News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UCA threads for ball joint damaged

Started by AmadeusCharger500, May 17, 2010, 08:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I just removed the driver side upper ball joint on a 73 project. I used a torch and yanked with a pry bar. The ball joint came out almost to the last threads and then just kept turning and turning. I had to find a way to pry on it and turn at the same time to get it out the remainder. Looking at the threads in the UCA they look a little out of whack to me. Is there any way to chase new threads on this thing or do I just install the new ball joint and hope for the best?

elacruze

Those threads don't look like threads you're accustomed to seeing on fasteners. If the arm is not obviously damaged by mechanics or heat, I'd say put a new one in-if it's as hard to get in as the old one came out, you're fine. It should lay flat on the flange, not cockeyed. If you can't get it to sit straight it's no-go.

Worst case is you have a good excuse to get some aftermarket upper control arms.
:cheers:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.