News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Superbird Build

Started by dreamcatcher, April 25, 2010, 08:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound5262

the rear window molding i'm using is made by janak. it's a one piece fiberglass that comes black (at least mine did) i think it looks good and it fits perfect, even better.

sound5262

when the window plug was installed, i noticed that the metal frame was sticking up higher than the plug. the area i'm talking about is at the very bottom of the stock window in the middle. does one beat the hell out of this to make it go down in order to make a back panel that fits over the deck covering the speakers as well as fitting up against the back seat. i hope this makes since. any suggestions?

hotrod98

Quote from: dreamcatcher on December 10, 2010, 09:50:47 AM
Quote from: DoubleDlover on December 09, 2010, 10:32:16 PM
Hi. well. We still havent seen anything about what your doing for rear window moldings....

I did get a molding of sort that looks good.I will post a picture later.Truth is I had this thing purring and was ready to load it up for the exhaust shop.It quit in my drive way over three weeks ago.I have spent three weeks trying to figure it out.At this point I am about to pull the engine and replace it with a 429 ford engine.No one can figure it out.I can get it running but it pops very loudly out the exhaust.Like it is about to blow apart.I have changed the carb the dist.and even the intake manifold and gasket.I've checked for bent or missing push rods and stuck valves.I can not find anything wrong.I cant keep it running long enough to really trace anything down.I am about sick of the thing and at this point dont really know if I even want it any more.I might belong back in the ford camp I guess.  :eek2:

You may have flattened a lobe on the cam or possibly bent a valve. Hope not.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

montana bird

Hope you were using a zinc additive in your oil.  Us old car guys now have to use a zinc additive in our oil if the oil does not have it. The oil company quit putting zinc in the oil as new cars have roller cams and do not require it. I have a buddy that broke his cam and lifters in his new rebuild and did not use zinc. All rebuild motor company's will not warranty there non roller motors without it. :scratchchin:

dreamcatcher

No... I dont use zink...never had issues with the newer oil.It just depends on your point of view I guess.Like low sulfer diesel in my 2000 dodge truck.Some say it will hurt it.But at 200000 miles she still runs great!I have built a bunch of engines and never had cam problems with any.I either use castrol or rotella truck oil in most of mine...oil is oil....turned out the back carb was flowing gas into the manifold (un-detected) and fuel fowled about half the plugs they were a mess with big clumps of burnt fuel on them.....also the mallory dist. burnt up...(twice now) and at 75.00 a wack lets just say you couldnt run fast enough to give me another mallory ANYTHING! I had an old points dist. laying there and put it in for now.I changed the six pack to a 4bbl manifold changed plugs and she once again runs like a top.I will go ahead and get the exhaust done and re-work my six pack to go on later.I used some molding on my rear window from a place called flex chrome...not right but looks very nice and I spent under 75.00 and I like it.I hope to post a picture here in the next day of so.What a month!Merry Christmas to all!
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

superbirdtom

don't give up on the mopar engine. get it to a mopar expert and just have it rebuilt. youve gone too far to throw in the towel  it looks great and I like the painted deflectors  looks real custom and goes with the cars theme.    Send  the motor to a good mopar engine builder  and get that 426 back in there.  youve spent so much time and got the ac going an all. Good luck!  let us know what happens

dreamcatcher

Thanks Tom,I did get it running good again.I get up set but NEVER throw in the towel....I want to leave it as it is now till I get the exhaust on it.It runs good but I took off the six-pack and went to a point dist. and that isn't how I want it.I am going to send off the 3 carbs to have them redone before I put it back on.And I think I will just go with a mopar electric ignition.I just never installed a engine I didn't build myself so was very unsure about the thing from the start.Then it is my first mopar engine as well so just trying to get used to the change as well.There are differences for sure.But I wanted to try mopar for a change of pace.Will post a picture soon of the rear window trim and on how it turns out.  :coolgleamA:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE