News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manual to Power Brakes

Started by THE STIG, April 01, 2010, 08:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE STIG

My 70 has oldschool manual drum brakes and Im looking to upgrade. What exctly is needed to convert to power brakes is it just a matter of throwing in a booster or is there more to it than that? And then when I do have the power brakes working what about a disc conversion, will the disc setup work with what I already have? I tried asking these questions at my local Autozone and the dude asked "what are manual brakes?" I felt like I was talking to Corky from "Life Goes On".

acelondon

There is a thread about a rear disc conversion. ill look for it for you, also front disc should be easy. It was a stock option, so you should be able to grab factory parts from a local store.

I would go disc FIRST. Drums major flaw is they lock and over heat. They have MASSIVE stopping power, after all trains and semi's use them. I would seriously not bother going power with drums, all you'll do is make them lock faster. Go manual disc, then power, or just go power disc.

My charger has manual disc front and drum rear. I recently put factory style new calipers and slotted/drilled rotors from summit up front, and factory drums/shoes back. Stops like a dream, no power needed for my small block.

BlueSS454

I took mine from a manual drum to a power disc.  I used the spindles, caliper brackets, dust shields, calipers, brake hoses, and rotors from a 78 Magnum, the Master Cylinder for a 71 B body disc brake car, and a correct 69 Charger power disc brake booster.  You have to put offset upper control arm bushings in as well to bring it into correct alignment also.  You will need to use the drum brake metal brake lines as the disc lines are bent different along the firewall.
Tom Rightler