News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Daytona in Lynnwood, WA

Started by HANDM, March 27, 2010, 03:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANDM

Well since this is my first post, I figured I'd better make it a good one.
First some background, I have been lurking here for a while but haven't posted yet. I have a 69 SE 383 auto that I am "restoring" for my wife (her first Charger, triple black, 383 4 Barrel got smashed by a tree about 18 yrs ago), so far I have replaced the trunk, quarter patches and misc small patches here and there. Overall a very solid car, It is sitting in epoxy right now awaiting full on spring so I can cut it in and get some color on it. I have most of the parts to put back together, still need a headliner sill plates and whatnot (I'll find out when I start reassembly :rofl:)

Now onto the main reason for this very important first post,
The other day my wife was out driving and spotted this, in a driveway in Lynnwood WA. Appears to be real, but I couldn't get any closer (being a mopar nutter, it was HARD) I was hoping the owner would see my 70 Challenger in his driveway and come out , but no such luck.
These are crappy cell pics for now, but I will bring the good camera next time :2thumbs:

tan top

hello & welcome  HandM  :cheers: :cheers:  

good spot   :o  real one ??   looks unrestored  :yesnod:   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

A383Wing

I remember that car...friend of mine drove by it years ago and snapped a pic of it before the horizontal part of the wing was stolen. (If it's the same car)

If I remember, the car was not exactly in the section of Seattle where you would take yer kids for a walk

Magnumcharger

OK...the world is a pathetic place sometimes!! Who the heck would steal the CENTER SECTION of a Daytona wing?
People are CRAZY! :RantExplode:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

learical1

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 27, 2010, 05:15:11 PM
OK...the world is a pathetic place sometimes!! Who the heck would steal the CENTER SECTION of a Daytona wing?
People are CRAZY! :RantExplode:

easiest part to steal.  all you need is 2 guys and a big allen wrench.
Bruce

superbirdtom

That car I mentioned somewhere on here before . I saw it at a self storage yard in lynnwood and freaked out . the next day it was gone. Hey go knock on their door.

hemi68charger

That for sure is a "one for the books" find.. I've stumbled across two such wing cars in the past; a hemi bird and 440 Daytona..

It would be nice if you were able to find more about the car. Guess it lost its storage?

Thanks for sharing......... Now...... No more lurking......  :rotz:

Cheers,
Troy             :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

HANDM

I'm gonna keep driving by on a regular basis and see if I can catch the owner to see what the story is.
I will be posting more when I start back in on the Charger as I will need some serious support
Here is a pic of it before I fixed the fender
And one of my E's and another of the 66

I'll pose the pics individually, it won't let me do em together.

A383Wing

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 27, 2010, 09:55:11 PM
That for sure is a "one for the books" find.. I've stumbled across two such wing cars in the past; a hemi bird and 440 Daytona..

It would be nice if you were able to find more about the car. Guess it lost its storage?

From what I remember, it's a 440 auto car....

HANDM

HANDM

The 66

A383Wing

Ok...just got off the phone with a friend of mine who saw the car in an alley in Central Seattle district...it's the same car he took pic of.

He told me tonight that car was in real bad shape, rear window panels were rusted out, all the windows were rolled down, no dash, no gauges, no headliner.....and that was 26 years ago....and floorboards were rusted through as well.

That's my  :Twocents: worth

Bryan

HANDM

It certainly looks like a broken down rusted out shitbox :smilielol:, but hey It's a DAYTONA and I am SURE he's gonna restore it someday :nana:

472 R/T SE

Hello fellow NW'er.  Welcome to the forum.  If you go to the local Mopar shows I'm sure I've seen ya'.

Those look like a couple nice E bodies as well.  I see your signature says the Chally shows as a 318 car.  Is that original?  Reason I ask is the 340 call outs on the hood.

HANDM

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 27, 2010, 11:52:53 PM
Hello fellow NW'er.  Welcome to the forum.  If you go to the local Mopar shows I'm sure I've seen ya'.

Those look like a couple nice E bodies as well.  I see your signature says the Chally shows as a 318 car.  Is that original?  Reason I ask is the 340 call outs on the hood.

Alas, you have found me out! It is just a wee little 318 bored to around 327.6 cloned to resemble a R/T. I bought the hood from good ol Craigslist and it already had the 340 callouts on it. The hood had the scoops, blockouts, nos front trim and the D O D G E callouts for just 350! I know there were no 340 R/T Challengers in 70, so really, I should pull the R/T badges and hood callouts off and just go with the A44 (I think that's the code, for 340 dual exhaust) look

Here is a better picture of the Daytona

nascarxx29

Good find thanks for sharing the pictures and story :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

elacruze

Hey,
Slap a DodgeCharger.com sticker on his front door!
That should bring him around.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

kw mopar

Not too many rough Daytona's sitting in front driveways anymore. Keep us informed about the car and welcome to the site. There is a lot of info here. Rob.

nascarxx29

I do show in older 79 records a XX29L9B358399 R4 red black interior Herbert Ellis porter way Medford Oregon??? What color int does this one have
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

Quote from: HANDM on March 28, 2010, 12:09:17 AM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on March 27, 2010, 11:52:53 PM

Alas, you have found me out! It is just a wee little 318 bored to around 327.6 cloned to resemble a R/T. I bought the hood from good ol Craigslist and it already had the 340 callouts on it. The hood had the scoops, blockouts, nos front trim and the D O D G E callouts for just 350! I know there were no 340 R/T Challengers in 70, so really, I should pull the R/T badges and hood callouts off and just go with the A44 (I think that's the code, for 340 dual exhaust) look

Here is a better picture of the Daytona

A66 - But close enough!

HANDM

Right! 66 it is  :2thumbs:
44 is the louvers, also a cool look

maxwellwedge

Quote from: HANDM on March 28, 2010, 05:04:10 PM
Right! 66 it is  :2thumbs:
44 is the louvers, also a cool look

Darn right! Love the louvers!

SBBob

I Remember seeing this Daytona on the road in 1975 when I first moved to the Seattle area.  Even when on the road it was in pretty sad shape.  I saw it in the Centrial District (a very rough neighborhood).  Several friends stopped to ask about it and were always told IT IS NOT FOR SALE.  Last time I saw it the center wing was missing and the metal area between the rear glass and trunk lid was completely gone.  It has sat out many years in the wet Seattle rain.  Glad to see it at least has a cover on it.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

A383Wing

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 28, 2010, 08:34:34 AM
I do show in older 79 records a XX29L9B358399 R4 red black interior Herbert Ellis porter way Medford Oregon??? What color int does this one have

It has, or had, white interior

Mopar John

Someone needs to inform the owner that whoever took the center of the wing may come back for the uprights! Both my cars had the trunks pried while in storage to get the wings! One was opened and the wing removed! They should unbolt the uprights and put them in the house! Then the tarp will cover better and the Daytona a little less obvious. I bought mine in 1982 and didn't finish it till 2009! Other things in life slowed the restoration family, house, divorce, etc! Hopefully this owner has a plan to finish the Daytona!

A383Wing

I doubt that will happen...there are a few here (in the area) who know where the missing wing is..if the uprights end up gone....well, you know....

:-X

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on March 30, 2010, 07:52:39 PM
I doubt that will happen...there are a few here (in the area) who know where the missing wing is..if the uprights end up gone....well, you know....

:-X
what are you pulling a johnny cash and getting a real daytona one piece at a time ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

A383Wing

No..I don't have or need the wing...I already have one of the Nascar wings on mine....

All I'm saying is that the wing was stolen about 25 years ago when car was sitting in Central Seattle in alley...I don't have it, but I and a few people know where it is....

HANDM

Ok,  in the interest of the hobby, wouldn't you want to mayhap let the dude know who has the wing in an anonomous kind of way??? :shruggy:
I am willing to drive to the duplex again, get the address, PM it to you, you send the guy a quick note and then we can all sleep at night knowing the wing is back in it's rightfull place.
:popcrn:

grdprx

Interesting story!  Good meeting you Saturday HANDM, quite a collection you have there!  :2thumbs:

Any luck talking to the owner?

billssuperbird

HANDM

Quote from: grdprx on July 26, 2010, 01:55:54 PM
Interesting story!  Good meeting you Saturday HANDM, quite a collection you have there!  :2thumbs:

Any luck talking to the owner?

Nah, I haven't been by there since. And yeah, It was cool that you were able to stop by, gimme a call next time yer in the neighborhood. The 69 will have it's color on within the next couple of weeks :2thumbs:

RallyeMike

I too saw this Daytona on the streets of Seattle on the Northwest side of first hill in the 80's. It was sitting in the street with flat tires and the rear stabilizer was already gone. It didn't look like it had moved for awhile. I tried to buy it too, but the lady with missing teeth who answered the door told me she had a stack of phone numbers two inches high (as indicated by her spread fingers) and it was not for sale. I couldn't have scratched even $500 together at the time anyway! At the time I saw it, it had those plastic pop label stickers all over the interior and was pretty much trashed in and out. I figured out which house it belonged to because the mail box and the house had the labels all over it too. The car later disappeared and in the 90's I saw it parked behind a Dodge dealer on Hwy 99 in N. Seattle, and then it disappeared again. I'm just glad to see this Daytona was not stripped or junked. Considering the area of town it was in, probably the only reason it wasn't stolen and stripped is that it was so clapped out it would never start!

The person who has the stabilizer needs to be informed that their stolen property should be returned to the car. It's the right thing to do.  :nono:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ph23vo

i remember the car also..black guy owned it in the ghetto..last time i saw it was sitting beside NORTH SEATTLE CHRY PLY....no one there seemed to know who owned it or why it was there..that was in the late 80's i believe..a few yrs later i was at a garage in the FISHERMENS TERMINAL area of ballard looking at a car and noticed the missing wing center in the guys rafters..i asked him if it was the stolen one he said yes but that he wasn't who stole it...i remember he had a T bird GASSER in the garage too... hope it gets restored someday..at least its at a house that looks like the owners have a job... also IIRC the daytona was F6/8 green originally NOT RED or orange!

Daytona Guy

I might be wrong, but does it look like it have a 70 side marker?

Dane

5hunert

Just like most of the Seattle area folk I saw this in front of the toothless lady's house in Rainier Valley in the mid 1980s (and was also turned down by her).  The only other recollection I had was that it had a hole in the dash big enough to install a home stereo.  My memory may be off, but I seem to remember some leopard print interior customization. 

If the wing is still in the same neighborhood today it's probably gracing the trunk lid of a lowered Civic.

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona Guy on December 21, 2013, 03:11:21 PM
I might be wrong, but does it look like it have a 70 side marker?

Dane

No

tracpack440

Yes ive seen this car in Lynnwood also.  I remember this car in the 80's parked a couple of blocks from Garfield High school. It has racing stickers all over the fenders. Sadly its Just one of those owners that will never sell. And it will just rot there for ever. If I had enough cash to blow I would offer to buy it for more than it was worth just to save it.
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

djcarguy

Quote from: HANDM on March 31, 2010, 10:04:39 PM
Ok,  in the interest of the hobby, wouldn't you want to mayhap let the dude know who has the wing in an anonomous kind of way??? :shruggy:
I am willing to drive to the duplex again, get the address, PM it to you, you send the guy a quick note and then we can all sleep at night knowing the wing is back in it's rightfull place.
    I Think after 5 or 10 years of abuse an negect ,There should bee a legal way to prove the owner unfit an resue abused cars before they turn too a stain,rust stain  on the ground?? my opionion get a forklift an enclosed hauler go an save this poor old wing car. then ask where the top of wing is at an reunite it with the old car in dry storage till paper work can bee gotten an restore this wing machine. :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: :pity: :2thumbs:

djcarguy

Quote from: djcarguy on January 01, 2014, 06:18:25 AM
Quote from: HANDM on March 31, 2010, 10:04:39 PM
    I Think after 5 or 10 years of abuse an negect ,There should bee a legal way to prove the owner unfit an resue abused cars before they turn too a stain,rust stain  on the ground?? my opionion get a forklift an enclosed hauler go an save this poor old wing car. then ask where the top of wing is at an reunite it with the old car in dry storage till paper work can bee gotten an restore this wing machine. :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: :pity: :2thumbs:

HANDM

Just Updating this thread...

The poor car is STILL sitting there, under several thrashed tarps with just the right quarter exposed.......

A383Wing

it will probably sit there just as long as it was sitting in the "other part of Seattle" when it was not covered up at all

RallyeMike

10 years from now it will be in pretty much the same shape it is now. With all the rust-out, the water is just passing through it. Someday it will be a good project for someone with motivation.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

HANDM

Still there with a better tarp on it....  :'(

tracpack440

Very sad. I drive bye it every other week.

RallyeMike

Compared to the red one Devil has reported on, this one at least a new tarp going for it! Good thing since we just had the wettest winter of all time I suppose.

:'(
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

500Jon

Hi HandM and other Aero's!

I would give an arm and a kidney to get this Daytona, but I know of other Daytona's closer and probably get-able!
If I was Stateside I would find out whats going on here in Lynnwood??? :scratchchin:

Everyone sells in the end, its all about timing.
I have chased cars for years without a luck and then it gets sold to a dealer or a chancer for half the money I was offering! :slap:

That's how it goes sometimes , a dollar short and a day late lol... :shruggy:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

HANDM

Update, The car is gone, looks like they moved out of the duplex....

Where did it go?  :shruggy:
Will it show up some where else?  :shruggy:
Did the owner finally smarten up and sell it?  :shruggy:
All good questions..... will they be answered someday  :shruggy:

500Jon

Thanx for the update HandM!

Any color but RED for me lol!
I know of a F5 green Daytona that needs a full resto too.
More my sorta color and closer to home (limeyland).

Many, many thanx for the 'HEADS-UP' on the Lynnwood Daytona.
Twenty years ago I would have drove the GUY mad with enquiries.
I just retired and my misses says no more RUSTY wrecks...

Oh well, betta fix the ones I got... :pity: :pity: :pity:
My C500 is rarer and less rusty than most Daytona's I've seen lately.

Without Daydreams life is just a NIGHTMARE... Walter Mitty... :2thumbs:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Recovering Farm Boy

The Daytona has moved North to the Everett area.  When I first saw it I almost steered into a ditch.  I have a picture of the vin tag on the dash and it checks out as being shipped to the S. L. Savidge dealership in August of '69.  The dude that answered the door (without a shirt on) at 4pm said he bought it new from BBC Dodge in Bellevue.  The car looks even sadder now than in the posts from 7 years ago.  The tires are deflated and it's sitting on the rims.  His apartment was quite cluttered as if he had been there 20 years but after finding this post I know he has just moved.  He did take my business card when we were done talking but his heart wasn't in it.  He said he didn't want it fixed up as it would just become a daily driver.  He obviously is attached to the car.  I had to knock VERY hard before he answered.  One interesting thing is that one of the many stickers on the front drivers side quarter panel is a "440-six pack", wonder if it was dealer installed or if he had it added later?

tracpack440

Thanks for the update.  ? How can you tell it was shipped to SL Savage from the vin tag.

hemigeno

Quote from: tracpack440 on January 10, 2017, 05:37:23 AM
How can you tell it was shipped to SL Savage from the vin tag.

From the Daytona Shipping List, which has been published in the WW/NBOA club newsletters (ca. 2002-03).