News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Superbird Build

Started by dreamcatcher, April 25, 2010, 08:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbirdtom

boy  ac is the only way to go   looks great don  a one of a kind  built the way you like it well done!

moparstuart

Quote from: superbirdtom on October 05, 2010, 09:44:22 PM
boy  ac is the only way to go   looks great don  a one of a kind  built the way you like it well done!
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Highbanked Hauler

like the color, beautiful job :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

DoubleDlover

So what are we doing for the rear window moldings??? ron

billssuperbird

:cheers: :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs: let me know on the rear window molding :scratchchin:

dreamcatcher

Well now I can make us all feel old...I had a glass company come down to install my new windshield in the bird.The guy didnt have any idea how to do it  :shruggy: I had the guy leave yesterday because he couldnt figure it out and was going to mess up my paint job  :brickwall: Said he had never installed a window in a car this old  :shruggy:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

moparstuart

Quote from: dreamcatcher on October 12, 2010, 07:38:16 AM
Well no I can make us all feel old...I had a glass company come down to install my new windshield in the bird.The guy didnt have any idea how to do it  :shruggy: I had the guy leave yesterday because he couldnt figure it out and we going to mess up my paint job  :brickwall: Said he had never installed a window in a car this old  :shruggy:
thats  sad   :brickwall:

montana bird

dreamcatcher

The glass company sent out a different guy today.He knew what he was doing.Did a very nice job and was more careful with my car than I am  :lol: These windows are different for sure.I was surprised to find out that with this windshield you instal the rubber seal followed by the window.Then the rubber kind of locks together after it is in.Anyway I am ever so much closer! :icon_smile_big:
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

moparstuart

Quote from: dreamcatcher on October 13, 2010, 08:50:49 PM
The glass company sent out a different guy today.He knew what he was doing.Did a very nice job and was more careful with my car than I am  :lol: These windows are different for sure.I was surprised to find out that with this windshield you instal the rubber seal followed by the window.Then the rubber kind of locks together after it is in.Anyway I am ever so much closer! :icon_smile_big:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
  the new glass is thinner and will most likely allow it to leak around the rubber , plus these old cars leak everywhere else also .

BigBlockSam

Quotethese old cars leak everywhere else also .

yep , very true  :yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dreamcatcher

:shruggy:  Well....I got this far and now the transmission dont work.I put in a re-built 727 and she no go... :RantExplode: Nothing in 1 or 2 or drive and nothing in reverse...figures..This is the way it has been from the start!Engine fired right up and runs fine...but no go.....Full of fluid ...when I put it in gear I felt it grab then nothing...Are there any of those pintos left  :nana: I swear I could fall into a barell full of teats and come out sucking on my thumb!  :brickwall:

Brock Samson

I swear I could fall into a barell full of teats and come out sucking on my thumb!

:lol: 

moparstuart

Quote from: dreamcatcher on October 14, 2010, 07:55:50 PM
:shruggy:  Well....I got this far and now the transmission dont work.I put in a re-built 727 and she no go... :RantExplode: Nothing in 1 or 2 or drive and nothing in reverse...figures..This is the way it has been from the start!Engine fired right up and runs fine...but no go.....Full of fluid ...when I put it in gear I felt it grab then nothing...Are there any of those pintos left  :nana: I swear I could fall into a barell full of teats and come out sucking on my thumb!  :brickwall:
you might consult with RD on this board he is a tranny expert

dreamcatcher

Thanks Stuart I sent him a message.I can do almost anything on a car from engines to body ,paint and interior.But never tried to do an auto transmission before.And don't really want to.Other than it not going its great  :lol: And it is done now.Well after I get it to move that is.I will post some finished pictures when I can.Thanks again.

dreamcatcher

Well I have added the last few touches to my bird.I installed the fender scoups and A-piller covers.I painted these cheap ones to get by for now.Might change them at a later date when I heal up from this whole project.It took a lot of modification to even get them to fit.But my bird it custom and I dont think they look too bad.

Charger-Bodie

Looking great....Now the fun can begin!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

montana bird

Very Cool. Now go out and make some heads turn. :ricky: :ricky:

sound5262

your bird that you have is quiet something. congradulations!!!!! i have a question though, do you put the crome molding on under the air reflectors, and it appeared that your window plug was a janek one, do you cut anything before you install it? we are in the process of test fitting all the parts now. steve

dreamcatcher

I didnt use the stainless air deflectors on mine mine are just fiberglass painted,There is a guy on here that sells very nice stainless ones.And yes it is a Janak window plug.There is a piece that has to be trimmed off on the underside of the plug.It is just part of the mold when they cast the piece.You trim it off so the plug will lay flat.No cutting on the car itself.Let me know if you have any questions.I think I have been through it all  :eek2:

sound5262

thanks for the info. i'm assuming the piece you are talking about is the long piece that is hitting the car below the existing window? steve

dreamcatcher

Yes that is the piece.Trim it down just so your plug lays flat on the car.That is all the modifing needed for the rear window.

DoubleDlover

Hi. well. We still havent seen anything about what your doing for rear window moldings....

70Sbird

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
  the new glass is thinner and will most likely allow it to leak around the rubber , plus these old cars leak everywhere else also .

[/quote]
I'm with you there brother
after the downpour that was the trip to Talladega last year the glass compnay that installed my new windshield sealed it agin this fall and found that their original job leaked. the process of sealing new glass intoo and old car seems to be a lost art
Scott

Scott Faulkner

dreamcatcher

Quote from: DoubleDlover on December 09, 2010, 10:32:16 PM
Hi. well. We still havent seen anything about what your doing for rear window moldings....

I did get a molding of sort that looks good.I will post a picture later.Truth is I had this thing purring and was ready to load it up for the exhaust shop.It quit in my drive way over three weeks ago.I have spent three weeks trying to figure it out.At this point I am about to pull the engine and replace it with a 429 ford engine.No one can figure it out.I can get it running but it pops very loudly out the exhaust.Like it is about to blow apart.I have changed the carb the dist.and even the intake manifold and gasket.I've checked for bent or missing push rods and stuck valves.I can not find anything wrong.I cant keep it running long enough to really trace anything down.I am about sick of the thing and at this point dont really know if I even want it any more.I might belong back in the ford camp I guess.  :eek2: