News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Our Excellent Adventure to Amelia Island Florida

Started by Aero426, March 17, 2010, 09:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

From the "Cars You Never Knew Existed" class, comes this Graham Locomotive car.

I don't know what it is, but it was HUGE and very original looking.

Coming back after getting a ribbon.

Aero426

We had Stott Racing Team shirts made up for the event with the #7 logo on them.   Here is a group shot of our gang from Milwaukee.    We also met DC.com member Ghoste at the show on Sunday.  It was nice to meet him in person.

Mike and Sue chilling at the back of the car (literally as it was not what you would expect for "Florida warm").

Aero426

As mentioned the Petty Superbird looked a little different to me when I saw it in the ballroom.    On Sunday, it was all explained when the owner tag said the car belonged to Hugh Hawthorne of Richmond.   This is the car he got from Richard and stored inside his house for 30 years.   This is the first time it's been out in public.   The cut of the wheel openings are what looks different from the Petty Museum Superbird.   Otherwise, it seems almost identical.

Stock looking nose openings.

The fender scoops use stock studs and have threads sticking down 1/2" below the fender.

Drivers side torsion bar adjuster.

Aero426

Aero426

Underhood details of the Hawthorne / Petty Superbird:

Note the fender scoop mounting studs sticking down below the fender!

Aero426

Still more of the Petty Bird...

Strut rods and sway bar

Underside of nose

Front frame rails looking up at the underhood area

K-Frame and dry sump pan

Rubberduck

Whow so many great pictures.
Thank you for sharing.

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

hemi68charger

Doug... Those pictures are simply amazing.. What an HONOR it must have felt like to be; 1, just to be in attendance and 2, to be invited !!!  The car looked great.. Sue look great and must say, pretty darn glamorous in her digs next to you in your tux. The smile on Petty's face in the one picture of him driving the '71 Road Runner is priceless.....

Again, WOW !!!!

Troy

PS: Hope to see you soon in Houston.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

TiMopar

Mopurr

Looks like you had a blast and how cool to see all of the super rare cars

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 18, 2010, 08:21:36 AM
Doug... Those pictures are simply amazing.. What an HONOR it must have felt like to be; 1, just to be in attendance and 2, to be invited !!!  The car looked great..

Troy, you are right.   For me, it probably was a once in a lifetime chance to show a car there.   Tim Wellborn helped open the door to get the car in as he had displayed cars there before.  The head of the show, Bill Warner, is really in tune with old race cars.   It also helped that he knew the car and that he had seen it race at Daytona in 1970.  

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

More pics...

Smokey Yunick 1964 Capsule Indy Car.   The driver sits on the left side hanging out in the breeze.

I loved the color on this Gullwing.

New Maserati something or other...

Alfa Romeo 8C2300 - mind blowing performance from a 1931 car.  

McLaren M8F Can-Am

Another shot of the Posey Challenger.    

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: Aero426 on March 18, 2010, 12:51:10 AM

The fender scoops use stock studs and have threads sticking down 1/2" below the fender.

Remind me again how the fender scoops were just intended for tire clearance?

:smilielol:

AWESOME pictures, Doug!!!  Very cool honor to be invited to that show, and the #7 car fits right in with that collection of incredible rides... as it should...

:cheers:

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on March 18, 2010, 09:47:57 AM

Remind me again how the fender scoops were just intended for tire clearance?

Thanks Gene for the kind words!  

On the fender scoops, not to open that can of worms, but I simply was pointing out that you would never see a period race car with that small of an opening in the fender.  It would never use the production car scoop mounts, and would never have the metal threads exposed down towards the tire. It is pretty obvious that car was built up after the fact sometime in the 1970's.  

Mopar John

Doug,
You and the #7 cleaned up real well for this royal event! First pictures I've seen of Sue pretty gal :2thumbs:
Thanks for all the pictures!

Aero426

Duesenbergs - there were a pile of them there...

Aero426

The show wound down about 4PM and cars began to leave the field.     After the initial rush of cars leaving, I took the #7 Superbird down to the Petty car display and slotted it in for some photos.

Redbird

Doug, Super Pictures!

The Porsche 917 to me is simply the greatest racing car of all time. All those together, WOW!

I've seen other old Maserati's without paint and I love the craftsmanship too.

The Ferrari 410 Superamerica in that body style always reminds me of a 1953-54 Studebaker coupe in the back 3/4 view. I had a '54 Stude for a few years, so I guess I like it.

I really appreciate your thoughts on the Hugh Hawthorne Superbird. After all the years of a line or two in a magazine about it it finally surfaces. Even if it wasn't built in 1970, to me what it shows is the thinking of the period 1972-1978 or so. Now that you have the Stott car,have really looked over the K&K car, closely looked at the Marcus car, and more I'd guess that you have a new feel for how the different teams built things up.

tan top

what great  time , buy the looks of it :yesnod:  thanks for sharing the awesome pictures (Aero426)  :cheers: :2thumbs:
intresting about the 43 superbird :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Brock Samson

What a Classy thread!  Excellent everything! Thanks so much...   :drool5:
  BTW: Number 7 looks to be lower then the 43 or is that an illusion?..  :popcrn:
  Anymore pics?..   :2thumbs:

Redbird

To go fast the car wants to be low. On a B-body one of the first things is kicking up the rear of the tunnel so the rear end will fit better.

69_500

Awsome gathering of cars. Simply incredible.

The #7 fits right in there with the other cars. Great photo's as well Doug.

billssuperbird