News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original '66 Hemi Charger in the parking lot today!

Started by terrible one, March 23, 2010, 06:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

:o WOW!

A gentleman is having the college I'm at rebuild the 383 for his Challenger, and has been coming by frequently to check on progress and chat, etc. I've talked to him before and he mentioned owning this '66 Charger, but had no idea it was nearby or that he "exercised" it as regularly as he does. Anyways, I come in for class this afternoon and immediately spot this thing in the parking lot! I had to find him to pop the hood for me and show me around the thing, and I figured I'd take some pictures to share with you guys. Definitely not the best quality as I was crunched for time and only had my phone to use for a camera; I regret most not getting some shots of the MINT interior!

He says the car is a pretty good survivor. It has been painted and has the electronic ignition upgrade as well as new exhaust, radial tires, etc. but other than that it is DEAD original! Aside from that, the car has NEVER been restored! And WOW is it in fabulous condition! He bought it from the son of the original owner and it is a California car. Complete with certicard, buildsheet, dealer invoice, etc. I found it cool that the car had power windows! Also, it had a really cool looking rear spoiler that he says is original and rare. I really don't know my first gens hardly at all. The guy also mentioned disc brakes, but I didn't crawl under to check. Oh, and everything worked! What an AMAZING CAR!

tan top

like that  :drool5:  :coolgleamA:   think Bill france agreed to let  dodge  run that type of rear spoiler on the super speedways ,   but don't know much about first generations , to say if its a factory option , over the counter buy or , custom fabricated  :shruggy:  :scratchchin: :popcrn: , but  could be getting confused with something else though !! :scratchchin:
good pictures TO thanks for sharing  :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ITSA426

I like 66 hemi cars.  Blue line tires.  If it's a disc brake car, it's a fairly late build.  I like the spoiler but I doubt it came that way.  I've heard original spoilers look a little different and not sure they were even available until very late 66 to mid 67.  Bryan will let us know in a bit.  Pretty car.  I was expecting a red interior with the buffed silver.

terrible one

The color was infact AA1.

The owner told me that the car originally came with those blue line tires. Of course the ones on there were repros, but he did have an original one on the spare in the trunk. I had never seen that before, pretty cool.

The spoiler is definitely unique, and I had no clue about it, but it does look at home on there. The car also had what looked to be original brackets in the rear floor boards between where the rear passengers feet would lie. To those  brackets bolted a "Y" type harness that came over the front seats and shoulders of the front passengers. Definitely reminded me of vintage race gear. He had uninstalled them and had regular seatbelts in but had the harnesses in the trunk and said the car had them and the spoiler when he got it. I should have gotten pictures of them for you guys to check out. He also mentioned that he had gone to 3.55s because the gears in there when he got it were very high. All that makes me wonder if the car was originally setup to race or something . . . :shruggy:

Topher

That'd be 1 of the 9 that left the factory with disc brakes and the Hemi in 66. I've seen one of the other ones, AA1 with red innards. The spoiler was an option, but was installed at the dealer IF the customer wanted it installed. What's the guy's name?
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

A383Wing

The spoiler is not one of our reproductions, I can tell from here. However, only 8 Hemi cars in 66 came with the spoiler, but it was the center section only, no end pieces were available in 66. Spoiler could have been added in 67 when all 3 pieces were available over the counter or ordered with any 67 Charger

Pics of ours below (black car has OE factory spoiler, yellow car has one of our reproduction pieces)

one more thing, all the spoilers are supposed to be painted body color, not shiny aluminum as that one looks like.

Steelshanks

That spolished look works on that silver car though.   :coolgleamA:

I want one for my car but its low on the list.   :brickwall:
Confucius say: "Man who stand on toilet high on pot..."

My 1st Gen Resto Thread

moparguy01

Who was it that owns that car? I never saw that one before in my stint there.

Big Sugar

Well I'm pretty sure the spoilers would have came mill finish, So the owner could have easily left it that way, That Polished or Chromed one seems to fit well with the paint finish and surrounding trim. I'd say it is a nice Charger Hemi or No Hemi.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

A383Wing

Quote from: Big Sugar on March 23, 2010, 10:40:50 PM
Well I'm pretty sure the spoilers would have came mill finish, So the owner could have easily left it that way, That Polished or Chromed one seems to fit well with the paint finish and surrounding trim. I'd say it is a nice Charger Hemi or No Hemi.

Ron

Nope...spoilers came with primer already applied...brown color...I have an NOS end piece here...they were not mill finish

hemi68charger

Very cool........   :2thumbs:

Thanks for sharing.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Magnumcharger

Nicest original 1966 Hemi Charger I've seen!
I heard tell those spoilers were '67 only. Nice to see it polished.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

FastbackJon

Looks like the '66 I saw in Michigan with the polished spoiler, but that was an F code car (361) with a 440 swapped in.

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

terrible one

Very interesting stuff guys! Hopefully I can talk to him more about the car and that spoiler. With the info from you guys, Id say the spoiler was probably purchased somewhere along the line at the dealership or something. It was definitely on the car when he bought it. And Ill bet he will be tickled to hear about the rarity of the disc brake option.

elacruze

These 1st gen Chargers are really starting to grow on me.  :scratchchin:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

TeeWJay426

That is one super nice '66 Hemi! As far as the spoiler, here's the one that was on my old '66. Was installed by the original owner back in '67; he was a Dodge dealer parts manager, and bought it over the counter.

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

FastbackJon

Quote from: terrible one on March 23, 2010, 06:55:59 PM

I can't help but mention, the "blue lines" just don't look right. They look like someone took a white-line tire and colored it blue. Here's a reference shot:

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Big Sugar

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Brock Samson

wonder if it's not this ex-cali car with the spoiler added... note the power windows..

ITSA426

Jon, the tires look like Coker repops of the Goodrich blue line tire, and not the original Goodyear Blue Streak specials in your reference pic.  They also come in gold line, just like they did back in the day

A383Wing

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 26, 2010, 07:16:39 PM
wonder if it's not this ex-cali car with the spoiler added... note the power windows..

Clock and a 4 speed trans also...but has Hurst shifter...should be Inland style

terrible one

Quote from: ITSA426 on March 26, 2010, 08:04:53 PM
Jon, the tires look like Coker repops of the Goodrich blue line tire, and not the original Goodyear Blue Streak specials in your reference pic.  They also come in gold line, just like they did back in the day

He did say that they were radial repops. The spare that he had in the trunk looked EXACTLY like the reference picture Jon posted. Definitely not a very good "match" but gives the original theme at least I guess.

terrible one

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 26, 2010, 07:16:39 PM

It sure looks similar! This one is an automatic though.

FastbackJon

That other silver one (ex Cali) was Gil's car. He must have sold it, eh?

Mikesmoparperformance

Very cool car i love these 66 chargers! more and more
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI