News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Charger in Iran

Started by Old Moparz, December 09, 2005, 12:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

While hunting through some old emails in the mailbox, I found this link I had saved entitled "Iranian Daytona" & had forgotten all about it. It's a cool one page read if you want to check it out. Too bad the photo wasn't a better one, it's too hard to see more of the car. The grille screen looks funky & the fact he states the nose was glass leaves it open to debate as to whether it was a real one or a copy. Does anyone else know of this story or car?

http://www.ponysite.de/ironyard.htm

Pasted from the page:
"When I mentioned to a friend my disappointment about the recent Shelby locating that I could not buy, he asked me what a Shelby looked like. I explained to him the fact that it has a fiber glass front end, hood scoops etc.. He mentioned that he knew of a similar car which had been sitting in a yard for twenty years. After getting the address, I rushed over.

After explaining to the lady (her deceased husband was the owner) that I heard that she had an old car sitting in the yard, she let me in. As I walked in the yard I saw a big red American car, which indeed had a fiberglass nose. But the funny thing was that one of its headlights was open (like a Corvette). Unfortunately it wasn't a Shelby.

But (fortunately) it was a 1969 Dodge Daytona !!!. It has a 440, 23,000 miles and is only missing the rear wing (which the owner has promised to find). It was parked by the owner after the revolution and it has sat there ever since until I bought and moved it out last week (Sept.2002)."
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Todd Wilson

I hope they dont decide to use it for a car bomb!   :icon_smile_angry:

Todd

Charger Aficionado

I hope be hold-off Nuking Iran until the Daytona gets home!!!  (that is if they nuke someone with that bomb they're building)  ;)

dayclona

Quote from: dads_69 on December 09, 2005, 03:58:01 AM
On a cover of won of my MCG magazines, it has a Daytona that is painted up like in camo, as it is in Iran, anyone remember that car? I'll do some digging and try to post a photo of it soon. very cool find, just goes to show, you never know what a guy will find unexspectedly.
Mark

That camoflage Daytona..............was the editor of MCG's own personal project, that was temporarlly painted camo as a tribute to the men/women serving in Opperation Desert Storm...................................it was later sold, as it was just a Janak throw together car! to have fun with! Quote/ un Quote according to Randy Holden/ MCG

Ghoste

Not just the grille screen looks funky.   Check out the custom louvers on the underside of the nosecone.   Still doesn't prove its real or fake but the nose is definitely not kosher.

69_500

I tried blowing the picture up to see if  the had the Chrome A pillar's or not, but can't see for sure if it does or doesn't.

Would love to find a Daytona like that around here. But no such luck so far.

wingcars6970

I did hear about that car before .You never know where a wingcar will turn up .((I know of one in Sweden for sale or still might be available)) .And remember a club member having one in sauda arabia a dave Fontanot .I think there is even a turbine car over in sauda arabia also

(Anners reply to me from about a year ago).The car has been in storage ever since we spoke the last time and is still in
excellent condition. As far as I know, this car is very correctly restored. The
only major thing is that I believe it to have another transmission than factory,
but still correct for that type of car.The car belonged to a carl douglas its a f6 green numbers car except for the transmission that was replaced "Anders Nannerup" <a.nannerup@compass.dk>

'CUDA360

And don't forget about the Plymouth XNR that was in Kuwait just before the war...

Does anyone know if that car made it through?
These pics make me want to go out and find a Valiant to start cutting on   :icon_smile_big:

hemi68charger

Wow,, that's unbelieveable.... Hopefully it'll be taken care of soon.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Does anyone have a copy of that pic that used to be floating around where that car was being driven by a Kuwaiti?  It was kind of neat to see with it's Mideast setting and the guys Muslim headress (sorry, can't recall the proper name for it) on his lid.

Old Moparz

He said he bought it & moved it, but to where?

"But (fortunately) it was a 1969 Dodge Daytona !!!. It has a 440, 23,000 miles and is only missing the rear wing (which the owner has promised to find). It was parked by the owner after the revolution and it has sat there ever since until I bought and moved it out last week (Sept.2002)."

As for the A-Pillars, I tried enlarging them too, but it was a bad pic to begin with so I couldn't see a thing either. The cone could have been swapped or replaced, so that isn't the easiest way to tell, but the A-Pillar trim would be.
               Bob                

69_500

The front fenders looked correct however. I remember Dave talking about that same car a few years ago on Moparts.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 09, 2005, 10:21:03 AM
As for the A-Pillars, I tried enlarging them too, but it was a bad pic to begin with so I couldn't see a thing either.
I'd say it indeed did have the Aero mouldings...

If you do notice there is a metallic reflection that goes halfway across the pillar at the bottom.   I made a diagnal line across a regular pillar, and this one.   If you notice the regular pillar wouldn't have a reflection there, and instead has bodycolor paint.

EDIT:   Matter of fact, Note the upper reflection...   A normal pillar would have a GROOVE right there where drip rail moulding would stand PRONOUNCED.

Ghoste

Wow, it's like you are a forensic Chargerologist.  ;D

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2005, 01:33:42 PM
Wow, it's like you are a forensic Chargerologist. ;D

Oh, it's just that when I blew it up, I saw them matter of factly...  Making my argument.  Does anyone agree with the findings?  :)

Blown70

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on December 09, 2005, 01:45:00 PM

Oh, it's just that when I blew it up, I saw them matter of factly...   Making my argument.   Does anyone agree with the findings?   :)

I think we shall call you Grissom  ;D

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2005, 09:45:54 AM
...and the guys Muslim headress (sorry, can't recall the proper name for it) on his lid.
A rag. ;D

That's a pretty cool find. I could also understand why the grille is different...it's HOT down there! A Daytona would probably overheat quite a bit.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Blown70 on December 09, 2005, 01:45:54 PM
I think we shall call you Grissom ;D
Better than some other things I've been called :)

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 09, 2005, 01:51:59 PM
I could also understand why the grille is different...it's HOT down there! A Daytona would probably overheat quite a bit.
Excellent Observation.

4402tuff4u

.....and plenty of cheap gas to burn.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Old Moparz

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on December 09, 2005, 01:45:00 PM

Oh, it's just that when I blew it up, I saw them matter of factly...   Making my argument.   Does anyone agree with the findings?   :)

I'll play devil's advocate, & ask why you don't think it's just sunlight on the car like the rest of the driver's side?
               Bob                

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 09, 2005, 02:12:45 PM
I'll play devil's advocate, & ask why you don't think it's just sunlight on the car like the rest of the driver's side?

The sun would cast a narrow shadow from the drip rail moulding which sits up higher.  In the 2nd pic you can see the smoothness of the pillar...  Also, that sunlight would Pronounce that red color if it were on center of pillar.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2005, 07:14:44 AM
  the nose is definitely not kosher.

we're talking about Iran here.... :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

THE CHARGER PUNK

whoooo are you who who who who who :D!!!(csi)-MATT

Ghoste

Hmmm, I suppose there isn't much in Iran that is kosher is there?  I'm not sure if that was a pun or not but it certainly wasn't intended if it qualifies.   And no offense meant to anyone of Hebrew or Muslim faith.