News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black superbirds i saw in 1988 KINGSTON New york ( and others )

Started by moparstuart, April 10, 2010, 03:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

i was digging out some of my old photos to scan to keep safe . I ran across these of this black superbird
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

nose is leaded in   lots of bondo on it , gold accents

notes i have is the guy wanted 30k for it way back them.  440 4 barrel , bench , 4 speed pistol grip , original lime light  19k miles on the clock but rough .

I took these pictures in june of 88

moparstuart

:popcrn:  larry pictures of another black superbird for you ., and no vynil top too.

sorry i did not get a picture or write down the vin , but i got the lic plate number

hotrod98

That car would have looked a lot better if he had left the gold off of it. Without the vinyl top, it looks a lot like my bird.
I've been wishy washy about putting the vinyl top on mine. It would look less like a clone with the vinyl top but I'm just not sure. I don't mind spending the money and I do plan to re-install the vt moldings. Hard decision.

I could go several different directions. Rims, tires, hood, vt, etc. The current plan is to pretty much leave it as is. I should have it painted by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Here's an early pic of the car when it had the vinyl top.  What do you guys think?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

moparstuart

i was wondering if this was the former kenny bracket car just less the hood scoops and the feathers painted over   :shruggy: :shruggy:  because his has alot of gold  on the black  ?

moparstuart

kennys car   black with gold

moparstuart

or how about this one with red trim,

A383Wing

Now wait a minute....I didn't think red decals were available? I thought only black & white?

I noticed the front has the round 'bird decal on the passenger side...thought it was always on drivers side?

<now I'm really confuzed>

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on April 10, 2010, 11:53:48 PM
Now wait a minute....I didn't think red decals were available? I thought only black & white?

I noticed the front has the round 'bird decal on the passenger side...thought it was always on drivers side?

black is the only factory head lamp decal , but people like me either have had them made or painted on custom, 70's and 80's has a ton of custom paint .  No real (correct birds came in black either but customs are out there  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 10, 2010, 04:55:41 PM
That car would have looked a lot better if he had left the gold off of it. Without the vinyl top, it looks a lot like my bird.
I've been wishy washy about putting the vinyl top on mine. It would look less like a clone with the vinyl top but I'm just not sure. I don't mind spending the money and I do plan to re-install the vt moldings. Hard decision.

I could go several different directions. Rims, tires, hood, vt, etc. The current plan is to pretty much leave it as is. I should have it painted by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Here's an early pic of the car when it had the vinyl top.  What do you guys think?

Personally I don't care for vyl tops, especially up here in the NW.  Rain makes a mess of things.

First thing I thought was just because it's a real Bird it should have the V T so people automatically don't think clone.  But since it's black most folks will think it's not a factory built Superbird to begin with imo.  Correct me if I'm wrong but there weren't any factory TX9 cars right?  The hood will further give a clone impression.

IMO lots of folks will find it hard to believe someone customized a factory 4 speed Superbird in this day & age.

If it were mine I'd leave the top off until/if it ever got a factory correct restoration.  As it is the purists are gonna snivel & shake their head but MCG's gonna love ya'.  ;)

:Twocents:   :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 11, 2010, 12:38:03 AM
Quote from: hotrod98 on April 10, 2010, 04:55:41 PM

Here's an early pic of the car when it had the vinyl top.  What do you guys think?

Personally I don't care for vyl tops, especially up here in the NW.  Rain makes a mess of things.

First thing I thought was just because it's a real Bird it should have the V T so people automatically don't think clone.  But since it's black most folks will think it's not a factory built Superbird to begin with imo.  Correct me if I'm wrong but there weren't any factory TX9 cars right?  The hood will further give a clone impression.

IMO lots of folks will find it hard to believe someone customized a factory 4 speed Superbird in this day & age.

If it were mine I'd leave the top off until/if it ever got a factory correct restoration.  As it is the purists are gonna snivel & shake their head but MCG's gonna love ya'.  ;)

:Twocents:   :Twocents:
MCG    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  larry i will park next to you every time   

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on April 11, 2010, 12:20:32 AM

black is the only factory head lamp decal , but people like me either have had them made or painted on custom, 70's and 80's has a ton of custom paint .  No real (correct birds came in black either but customs are out there  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

don't listen to him.  only nutjobs run white nose decals.

(I'm no better, though--I'm going to run one of those reflective tail stripes Patik just made on the back of the B5 car...)

so, is that the future (one year later) carlisle giveaway car? 

nascarxx29

:scratchchin: Not from NY as far as I know but there is a black superbird that was also a original lime green car was Dennis M .Thats the cars magazine flame paint job superbird.And note there are by me some retro superbird to show you what they did to them back in the day.These 2 examples of retro are not near me .But this is what was done back in the day I got pictures
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,68248.0.html

tan top

good pictures !! like superbirds with  out a vinyl :yesnod:  look more aero !
wonder  where them cars are now  !!
thanks for piosting :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on April 11, 2010, 01:04:33 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on April 11, 2010, 12:20:32 AM

don't listen to him.  only nutjobs run white nose decals.

(I'm no better, though--I'm going to run one of those reflective tail stripes Patik just made on the back of the B5 car...)

so, is that the future (one year later) carlisle giveaway car? 
wow dougy i'm flattered your going to use my tail stripe dave made for me   , I loveit it

xs29j8Bullitt

Sometimes the small decal is on both sides...  :icon_smile_big:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

nascarxx29

The carlisle giveaway black with gold vinyl top :shruggy:

hotrod98

Great pics and info.
There have been a lot more black Superbirds out there than I realized. Part of me wants to restore my bird back to yellow and the other part wants to stay with the color that the car is best known for. I have the flat hood and the rallye wheels so the transformation wouldn't be that expensive, but since car show season is upon us, the correct decision for now is black. No gold though. Not my cup of tea.  ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

I vote keep it black , it stands out and you orf someone else could always make it yellow later very easily  :Twocents:

hotrod98

I may take the Boyds off of Sandra's Cuda and try them on the bird.
Remember the photoshop of my Daytona clone with the Boyds?

Charles Addams

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

Quote from: 41husk on April 11, 2010, 08:42:40 PM
Man that is a nice looking Daytona Clone :icon_smile_big:
yeah who ever owns that thing , is one lucky guy