted with some kleen blast or something aggressive.  then epoxy prime, you can lay bondo right over the epoxy primer to do your mud work it sticks better than bare metal.  I use napa tec supreme bondo  its better than rage gold or any bondo I have ever used .  but you also could use an acid etch with a red scotchbrite pad to prep outer surfaces  as the surface rust actually has crevices  that the eye cannot see.  the etch will halp to go deep and kill the rust. I would not use the rattle bomb stuff on the outside of the car period.

I live in a rain forrest and it rains 280 inches a year and I have learned how to make jobs last.  If you use the ppg  dp-50 grey  you will love it it covers very well and your exterior skim coat of bondo will stick like glue to it.  put on the bondo and let it sit overnight for a really good grip.  the tec supreme rom napa aint cheap  but is worth it it sands like butter and has virtually no pinholes.  many peope don't realize this but the good ppg k-36 primer is actually waterproof. I blasted a cuda body to bare metal and let it sit outside in rain snow etc for 10 years  with just k-36 on it and still no rust  it was amazing..

You can try some other method of grinding your exterior  if you can't blast it .I would use 8 inch 80 grit on a soft pad with a buffer grinder.   you can find the soft pads  at most jobbers.  it is actually very fast way to strip exterior panels and primer will stick better than hell.

MORFF

Tks for input 280 inches of rain a year that is crazy tks allot for info again my father in law is up for a week so i can get my drivers side floor cut out and cleaned to bare metal and primed this week can not wait. Out side i am skidish on trying maybe i will try on trunk first and see I was going to do the inside have body do out side but i want to try i relate allot of car work to aircraft because i have worked on helicopters for 11 years and its very similar work. But I have never worked on some thing like this car my dream car so I do not want to mess it up. But with my father in law we can do about anything because he worked on helicopters like me in service and was a body guy.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

MORFF

Starting on drivers side floor marked line for frame and e-brake cable took cole chisel to front.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

superbirdtom

I used to have an aircraft paint shop at the burbank airport from 83 till 87  I painted a couple bell jet rangers hughs 500,s and a couple A stars. stripped them to bare metal. I painted the santinis air helicopter from airwolf tv series .  I have painted over 100 aircraft including long ez,s and a couple lear jets a falcon 7 ,a couple cessna citations, a t-28 trainer an at-6 texan and many dehavilland beavers  .cessna 185,s pipers etc.  so I know how to make paint stick at 500 mph.Im sure you know all about the etch and alodine process. thats why your onto the self etch primer .

Thats what the french aerospatial a stars had on them from the factory and although the paint would come off with regular yellow aircraft stripper  the self etch they used was a mother %$@!^.   so you had to use a pink acid stripper  man some real nasty stuff , one drop on you and it would immediatly burn the hell outta you. The trick with self etch is to topcoat it within one day or you have to scuff it up real good .  it was very thin and you could see the alodined aluminum through it.   Looks like your doing a good job  Id expect nothing less from an aircraft mechanic. especially helicopters as you are a meticulous bunch.

Keep it up  looks like a good project!

MORFF

Can you post some pics of your car like to see. Hey I have worked on helicopters for 11 years I still can not find the switch for whisper mode can you help me with that lol. Hey where you located be nice if you where in CT. Hey do they make DP sanders that air electric or all air powered.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

twodko

Mike,

The switch for whisper mode is locate aft of the Johnson rods! Just ask the maintenace gunny where to look for them, he/she will be your friend.

Tom

PS Your earlier post, copy all.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!